PDA

View Full Version : Shuffling feet??

peanut520
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
I've noticed my dd shuffles her feet a bit and ever so slightly turns them in when she walks, and I think it contributes to her tripping more than normal. She does it regularly, but I notice it more when her she starts to outgrows her shoes. I asked the ped about it before when she was a new walker and he said that she will probably outgrow it, she's three now. I asked my friend to observe last night during a play date and she notices it too. She said I should get it checked out because shuffling might indicate something neurological. Well my ped is on vacation on and off the next few weeks and I couldn't get in until 27th. Other than that she is bright cheerful three year old that is pretty average height and a slightly below average weight wise. Is this a big issue? What could it be? Is it something I really need to worry about? I'm turning to you wise ladies and gents here to give me guidance and hopefully calm my current panic.

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Both of my DDs did this at that age and YES it contributed to them tripping, especially with shoes on with rubber soles, walking on a concrete sidewalk! They tripped all.the.time. It really got kind of aggravating! But I am happy to report that at age 3.5, they walk without a shuffle now:) They still trip more often than most kids (but I attribute that to klutziness, not shuffling) but it's so much better.

I'd definitely ask if you're concerned though.

brittone2
06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd say it is unlikely to be an issue if it is your only concern. Intoeing, out toeing, etc. "bowlegs" or "knock knees" are rarely a concern in young children, even in cases where they look pretty substantial. Usually those things correct themselves (obviously not in every case, so it is good to communicate concerns with your physician).

Shuffling is probably nothing as well if her other gross motor skills are on target. Follow up w/ your doc just in case. Do you have any other concerns about her gross motor skills? Vision? Any issues going up and down stairs? Does she jump? Does she run? Does she shuffle when she runs, or just when she walks?

peanut520
06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Both of my DDs did this at that age and YES it contributed to them tripping, especially with shoes on with rubber soles, walking on a concrete sidewalk! They tripped all.the.time. It really got kind of aggravating! But I am happy to report that at age 3.5, they walk without a shuffle now:) They still trip more often than most kids (but I attribute that to klutziness, not shuffling) but it's so much better.

I'd definitely ask if you're concerned though.

Thanks it is nice to know that your DDs outgrew it. I probably have started to worry a lot more with shorts session and tripping.

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks it is nice to know that your DDs outgrew it. I probably have started to worry a lot more with shorts session and tripping.

Yes - LOLOL - I'm always filled a bit with dread when the weather turns warmer because of shorts and skirts and the drama that goes along with skinned knees:)

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
sorry - duplicate post!

peanut520
06-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd say it is unlikely to be an issue if it is your only concern. Intoeing, out toeing, etc. "bowlegs" or "knock knees" are rarely a concern in young children, even in cases where they look pretty substantial. Usually those things correct themselves (obviously not in every case, so it is good to communicate concerns with your physician).

Shuffling is probably nothing as well if her other gross motor skills are on target. Follow up w/ your doc just in case. Do you have any other concerns about her gross motor skills? Vision? Any issues going up and down stairs? Does she jump? Does she run? Does she shuffle when she runs, or just when she walks?

There were no concerns physically when she stands and nothing was ever noted at any of her well child visits of "structural" abnormalities.

Her gross motor skill are on target. She had no issues with her vision, going up and down stairs (except that she has been jumping down the last three steps to my dismay), loves to jump, and run. I think she does do it when he runs also as her gait looks different from the other girls she was playing with last night. It is more noticeable when she walk since you can hear the scrapping of her shoes.

peanut520
06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Yes - LOLOL - I'm always filled a bit with dread when the weather turns warmer because of shorts and skirts and the drama that goes along with skinned knees:)

I seriously stocked up on character band aids when they were on sale for $1 at wegman's!

peanut520
06-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Duplicate

sophiesmom03
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
DDI did this. She did have EI and services through school for PT. The PT used to have her do "marshmallow feet" where she was to pick them up and put them down quietly. I would use the cue with her, and she thought it was fun, so it would help her correct it. She did grow out of it.

peanut520
06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I worried when my neighbor said neurological.

peanut520
07-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Just a quick update. I decided to keep the ped appt and it was a good thing be because it turned out that she had strep. The ped did refer us to see an orthopedic. We saw one of the most highly recommended/rated pediatric orthopedic dr in the area. He said she is completely normal. X-rays to confirm no bone growth abnormalities or other issues. Apparently all kids are bow legged then they become knock kneed until puberty. He did agree that her intoeing is probably causing her to trip more, but said that she will adjust her gait on her own. Thanks everyone for all the advice and support.