PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips-going to Balt with 20 mos old DS

avalonmom
06-15-2012, 12:28 AM
We leave next week so I need some last min travel tips. We have a direct flight but it's 3 hrs so I need activities. I bought sticker books, flap books. I will be holding him in my lap. Any activity suggestions or ideas regarding how to help prevent ear trouble? I'm frankly worried on how to keep him in my lap as he's a wiggle worm and just wants to always get down. Scared this might be a nightmare trip...

Car seat- I think I will just bring the old snug ride 35 as his head still is an inch below and I'm worried if we brought the Boulevard it will get ruined (like our stroller last summer). I am going to ticket counter check the car seat.

Stroller- got the Maclaren starck for this trip as I again was too nervous to chance checking the BJCM. I will gate check the Starck.

Aquarium?- I've read on here that strollers aren't allowed? Is it still advisable to go with a 20 mo old?
Children's museum- appropriate for this age?
Any other things to do? Any suggestions on the travel plan above?
Thanks!

ciw
06-15-2012, 08:32 AM
You'll definitely want to hit the aquarium. (You're right -- no strollers there). There's also the Baltimore Zoo. And lots of people seem to like Port Discovery (though we personally despise the place).

Through Tuesday the tall ships will be in Baltimore so that should be great fun to see -- but it means that EVERYTHING will be packed and parking will be very difficult. More info on the ships here: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/history/1812-war/bal-baltimore-sailabration-guide-20120614,0,613607.story

Seitvonzu
06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
we live north of baltimore, so i don't really have any "city" advice, but i did want to say that i wouldn't check the car seat. it's *possible* that your 20 month old might get a seat.... i would just gate check the seat with the stroller on the off chance that that might happen. you'd MUCH rather have your child in their own seat if it's available and gate checking the seat gives you that flexibility!

aquarium... i'm sorta "eh" on it. but it probably depends on your child. mine likes it (we went once, inlaws paid), but wasn't gaga or anything. it's definitely doable in just a couple hours. and you are right- no strollers. if i was going just me & kid-- well,no way! i wouldn't do it. not at 20 months! but if there were a couple of adults to offload on... maybe. it's expensive for what it is, imo. but people really like it.

zoo--i don't really like the baltimore zoo. i think it takes too long to get to any animals. you seriously have to walk like a half mile from the parking lot to the main entrance (or wait for a tram, which may or may not be running, and if it is its VERY sporadic...even on saturday. in the summer. ??? wouldn't that be prime time for the zoo? *sigh*) the food is terrible and there isn't tons of vending throughout the zoo (like icecream/water... you have to go to the main food area.. when we went there were some carts throughout the zoo but they were closed... it was hot! we were THIRSTY!!!). i just don't think it's well run *shrug* once you get to the main part of the zoo it is natural/lovely, i just think it's a stressful experience. caveat-- i'm used to the st. louis zoo which is beautiful, well run, and FREE. so my zoo expectations might be screwy :):):)

port discovery-- we've been twice and i do feel that my child enjoyed it both times. i enjoyed it more the first time when it was less crowded :) you can't really figure out when that is going to happen though... i guess midweek? you still might run into camps/daycares or something though. for little ones they have some special programs that are sweet and VERY well done. we did those the first time (they are in a seperate young kid room) and my daughter really enjoyed them. at first i thought "we paid to go to library story time?" but it was better somehow and i found it to be worthwhile. there is a water room that's really cool. the kids can stand in a giant bubble (super popular attraction) there is also a HUGE climbing structure in the middle that's fun if your child is the sort that would enjoy that-- it's caged in and safe, but you would have to go with a 20 month old (my 3 year old wanted to do it herself last year). i think there would be enough there for a 20 month old...depending on how adventurous they are...some of the stuff is too old, and some is too young for my 4 year old now. they definitely try to hit a wide range.

enjoy your trip! (don't check the carseat until the gate!!!)

acmom
06-16-2012, 07:55 AM
We just came back from a trip to Baltimore with our DC (just turned 2 and 3.5). We were there for a family wedding so we didn't have a ton of time to do other stuff, but we did go to the Inner Harbor and the Aquarium for a day. The kids liked walking around the Harbor area and seeing the ships and the whole family had fun at the aquarium. We went on a weekend, but bought out tickets ahead of time and got there right when it opened, so the crowds weren't too bad. I was worried about not having a stroller for my 2 year old DS, but it worked out fine. I meant to bring my beco gemini so my 2 year old could go on my back, but I forgot it and he ended up walking most of it. There was a stroller check area and they will loan you a backpack carrier if you want one. DS was really into the fish, so he basically just went from one exhibit to the next and we carried him if it got busy or were going to another area. Be sure to hit the dolphin discovery area - the kids loved watching the dolphins! And based on advice I got here, we went to a restaurant right outside the aquarium - there were a bunch of kid friendly places really close (Chipotle, Potbelly).

Have fun!

ciw
06-16-2012, 08:25 AM
aquarium... i'm sorta "eh" on it. but it probably depends on your child. mine likes it (we went once, inlaws paid), but wasn't gaga or anything. it's definitely doable in just a couple hours. and you are right- no strollers. if i was going just me & kid-- well,no way!

Well, I agree that I wouldn't do the aquarium solo with a 20 month old. Most of the exhibits will require you lifting the child so he can see and that gets old fast. With two adults to trade off carrying duties it's not so bad. It is expensive if you have to pay full price (which you probably will this time of year) .... but we can make a trip into Baltimore as a long day trip or weekend trip so we visit during the winter when they have cheap Friday admission.

Port Discovery was pretty empty the day we were there. It still really wasn't for us. To me, it's a glorified urban playground. But we live in a more rural area where our kid has plenty of access to outdoor fun. If we were from a more urban area or wanted to give our child a place to blow off steam after being cramped up in a hotel, maybe we'd feel differently.

I agree that your reaction to the zoo will probably be based on what you're accustomed to. There are certainly better (and worse) zoos in the U.S. Just depends what your expectations are. I wouldn't hit it if you're from an area with a great zoo.