PDA

View Full Version : Training underwear for Toddler

hehateme
06-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi:

My DS1 is 2 years 11 months old. He has been daytime time potty trained for a little while. He wears cotton underwear during daytime and has no accidents.

At night we have been giving him Pampers or Huggies overnite diapers.
We already have a sheet protector for his mattress.
We have a 6 month old who is having sleeping issue so we are very sleep deprived.

DS1 has had dry diapers several times a week even at night. When I ask him he proudly tells us No Pee or Poo Poo in his diaper. What should we do next?

His current cotton underwear are very thin.
Should we buy cotton training underwear?
Should we buy waterproof training underwear?
Should we also buy plastic underwear that he can wear on top of his cotton training pants to keep him dry.

If we were not so sleep deprived I would have just put on the cotton underwear that us uses during the day and hoped for the best. Right now we cannot imagine another kid waking up at night.:boogie:

Let us know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Can you transition him to overnight Pull-Ups instead of diapers?

Or spend a wee bit more on unders and get some Hanna Andersson trainers; they are wonderful and thick with a lot of cute designs that would appeal to a little boy - my DD has "boy" designs with snakes, alligators & monsters on them. (I'd purchased some for my nephew and DD nearly stole those, so I got her some of her own.)

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC|2|5|503|508|8||&simg=37738_50N

If you go the Hanna route, I'd also add a pull-on, either nylon or wool. (Personally, I'd go with wool because it's actually really low maintenance.)

hehateme
06-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Do you have recommendation for pullon (nylon or wool) as well?
I will by Hanna training pants soon and I want to order pullons as well.

Thanks

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Do you have recommendation for pullon (nylon or wool) as well?
I will by Hanna training pants soon and I want to order pullons as well.

Thanks

Green Mountain Diapers sells the Little Beetles wool cover:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/trainingpants.htm

Customer service is awesome, shipping is speedy and I've never had them get an order wrong. I look on their site first whenever I want something cloth-diaper related (my DD is still in diapers, though she was having a good run with PT-ing a few weeks ago) because they've never steered me wrong.

The descriptions of fit and sizing are very good; the people who own the business take these things VERY seriously.

They also offer nylon covers, but, in my experience, wool works really nicely once it's been prepped. (We cloth diaper overnight and use wool covers.)

hehateme
06-18-2012, 01:47 PM
My DS1 is 33 lbs so I wanted to order HA Training Pants in size Small.
However this size is sold out. I have done searches with Bing, Google but nobody seems to have these training pants.
Ebay does have a few sellers but I am having hard time buying toddler underwear from Ebay.

I am not sure how long Hanna Anderson training pants will be out. Perhaps I will call them. If they are going to be out for a prolonged period is there a 2nd best option.

Thanks

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 02:29 PM
My DS1 is 33 lbs so I wanted to order HA Training Pants in size Small.
However this size is sold out. I have done searches with Bing, Google but nobody seems to have these training pants.
Ebay does have a few sellers but I am having hard time buying toddler underwear from Ebay.

I am not sure how long Hanna Anderson training pants will be out. Perhaps I will call them. If they are going to be out for a prolonged period is there a 2nd best option.

People also recommend the Gerber trainers which can be had at WalMart or Target.

Also, try calling a Hanna store or outlet if you need to order them today. If you can wait, check the stock in a day or so; they come in and out. They always have something. It's rough right now because they're on sale.

citymama
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
I think the Hanna outlets have trainers on sale right now so call them. If he's a big almost 3 yr old, he'll need sz small.

But honestly, in his situation, I would consider just sticking with the Pullups/dipes as insurance and if you find he goes more than a week without a wet diaper in the morning, you could try going with undies at night. I absolutely wanted to keep DD1 in diapers overnight when she was turning 3 and one day she just refused. After we stopped using diapers we were amazed to find she didn't have a single accident. Ever. Sometimes they know when they're ready before we do.