PDA

View Full Version : How much can I get done with MIL here?

niccig
06-19-2012, 02:05 AM
It is day 3 of MIL's 14 day visit. We get along fine, it's just that after 3 days we've done the whole "how's SIL? how are your parents" conversation. Today we went to the museum, this afternoon since 5pm I have done:

oiled one deck chair
cleaned out the fountain
scrubbed the top patio step in between coats on the chair (have 2 more levels to go)
put up stakes and temporary plastic mesh fencing to keep the dog out of the new grassed area
refolded the towels in the linen closet.

I fully admit I'm kind of a lazy person. After doing the fencing for the dog, I probably would have come inside and done nothing until dinner. Today, I did the above, as if I came inside, what would I say to her? DH was taking care of dinner, so I didn't have to prep.

I wonder how much of my to-do list will get done while she's here? Maybe I need her to visit for 2 weeks every year to get me off my tushie and get some things done.

Sweetum
06-19-2012, 03:21 AM
LOL
sometimes we feel like we need to have visitors every weekend in order to keep our home clean...good job getting all that done! I was surprised to see your comment about yourself that you are lazy - wonder what I should call myself!

TwinFoxes
06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
OMG, that is so funny. My method is asking her for advice on my garden, and also having her help me work in it. I figure if I distract her with gardening advice I don't get child rearing advice. :)

niccig
06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
OMG, that is so funny. My method is asking her for advice on my garden, and also having her help me work in it. I figure if I distract her with gardening advice I don't get child rearing advice. :)

Oh, she gives out advice, told me my roses look neglected. I was about to hand over the pruners and say "Thanks so much, they do need to be deheaded," but a) she thinks she knows more about gardening than she actually does, and b) it'll take me at least 2 hours to do (have a lot of roses). So, instead I said "yes, they do need to be deheaded, I think I'll do that tomorrow morning and you and DS can hang out together."

niccig
06-19-2012, 06:08 PM
LOL
I was surprised to see your comment about yourself that you are lazy - wonder what I should call myself!

I am in that I put off doing things then when I do them, I'm always surprised at how little time it took to get done. If left alone, I would only have done the fence yesterday (just stakes with plastic mesh stapled to it), and then come instead and hung out here until dinner.

I think I'm going to get a lot of things done in the yard in the next week and a half.

hellokitty
06-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Lol, well I guess that this is a good side effect of your mil being there. I am the same way when mine is here (but she usually only stays a few hrs at most), I don't sit down, I'm just up and moving doing stuff the entire time, since I really have nothing to talk about with her, I don't want to just sit there and stare at one another or deal with trying to make small talk.