PDA

View Full Version : Girls wearing boy clothes?

ExcitedMamma
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I need to start going through DS clothes and pulling out the onesies and pjs to use with the new baby and I'm wondering if thats about all i should wash. How do boy clothes differ from girl clothes, aside from the obvious colors and designs is their a fit difference? Is there any point in pulling out DS jeans or will they never fit DD? I need to figure out how much I have to re-use before I buy anything for the new baby. Thank you!

Aishe
06-18-2012, 02:02 PM
For newborn clothes I don't think there's much difference at all. DS wore a whole lot of pink when he was an infant. (He didn't seem to mind!:) I think boy jeans are a bit bulkier, but really not so much that a baby girl couldn't wear them. And once you get into toddler sizes boy shirts are boxier than girl shirts. But for infants I think the cuts are all pretty much the same.

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I gladly accepted hand-me-downs from my sister before DD arrived. We did not find out her sex before she was born so I could head off relatives sending gender-specific (and NMS) clothing ... and so I could increase the number of hand-me-downs I had for future DC.

I didn't care that it was "boy" stuff. I also bought her a bunch of "boy" stuff from the sporting teams DH and I follow because I hate pink. (No, actually, I positively DESPISE pink.)

It fit fine ... actually, in our case, it probably fit a little better because DD is chunky in the arm & leg and I found that girls' stuff from mainstream brands like Carter's and OshKosh was actually cut a little narrower.

After I started buying clothes, I just bought what I liked no matter what section of the store it was in. Like the red-and-white striped "engineer" overalls from OshKosh that I love so much ... or the R2D2 sneakers at Stride Rite that DD refuses to remove from her chubby li'l feet ...

Anyway, if you're concerned about folks out-and-about mistaking your DD for a DS, don't be. They'll be dumb no matter what she's wearing. But, if it makes you feel better, pair something "boyish" with something with a feminine detail, like the ruffled, daisy-print pants I bought to go with DD's first Yankees onesie ... or the skirted leggings I bought to go with her Jets stuff.

123LuckyMom
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyway, if you're concerned about folks out-and-about mistaking your DD for a DS, don't be. They'll be dumb no matter what she's wearing.

This is soooo true!!! You can have your DD covered in pink ruffles from head to toe with a big bow stuck to her head, and people will still say how handsome HE looks! Just dress your newborn in whatever you like. She won't mind, and you'll like looking at her!

ExcitedMamma
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
No not worried at all about people saying anything about the gender. I certainly know how ridiculous people can be when your child is obviously dressed in a very boy way and people still say She's pretty. I'm very much in the anti-pink camp myself so that won't be an issue and with a girl in boy clothing I won't have any issues with DH saying anything that might be said if it was the other way around and a boy in girl clothing. Just honestly wonder about the fit. I figure before things get too crazy I would go through the clothes from DS to prepare for DD but not sure if it's a waste of time to pull out the pants and tops for DD. I figure the onesies and Jammies must be cut pretty similarly for infants but for the older sizes not sure if there becomes a difference in cut gender wise. DS was a 9 lb + baby and grew out of clothes pretty quickly until he was about 18 mos old so if DD is the same I wanted to get the clothes organized. I know I'll want to buy a few girly items but not sure how much I'll need since I have DS clothes.

crl
06-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Dd is two now and wears some of ds' hand me downs. The cuts are different, but IMO its a style thing more than a fit thing. A lot more of his pants survived than shirts so dd is often wearing "boy" pants (cargo pockets or other similar details) with a more girly shirt. it looks fine to me and she doesn't care.

Catherine

Nooknookmom
06-27-2012, 03:11 AM
I used to love Tea's boy tee shirts for DD when she was between 1 and 3, they were so soft, well made and looked cute on her. I also have bought SKR sandals and loafers in "boy" styles - the owner of the baby shop I used to go to once said I was the only Mom who would put her DD in anything but girly girl stuff. DD is a unique mix of everything she is such an individual so it all works for her.

She also goes though phases now at 5 "thats to boyish" or "I want some boy clothes & I hate pink" the latter was before her bff moved to New York :(

I have a sweet rashguard I bought for her last yr on the "boy" rack b/c it was purple and had a shark on it and was only $8 (on sale from $50!)

Boy/girl mix and match, I say it is all good.

ETA: I still remember being about 4 and wanting "scooby doo" underwear at the local kid shop - but they were only in boys and my Mom flat out refused....I think I'm still mad at her ;)

hoodlims
06-27-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't think it matters much in onesies, pjs, etc, especially at the infant stage. I have a girl first, and now a boy. When I buy PJs for my DD now, I get boy or gender neutral ones so my son can wear it in the future. They seem to fit the same.

lizzywednesday
06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Just because I thought of this last night, the only thing that's different on "boy" snap sleepers vs. "girl" snap sleepers is the direction the openings face.

Seriously.

It's like the way the buttons face for women's blouses vs. men's shirts (the placket with the buttonholes on a man's shirt is on the left, whereas the placket with the buttonholes on a woman's blouse is on the right. Check your closet & tell me I'm wrong.)

ExcitedMamma
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Seriously the snaps are different?! How strange! LOL I'm going to have to check that out...after I run to the closet to check out DH's shirts!

sfmom
06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Anyway, if you're concerned about folks out-and-about mistaking your DD for a DS, don't be. They'll be dumb no matter what she's wearing.

:yeahthat:

KpbS
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Dd is two now and wears some of ds' hand me downs. The cuts are different, but IMO its a style thing more than a fit thing. A lot more of his pants survived than shirts so dd is often wearing "boy" pants (cargo pockets or other similar details) with a more girly shirt. it looks fine to me and she doesn't care.

Catherine

I do this too with DD. The boy jeans are a better fit for her as the cuts are more generous in the thighs :). I am not a huge fan of pink but it is everywhere for girls and I've found that pink shoes can be very practical for tying clothing together.

BabbyO
06-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, I think from what I've seen is it mostly cut, esp in pants as they get older. Boys are bigger and boxier. The other thing I've seen is that especially winter play-type pants are often thicker for girls than for boys. I'm thinking specifically of the Kohl's Jumping Beans brand. They have pants that are elastic waited and wide cuff, but are similar to sweat pants in material and thickness. I LOVE these for DS1 in the winter, but I found that the boy's version wasn't as thick. So I bought DS girls pants and cut the pink string/bow off. Frankly, they fit him better because he tends to run small in pants anyway.

Jacksmommy2b
06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
I *just* weeded through all of my boy's clothes for a friend due next month with a son.

I was genuinely surprised with how much I thought could go both ways. I ended up keeping a ton of onesies, sleepers, blankets, etc. There were also a few sleepers I kept no matter how 'boyish' they looked. I distinctly remember both of my newborns snuggled up in them and new baby will be too, I'll just toss a blue bow on her head to match if we are going anywhere. :)

I also kept all of the jeans (along with all the cotton pants in any color but blue) and all of the PJs. I really dislike all the embroidery all over girls jeans and I thought the cut probably won't matter a whole lot with a diaper on anyway. As for the PJs, I'm just too darn cheap to give away perfectly good PJs just because of the styles. (we don't really do character clothing anyway) Monkeys can go both ways as far as I'm concerned.

lizzywednesday
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
...Monkeys can go both ways as far as I'm concerned.

:yeahthat:

DD wore/wears a LOT of monkeys and other "zoo" animals - giraffes, rhinos, elephants, etc. - because they are so darn cute!