PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get rid of the Mommy belly

citymama
06-21-2012, 04:22 AM
I haven't weaned yet but DD2 is nursing way less - and it's started. The breasts are deflating and the tummy is pooching out even more - it was the same way with DD1. It does not make for a very flattering profile and I really want to work on reducing my mama belly.

I'm pretty physically active - lots of walking, hiking, running around - but I don't do any kind of cardio or weight based workout AT ALL. What should I be doing to work on getting rid of - or reducing - my pooched out tummy? I doubt I will ever have abs of steel but I'd love for it not to be abs of mush! I'd love any suggestions for forms of exercise or specific exercises that worked for you, how often you did them, and how long it took to see results. If any one else wants to join in - seriously work on the belly between now and August - sign up here!

Thanks!

arivecchi
06-21-2012, 06:56 AM
After trying to lose weight for over 2 years with ds2, I signed up at MFP and bought an elliptical which I use every day (I'm on it right now actually :)) for 45-60 minutes. I lost 30 pounds and the belly is gone.

ZeeBaby
06-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Citymama reading your posts are like reading the thoughts in my head. I drive my friends nuts with my laments about stretch marks and my saggy belly. I can't wait to see what is said in this thread. I just beleive that there IS stuff you can do other then plastic surgery. I feel like plenty of women have kids and they are in so much better shape then me! I am turning 40 this year and DD2 will be 3 on October. I am 10lbs below my pre-baby weight, but the saggy belly lives! So no ideas, but wanted to commiserate.

waitingforgrace
06-21-2012, 07:15 AM
There have been a few recent threads about this, you might try a search.

Tupler technique can help. If you have a diastasis recti you can ask your doctor about PT for it.

brittone2
06-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Yep, I'd start with checking yourself for a diastasis. If you have a diastasis and do certain types of movements or ab work (including crunches), some experts feel you can actually make the issue worse.

I have had a diastasis for 8 years and have finally :bag gotten around to trying to address it for real this time, not in a half a$$sed way. I've been using the Tupler splint and exercises and it is definitely, definitely helping. My umbilical hernia is reduced, my diastasis is closing on the top and bottom and is more shallow where it is still wider in the middle.

eta: Tupler is a lot of transverse abdominal work, starting from the proper position. Her splint helps you bring the two sides of your abs (for those with a diastasis) to the correct position before exercising. You wear the splint at all times other than when showering/bathing. Other belly binders i've used appply more "compression" but they don't work well for approximating (bringing together) the two sides of the rectus abdominus muscle. Tupler has instructions for checking yourself for a diastasis on her website.

brgnmom
07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
I haven't weaned yet but DD2 is nursing way less - and it's started. The breasts are deflating and the tummy is pooching out even more - it was the same way with DD1. It does not make for a very flattering profile and I really want to work on reducing my mama belly.

I'm pretty physically active - lots of walking, hiking, running around - but I don't do any kind of cardio or weight based workout AT ALL. What should I be doing to work on getting rid of - or reducing - my pooched out tummy? I doubt I will ever have abs of steel but I'd love for it not to be abs of mush! I'd love any suggestions for forms of exercise or specific exercises that worked for you, how often you did them, and how long it took to see results. If any one else wants to join in - seriously work on the belly between now and August - sign up here!

Thanks!

I need to work on my abs too - even though I'm back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, my abs are not defined and I have a pooched out tummy. I started working out regularly, and notice that zumba has been helping. But I think I need to do some more crunches, pinpointing and toning the abs. Other than this, I don't have any concrete ideas for how to get rid of the pooch, but just thought I'd respond to this thread and say that I'm in a similar boat.

citymama
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks! Maybe we could make a pact to work on abs and keep tabs on each other, brgnmom?

I'm pretty sure I don't have diastasis - I had a nearly flat belly when nursing (I'm still nursing but much less than before). The pooch seems to be just that - a pooch!

okinawama
07-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I too am struggling to get rid of my mama pooch. I recently started training for a half marathon, and not even running regularly was really getting rid of it. I've just recently started becoming pretty strict with my diet, and am finally starting to see some (slow, but sure) results (specifically trying to stick to a pretty low carb diet).

Katigre
07-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Pilates is excellent for stomach toning - it works the transverse abdominals in all sorts of ways. Watching what you eat is also important (especially higher glycemic foods - added sugars, flour (even 'whole wheat flour' is high glycemic)) because they tend to make for belly weight vs. weight elsewhere in the body.

nupe
07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I agree with this, I did much better with spin (spurts) than steady jogging

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-28/sprinting-not-jogging-sheds-more-harmful-belly-fat-study-says.html

infomama
07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
There are some fantastic core poses in yoga. Try plank and boat (then move from boat to low boat and back). Also put a block between your feet while lying on your back and crunch up to grab it with your hands. Then continue by passing it back and forth from your hands to your feet. You'll feel the burn in no time. Bicycle while in a low crunch is great, too.

brgnmom
07-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks! Maybe we could make a pact to work on abs and keep tabs on each other, brgnmom?

I'm pretty sure I don't have diastasis - I had a nearly flat belly when nursing (I'm still nursing but much less than before). The pooch seems to be just that - a pooch!

yes, sounds great! :thumbsup: I've been offline over the past couple of days, but trying to still keep up w/ working out when I can. I tried a kickboxing circuit class over the weekend and it kicked my butt. I did learn some better techniques in ab work.

brittone2
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Did you do the check? You can have a diastasis without a bulge when standing. It would be good to check before starting a program, particularly a lot of ab work :hug: Hopefully you don't have one, but just in case, I would follow the self check tips on the Tupler site.