PDA

View Full Version : %$#*^ Fireworks (non) law

ahisma
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
To all of the Michigan legislators who voted to allow fireworks year round (ANY day) - you suck.

I'm supposed to be studying right now. DH is out. The kids are in bed. NOT sleeping?

Why? FIREWORKS.

Every. Friggin. Night.

Fireworks.

Le'ts do a benefit analysis here people. Peaceful evenings vs. the right to enjoy fireworks whenever the heck you want - therefore disturbing a 2 block radius of people. And children. And pets.

misshollygolightly
06-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I hear you! We live within city limits (not in MI, but in the midwest) and I was *shocked* to find out that fireworks are legal in our neighborhood! How did I find out? Because several of our neighbors shoot them off for EVERY FRIGGIN OCCASION! And it can last all night. The kids do ok with their white noise machines, but my poor dog FREAKS OUT (which usually results in me cleaning up several puddles the next day). UGH.

Octobermommy
06-18-2012, 11:02 PM
How the heck did they think that was a good idea? So sorry! That sounds miserable

katydid1971
06-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Its not the law here but you have my total sympathy. We can hardly get through the couple weeks its legal here.

ahisma
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the empathy!

It's almost midnight and they're STILL going. It's a Monday night. Um...why shoot off fireworks on a Monday?

They are now legal 365 days of the year now. I think I'm going to record the kids' late night complaints and send them to our reps. Doubt it will change a dang thing, but personal satisfaction would be nice right about now.

elliput
06-19-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm glad we moved from Michigan before that change happened. :eek: The first thing that popped into my mind was who in the legislature is benefiting from the sales of year-round fireworks. Michigan is definitely a "money-talks" state.

ahisma
06-19-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm glad we moved from Michigan before that change happened. :eek: The first thing that popped into my mind was who in the legislature is benefiting from the sales of year-round fireworks. Michigan is definitely a "money-talks" state.

Too true. They just voted to fund cyber schools - at the same rate as traditional schools. Nevermind that there is zero overhead and a massive dropout / failure rate. Sigh.

Definitely a "money talks" state - now more than ever.

It's creeping up on 1 am and they are STILL going. Every. Single. Night. A friend said that in her neighborhood they go during the day too. Another friend has to sedate her poor dog nightly.

I don't know who exactly is benefiting, but I know a whole bunch of people who are NOT benefiting:(

MontrealMum
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I am so sorry :hug: I live in a noisy place and I hate it. I'd go nuts if fireworks were allowed here year long.

I guess I now know, however, why there were fireworks being set off when I was visiting my mom recently. At the time I was wondering WTH holiday was celebrated with fireworks in late April and early May.

I miss my friends and family, but things are not going well in MI :(

KrisM
06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
I had no idea it changed the times like that. I knew it opened up the types of fireworks. Does your city not have a noise ordinance? Ours does and that would certainly qualify and disrupting!

TwinFoxes
06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Its not the law here but you have my total sympathy. We can hardly get through the couple weeks its legal here.
:yeahthat: I grew up where fireworks were illegal year round because of wildfire dangers. Our neighborhood now sets them off around the appropriate holidays. But when I lived in Los Angeles, yikes! It seemed they were constantly going off for all major American holidays, plus many Mexican and and other Central American holidays. The 4th of July and New Year's Eve were the worst though.

jal
06-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the empathy!

It's almost midnight and they're STILL going. It's a Monday night. Um...why shoot off fireworks on a Monday?

They are now legal 365 days of the year now. I think I'm going to record the kids' late night complaints and send them to our reps. Doubt it will change a dang thing, but personal satisfaction would be nice right about now.

What about noise ordinances? Sure the fireworks might be legal 365 DAYS a year. But if there is a city noise ordinance limiting loud noises to certain hours of the day, then the fireworks wouldn't be legal 24/7.

StantonHyde
06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
In Utah, last year, they voted to allow cake fireworks (so bigger class, bigger noise etc) and they voted to allow a full 1-2 mos for people to set them of vs. the usual short week around 2 summer holidays. Man, did they get an earful last summer!!!!!! So this year they switched back. Maybe they will get an earful in your state too!

Fireworks are illegal in our neighborhood because we are so close to the foothills. There will still be idiots setting them off. I have half a mind to report the 2-3 families who ALWAYS break the law. Really, it is sooooo dry this year--I would rather not lose my house thanks!