PDA

View Full Version : Best double stroller for a 1 yr old & a newborn?

RGBaldino
06-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi, I'm due in jsut about 7 more weeks and I have yet to find a double stroller that I LOVE!!!

Thought I found it in the Baby Jogger City Mini Select but after seeing it in person yesterday I was not impressed that there isn't enough space/legroom between the 2 seats, certain configurations don't allow you to recline the seats, etc. I also looked at the city mini double GT and have heard but not seen the baby jogger city elite double - can't find it not sure why?

The sales lady also mentioned that BJ is coming out with a new double in Sept - anyone know what that is or where I can get info on it?

Thank you ladies =0)

roseyloxs
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I think you are saying you looked at the baby jogger city select. Which is the inline double. The favored inline double on this board is the britax b-ready (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CTPY12). They are having a free ride event starting July 1st. Which means you can get the second seat for free when you buy the stroller from participating dealers like Amazon (who offer free returns in case you don't love it). The select vs the b-ready has been discussed before so I would try using the search function if you want to read more about the debate.

The elite double has been discontinued. The mini gt is supposed to be a good 'do a little bit of everything' kind of stroller.

I have not heard about a new double from Baby Jogger, someone else will have to chime in about that one.

To recommend a double we will need more details from you.

How big is your first; are they tall/short, etc?
Where are you planning to use the stroller?
Will you use it more out of the car, or out of the garage?
Do you have a budget?
Are you willing to look at both inline and side by side strollers?

If I had two kids so close together I think I would look at the mountain buggy duet. If I wanted a reversible I would check out the new valco spark that comes out next month.

RGBaldino
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Wow thanks for all the info! I will definitely look into the 2 recommended so far...the Valco Spark and the MB Duet

I was all for an in line stroller (yes, the city select) until I saw how little room there was for each child, so unless there is one that will be of comfort to both kids for years - I think a side by side would suit us better. We will use the stroller for everything basically we live in long island and I'm guessing in/out of the car use mostly. My 1st is a 1 yr old girl tall and 21 lbs so I want her to be comfortable as well as the baby and grow into the stroller for years to come...

Green22
06-17-2012, 12:37 AM
If you have no budget . . .

I would go with the Spark for its reversible seats if you don't want air tires.
(But my DD refused the stroller until I found one that had a reversible seat, and she used it until about 10 months.)

If you do want air tires I would get something like the Twin TriMode (which I think reclines flat so you can put a newborn in it) or the MB Duo and get a bassinet for the baby.

Multimama
06-17-2012, 04:47 AM
have heard but not seen the baby jogger city elite double - can't find it not sure why?

I am pretty sure the City Elite Double is discontinued.

Are you committed to Baby Jogger? If I had kids that close in age I would also look at the Mountain Buggy Duet, Bumbleride Indie Twin etc.

BabyBearsMom
06-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I'd do a sbs for kids that close in age. The Duet is good if you have small kids. The BJCM gt is good if you have tall kids. The bumbleride indie twin is also a nice option. If you want an inline the B-Ready is awesome. Much more spacious than the city select IMO. My 99th percentile height 2 yo has plenty of space no matter what configuration I use with the baby. We use it a ton and love it.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-17-2012, 08:16 AM
i agree with pp it depends if you want an inline or sbs double, if your kids are tall, etc.

i use my BJCMD for mall trips, indoor stuff ...lightweight, love the fold and the recline is really good for newborns.

though in the beginning when DD was tiny i used my Vista a ton with the bassinet, and just had my DS ride on the board (at 15 mos he was already able to ride).

i too considered the city select but then decided against it, bc it looked like a beast to steer. the Vista was much easier for me. it's more compact, and the rumbleseat doesn't recline but that was never an issue for us at all

for me, i also got a BOB Duallie that i used for walking/jogging outside, but i didn't use it until DD was a little bit older.

RGBaldino
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Thank you all, I made a list of all your suggestions and I'm very excited to go check them all/most out this weekend!! We just sold our Vista for $500 so we can stretch our budget a little and probably double it for a double stroller that will last us for a few years. Most important factor is comfort for both babies <33

We absolutely LOVED the Vista and actually cried to give it up, but my DD is very curious and loves to SEE everything - she's wouldn't last 5 mins in the second seat watching her brother's back, plus it didn't recline and I think she still needs that for naps on long trips, etc.

From what I've seen (which isn't much lol I liked the Mini GT the best so far I think, just wasnt crazy about that huge adapter for the carseat!), but will def look into the Duet - how can it possibly be as wide as a single stroller?? Might be too small for my kids lol, my DD is 1 & 21 lbs although she is tall, but she was born 8.2 lbs so I expect about the same for this baby and def don't want them squished!!

I also checked out the Bugaboo Donkey I believe but it's double the price of the GT doesnt include the second seat and only goes up to 35lbs. so that wont work...

Thnak you so much for all your suggestions. Hope to make a decision soon!!!! Time is running out...!!!

legaleagle
06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I thought the spark does have air tires? The zee will have them as an option. Did someone mention the stroll air my duo already?

Also, a note on weight limits - kids slow way way down on weight gain once theyre toddlers/ preschoolers. Also, stroller weight limits are not like car seats - the stroller won't fail catrastrophically at the weight limit. European strollers ESP tend to be tested to 33 lbs because that's all that's required but will safely hold much more and will push just fine too.

tribe pride
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I thought the spark does have air tires? The zee will have them as an option. Did someone mention the stroll air my duo already?

Also, a note on weight limits - kids slow way way down on weight gain once theyre toddlers/ preschoolers. Also, stroller weight limits are not like car seats - the stroller won't fail catrastrophically at the weight limit. European strollers ESP tend to be tested to 33 lbs because that's all that's required but will safely hold much more and will push just fine too.

The Spark that was shown at the ABC show had rear air tires. If the push is similar to that of the Quad (which is my only experience with Valco), it should be excellent.

Also, I completely agree on the weight limit and size issue. Particularly as it pertains to the MB Duet. I tested it last year with my average sized 3.5yo and 18mo, and was surprised at how well they both fit. Even the 3.5yo had a couple of extra inches under the canopy.

IMO, OP, I would definitely get a Spark or Duet, and look at the Stroll-Air My Duo, before getting a BJCMD. I had a BJCCD (kind of a cross between the BJCMD and the BJCED), and the quality was definitely not as good as on my MBs and Valcos. I'd probably get a Valco Zee before the BJCMD, based simply on my past experience. And I like the looks of the Zee better!

I don't have any experience with Stroll-Air, but it looks really nice. I like that the seats come off when you break it down, so that it weighs less to lift it in and out of the car.

hoodlims
06-18-2012, 11:21 PM
How about doing the Citymini GT with no carseat adapter? I don't know about you, but both my kiddos outgrew their Snugrides by 6m. So glad I didn't factor carseats into my double stroller decision!

strollerqueen
06-20-2012, 11:30 PM

:yeahthat:

RGBaldino
06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Wow...thanks again ladies!!! The Stroll Air My Duo looks amazing!!! I have to see it in person before we make a final decision. I have my list just need to find time to go!!! Thanks again for all the helpful hints & advice.

Can anyone enlighten me a little on the air tires? I'm curious as to why those are better or worse?

roseyloxs
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Air tires add a little weight to the stroller and can go flat if punctured. The upside is that air tires have more give then foam-filled or EVA tires. More give is a bonus to the stroller's suspension making the ride softer for rider and pusher.

trickyhop
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
hi- i checked out the bob and the mb duo, i have 100th percentile newborn and two year old. The 2012 mb duo is on sale on gilt for 543 and that includes the bassinet which will run you 140 seperately, its a great deal, that includes ship. Only in black but its a great stroller.

seashine
08-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Did you end up picking a double? I'm going through the same decision.