PDA

View Full Version : Switching to AT&T from Sprint?

mom2binsd
06-16-2012, 01:12 AM
I currently have a smartphone (LG Optimus, pretty basic) on Sprint, but I really want to get the Samsung Galaxy S II, which if I stay with Sprint will cost me 149.00 and my plan will be 80.00 month, their unlimited data plan, no calling to Canada though, which would be nice for me.

I'm looking at At&t...I can get the same Samsung Galaxy S II phone for 9.99, they have a Nation plus Canada plan for 59.99 and the lowest level of data for 20.00 a month...I used their data calculator and it suggested this low level of date..I don't stream movies/music, just email/facebook and on the web for fun, but not tons.

If you have at&t, are you happy with their service?

I've been with Sprint for 10 years, but the phone I'm using is under XH's name so I can switch without any penalties as we're finally dividing our cellphone plan.

WatchingThemGrow
06-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Sprint may be able to give you a "loyalty discount" or a big credit to offset the purchase of a new phone. They've always given me sizeable discounts/credits. But if you just want to get off the XH's plan, then that makes more sense.

crl
06-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, I am currently really pissed at AT&T. They lost a tower in a massive road construction project here a couple of months ago. This was a project that had been planned for years. AT&T failed to plan to replace that tower and I haven't had service anywhere on my street since they lost that tower. They are still getting permits for a new tower and can't say when they will have service in our area again. (Verizon, on the other hand, planned ahead and the Verizon users on the street never lost service.) And AT&T's big compensation to me is a $25 refund. A neighbor live chatted with them and didn't even get that.

I don't have much choice about my carrier because my phone is on Dh's work plan (we pay for mine, but it is substantially cheaper) and because we are so grandfathered in that switching would be expensive. But at this point it is ridiculous because I basically don't have cell phone service.

So, based on my experience I'd say AT&T is run by a bunch of idiots and I would not switch to them.

Catherine

BillK
06-16-2012, 09:45 AM
I agree with Catherine.

While my actual reception in the Pittsburgh area was alright (not great) the customer service/billing issues with AT&T was a total nightmare.

I don't think I had one correct bill that I didn't have to call about during the one year I was with them before switching back to the evil empire (VZW) and paying $575 in etfs to AT&T.

mom2binsd
06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the insight, I'm in the midwest and don't know much about their coverage etc. Sprint won't really give me a discount, it's just the new customer one of 149.00 for the Galaxy if I sign up for my own plan (they stopped doing the loyalty upgrades about a year ago)...I hate having to pay 150 for a new phone that I don't need, just want, as money is tight, but I do need the phone for work (but work won't pay for it).

Hmmm, more to think about.

Jacksmommy2b
06-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I also had billing issues with AT&T.

They were billing me for something that should have been included in my plan. When I called, we realized that they had been doing so since the beginning of my contract. They refunded me the over charges for ONE MONTH! claiming that they were not allowed to refund anything more than 30 days old. I jumped through every hoop, filling out paperwork and 'creating tickets' and they still refused to refund any of the over charges. All in all I was out more than $400 for their mistake.

I'm still mad!

I have had a few issues with sprint, but they have always been great with customer service. We had reception issues due to a tower issue that lasted two months. Service wasn't great during that period so they gave me a free month credit on my bill.

I have the added insurance (knowing how tough I am on phones) and it is worth the cost. Just last week my EVO was acting squirrelly, I went to the sprint corporate store where they ran tests, agreed it was acting up and offered me a free upgrade to the Galaxy SII since the EVO isn't being made anymore and refurbs are on backorder. I didn't even have to renew a contract.

We get an employer discount that makes the unlimited plan by far the cheapest of the providers.

I know sprint does offer pre-owned phones on their website. Maybe you could find one there?

mom2binsd
06-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Sounds like I should stay away from At&T...found out that one of the companies I work for I get a 20% discount at Sprint, so that will help. I have found their CS very helpful over the years and anytime I had a problem with a phone they were awesome.

queenmama
06-16-2012, 03:10 PM
We've been with AT&T for years and havent had issues with coverage (even in Podunk) or customer service, but I do believe Sprint is the only carrier with unlimited data.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2