PDA

View Full Version : Fuuuuuuuudge

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
OK, I know.

I have to have a better childcare solution.

But right now, I have a ton of sh!t to get done and my DD is howling in her high chair because I cannot have her curling up in my freakin' lap while I'm trying to get my work done.

She isn't feeling well, I get that, but I am not able to stop and comfort her. I'm literally the only person on my team who can get this project done.

And DH can't take any time off work because he's hoarding it for December.

sarahsthreads
06-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm so sorry. It's so hard to get anything done with a kid around at the best of times, and it's so much harder to get work done on a deadline with a sick kid in the house. :(

I'd relax whatever TV rules you have and let her curl up on the couch with a blankie and some juice or other treat...

Sarah

ahisma
06-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Ugh. I'm sorry.

I agree about the TV. I'm doing bar prep this summer. It shall forever be known as "The summer that the boys watched every single children's program on Netflix."

Ideal, no. It is what it is. We were previously a "TV in severe moderation family." No more! If we had the money, they'd be in childcare. If DH's school wasn't consolidating, their teacher father would be home with them (original plan). Until then...hello Netflix!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
i agree about the TV...put PBSKids on and dont' feel bad about it. when my DS is sick all he wants to do is watch TV and i don't see anything wrong with that! and :hug: that sounds so frustrating..hope you get something figured out soon. i can't even imagine trying to work with any of my kids right there, especially if they were sick!

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
When Mommy is working, DD watches all the TV her 2 year old heart desires. Which means it's Disney Junior all day, except for the 2-4p hours on Mondays when they re-run the "B"-list movie they showed on Sunday night ... and she's not into 'The Lion King II' right now.

She didn't budge from my lap except by forcible eviction all day. She napped in her Anywhere Chair in front of the TV.

She felt feverish but her temp didn't break 99-ish.

What was worrisome was the rash on her sides, belly and behind her ears.

Called the pediatrician ... DD has HFM.

And I have to keep her home from daycare tomorrow.

And DH isn't going to take a day to stay with her, so I either try to work with a sick toddler on my lap or I take another PTO day. (DH is low-man on the totem pole, but this really screws me over because now we have about the same number of PTO days left for the year and I really hate having to "save" some for the AZ trip he's determined to take again this year.)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE.

I really freakin' hate this part of being a working mama.

twowhat?
06-18-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry, that really stinks. Having a sick kid when you are a working parent is the PITS. Incredibly frustrating when our workplaces just don't really offer enough PTO for one parent to take enough sick time for their kids. And even if they did, they expect you to get the work done anyway, It's a lose-lose situation.

I hope you're able to find a more consistent childcare situation very soon, because children + work are like oil and water...my company requires that I have childcare for the hours I'm working because they know it's d*amn near impossible to work when you are also caring for young kids!

lizzywednesday
06-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry, that really stinks. Having a sick kid when you are a working parent is the PITS. Incredibly frustrating when our workplaces just don't really offer enough PTO for one parent to take enough sick time for their kids. And even if they did, they expect you to get the work done anyway, It's a lose-lose situation.

Exactly. It truly sucks. Thank you for the empathy!

I hope you're able to find a more consistent childcare situation very soon, because children + work are like oil and water...my company requires that I have childcare for the hours I'm working because they know it's d*amn near impossible to work when you are also caring for young kids!

DH and I are looking into a couple of things to cover those other 2 days for the summer ... and, hopefully, by the fall we'll be able to put DD into her daycare program for 5 days rather than only 3.

The cost is ridiculous, but she loves it there. (Oh, and they feed her, so I don't have to make myself nuts over packing nut-free breakfasts and lunches.)

trales
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
13 year olds are cheap and home from school right now and cannot get any other jobs b/c they are so young. I have one that I pay $5 an hour. I don't mind how young she is b/c I am right there if anything comes up. DD loves her, I love her, she plays barbi and my little pony and keeps DD quiet and happy.

lizzywednesday
06-19-2012, 09:54 AM
13 year olds are cheap and home from school right now and cannot get any other jobs b/c they are so young. I have one that I pay $5 an hour. I don't mind how young she is b/c I am right there if anything comes up. DD loves her, I love her, she plays barbi and my little pony and keeps DD quiet and happy.

I was considering a mother's helper, but I don't know anyone around here. Pathetic, isn't it?

queenmama
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Yet another reason I applaud WAH/WOH moms. I can't imagine having TWO full-time jobs. I can't get my $#!@ done as it is.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

arivecchi
06-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Are you familiar with care.com? I've never used this feature, but they have care-on-call sitters listed there. May be worth a look.

lizzywednesday
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Are you familiar with care.com? I've never used this feature, but they have care-on-call sitters listed there. May be worth a look.

I poked around there for a bit while we were researching daycares.

Philly Mom
06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I am on sittercity.com and found some college kids who can be available at the last minute depending on day and time if DD cannot go to daycare. I figure, they can watch DD while I am home and working, but I am still there since she is sick and may need me.

lizzywednesday
06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I am on sittercity.com and found some college kids who can be available at the last minute depending on day and time if DD cannot go to daycare. I figure, they can watch DD while I am home and working, but I am still there since she is sick and may need me.

Good idea - we are near a couple of college towns!

ncat
06-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Not sure if you and your DH have flexible hours - but when DD or DS is sick, generally DH goes in early and works say 6 AM - 12 PM, and I work 12:30 - 6:30 or so. DH and I try to arrange so we each can make our most important meetings in the office. We do what we can at home while there is nap/quiet/TV time, and get close to working an 8 hour day - ~2h at home and 6 in the office. It is exhausting, but fair to each of us (and our employers)!

It is really unfair when all of the sick-duty falls on one parent!

lizzywednesday
06-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Not sure if you and your DH have flexible hours - but when DD or DS is sick, generally DH goes in early and works say 6 AM - 12 PM, and I work 12:30 - 6:30 or so. DH and I try to arrange so we each can make our most important meetings in the office. We do what we can at home while there is nap/quiet/TV time, and get close to working an 8 hour day - ~2h at home and 6 in the office. It is exhausting, but fair to each of us (and our employers)!

It is really unfair when all of the sick-duty falls on one parent!

If I didn't have to travel 2 hours round-trip (without traffic) to get to the office, a split day like that would work. The travel time eats into my productivity, so I need to either be all day at home or all day in the office.

I have flexible hours and more PTO, so I end up spending PTO taking care of DD if she's sick or injured. DH was out of work for a year, so he's new to his job (been there 4 months) and he doesn't have as many privileges as I do.

I hope he's able to get to the point of having a more flexible schedule, but for now, it's all me.