PDA

View Full Version : If you are done having kids...

pinkmomagain
06-15-2012, 10:03 AM
do you see a gyn instead of an ob/gyn?

I was complaining to a gf about the long waits in my ob/gyn office. And I just attempted to bring my oldest dd to her first visit and actually walked out after waiting for nearly an hour and being told that it was going to be longer (and I had to get home to get my 1st grader off the bus)! My gf said that I should look for a gyn only and the waits will be a whole lot shorter without all the pregnant patients. Duh, it makes sense! I just feel badly as I like the drs in my current practice and have been a patient there for about 25 years.

So has anyone made that switch and happy that you did?

specialp
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
In reverse. When I was younger and not at a point of having children, I saw a Gyn to avoid the OB delays and it was heavenly. My GYN used to do deliver but dropped the OB part of his practice (turning it over to younger doctors in the practice) as he got older.

swrc00
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Before I started TTC I saw a gyn for the very reason that you described. I never had to wait and she was super attentive. I look forward to going back to her after I am done having kids. In my current OB practice there are two midwives, who don't do deliveries. I go to them for my annuals.

I don't think it would hurt to try another practice for your next visit. You could always switch back.

JBaxter
06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I have seen the same office for 15 yrs Ob/Gyn. Ive never waited more than 15 minutes and unless we move I'll stay.

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2012, 10:26 AM
I think I'll keep going to my midwives. I love them. I feel like they are so thorough and care.

PunkyBoo
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
There are about 5-6 doctors in my ob/ gyn office but I have always had my non-ob appointments with the nurse practitioner kn the office. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Even the pregnancy appts with the drs were pretty quick.

american_mama
06-15-2012, 02:31 PM
In reverse. When I was younger and not at a point of having children, I saw a Gyn to avoid the OB delays and it was heavenly. My GYN used to do deliver but dropped the OB part of his practice (turning it over to younger doctors in the practice) as he got older.

Exactly my story in my teen's and 20's. My mother recommended this exact approach. Fortunately, it's not a problem in the practice I'm currently in. If there are any family practice docs in your area that do gyn, you might consider them for your daughter. Until I had kids, I always felt like the youngest and healthiest person by decades in an internist's office and somewhat in a gyn office. When I went to my first family practice office, I loved the age range and vibrancy of the office, from the patients and employees to the decor and magazines. Fit in much better there.

mommylamb
06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
In my 20s I saw a gyn and used her as my primary care physician too. Now, I still see my midwife for annual stuff. I love her. I can't give her up even if I'm done having kids.

crl
06-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I see a NP at an OB/GYN practice.

Catherine

Kindra178
06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I have been going to a family practice group that doesn't do maternity. It's so nice to have my sick care and well care done at the same place.

brittone2
06-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I think I'll keep going to my midwives. I love them. I feel like they are so thorough and care.

:yeahthat: My visits are more detailed than I've ever experienced with OB/GYNs and I've been to quite a few OB/GYNs through the years. I feel I can be more open with them if I have questions, and they seem to take their time and are thorough. Mine have also been just more comprehensive in terms of seeing how everything else is going in life, you know?

I've been seeing a midwife (we've moved a few times) for my well-woman care for the last 8 years or so.

brgnmom
06-17-2012, 12:08 PM
my primary care physician did my annual pap last year, and I haven't been to an obgyn practice since the 6wk pp visit after my younger child was born 1.5 yrs ago (different location).

Not sure if I'm d.o.ne. as we're leaving the option open, but it's been nice just going to one practice for my full annual exam.

hellokitty
06-17-2012, 12:49 PM
If you go to an ob/gyn office that has midwives or NPs, and all you need is an annual exam, you won't have to deal with the wait. You do need to mention though that you want to just see the nurse, instead of the doctor, if they don't offer you that option.

Melaine
06-17-2012, 02:10 PM
When not pregnant, my GP does exams for me at my well visit.

stinkyfeet
06-17-2012, 02:27 PM
My OB/GYN office has several OBs and a midwife and physicians assistant to help see patients. I actually enjoy seeing the midwife the best bc she spends the most time explaining things to me.

Liziz
06-17-2012, 02:34 PM
When not pregnant, my GP does exams for me at my well visit.

:yeahthat:

hellokitty
06-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I have seen the same office for 15 yrs Ob/Gyn. Ive never waited more than 15 minutes and unless we move I'll stay.

You are incredibly lucky. The ob practice I went to, had me waiting almost 3 hrs, they actually sent me to go, "shopping" one time and then come back. I was not pleased, luckily, DH was watching DS1, so I didn't have him with me or wasn't paying a babysitter. This wasn't unusual. "Normal" waits were anywhere btwn 30-60 min on avg. So, I totally get what the OP is referring to.

smilequeen
06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't think there are many just Gyns around here. I am going to keep seeing my OB/GYN. I really like her and her waits are not bad at all.