PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax, VA mommas (not city)

PMJ
06-15-2012, 11:13 PM
We are not in Fairfax city - but about 5 -8 miles from there maybe.

Need some recommendations for the following:

1) Waxing place...! (not too pricey)

2) Pre-Schools - church or other

thanks !

Cam&Clay
06-16-2012, 12:39 AM
More specific please. Fairfax is HUGE. Which area of the county?

egoldber
06-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Yes, the "Fairfax" address is used by anyone in Fairfax County who does not live in one of the specific towns (Herndon, Vienna, Great Falls, etc.).

g-mama
06-16-2012, 08:16 AM
It depends on which direction from Fairfax City. I'm 5-8 miles from Fairfax City, too, towards Centreville. Which area are you?

PMJ
06-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Oh okay...sorry did not realize that Fairfax was used by everyone in this area.

We are near Fair Oaks Mall.

thanks!

Cam&Clay
06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Waxing I can't help you with over there, but I do recommend a preschool/daycare. Winwood in Fairfax is an excellent school. DS1 went to the Reston one for two years and we were very happy. A good friend of mine sent her DD to the Fairfax one from birth to preK.

egoldber
06-16-2012, 10:11 AM
For waxing I have used the Red Door Spa at Fairfax Corner, but it is pricey.

g-mama
06-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Are you looking for a full-time preschool or part-time? Winwood has a good reputation. It is full time, preschool within a daycare.

If you're looking for part-time, I would recommend Pender Hill Preschool in the Pender United Methodist Church, right on Rt. 50 by Fair Oaks Mall. That's where all my kids went.

Right next to it is Christ Presbyterian Preschool, also a good one. And then I've also known many kids who went to Stepping Stones at the intersection of Fairfax County Parkway and 50, right across from Fair Oaks Hospital.

You may have difficulty finding a spot for September at this point, because they do registration in February and are all closed now for the summer. You can always leave a message though and someone should call you back.

PMJ
06-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Are you looking for a full-time preschool or part-time? Winwood has a good reputation. It is full time, preschool within a daycare.

If you're looking for part-time, I would recommend Pender Hill Preschool in the Pender United Methodist Church, right on Rt. 50 by Fair Oaks Mall. That's where all my kids went.

Right next to it is Christ Presbyterian Preschool, also a good one. And then I've also known many kids who went to Stepping Stones at the intersection of Fairfax County Parkway and 50, right across from Fair Oaks Hospital.

You may have difficulty finding a spot for September at this point, because they do registration in February and are all closed now for the summer. You can always leave a message though and someone should call you back.

You read my mind... I've looked at all of these. haha :) Looking for part time.

Need to look at Winwood and find out prices.

Between Pender and Christ Presbyterian -- would you recommend one over the other? Both of them seem to have openings in the Fall for my child, so that's a good thing.

Keep trying to get in touch w/Stepping Stone, but the website keeps flaking out...

thanks everyone!

g-mama
06-16-2012, 07:51 PM
There are pros and cons to both. Pender is a co-op, so you have to volunteer in the classroom 8x a year, roughly one time a month. I liked that, though, b/c it was fun for me to be able to see my kids in that environment. It also allowed me to get involved which, in turn, helped tremendously in making friendships with other moms. That was a huge plus. My kids are all done preschool but I still have friends I made there. It was even more helpful when we were going there b/c being a SAHM can be very isolating. Some people really don't like the co-op thing, though. I also liked that the hours were 9:30-1 and that is a nice big chunk of time compared to other preschools.

I toured Christ Presbyterian and what I didn't like about it was that the classrooms felt small and dark - very little natural light. But there's nothing else negative I have to say, and like I said, I knew quite a few people happy with the school. It is a much shorter day.

HTH!