PDA

View Full Version : Is DS not ready, or am I doing it wrong?

Sidney
06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I need help with potty training! DS is 2 (29 months to be exact). We have two Baby Bjorn potties...one in the downstairs bathroom and one in an upstairs bathroom. We also bought one of those toilet seats for a regular toilet that has a toddler seat that flips down.

DS refuses to sit on the potty, especially without a diaper. I ask him several times every day (and I've tried wording it like, "let's go sit on the potty now!" Doesn't work. I've brought him to the potty and he freaks and won't sit on either type of seat. I have tried to bribe him with "treats" and talked about how big girls and boys use the potty. He goes into the bathroom with us and likes to flush the toilet for us. I have a few toddler books on potties and other books that he has access to for the bathroom only.

Is he not ready, or am I approaching this wrong? Please help!

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I doubt he is ready. He's pretty young and he doesn't seem interested. Sorry!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
My DS is the same age. He was okay 6 mos ago using the potty (even pooped in it a few times),was fascinated with the potty books and loved getting stickers for using the potty. but now he decided he just wants diapers and literally cries whenever I try to put underwear on him (and this kid RARELY cries). He is head over heels in love with Thomas the train and despite knowing he would get a new train for going poo=poo on the potty, he refuses. :shrug:

So, IMO, he's just not ready and i'm going to just wait a bit instead of making a power struggle out of it. My friend's son just turned 3, she PTed him over a 3day weekend and that was that...he's totally daytime PT'ed now. So, I'd rather just do diapers for the meantime and wait a little longer and when he's ready just spend 3 days PTing him than to draw it out for weeks/months.

hellokitty
06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
He's not ready, don't push him. What we do before we really start PTing is I keep the potty chair in the bathroom and before baths, I offer to let them sit on it. Sometimes they will pee and I will make a big deal out of it, and dole out a couple m&m's. After a while, they catch on, esp when they really ARE more interested in PTing. At that time you can start to PT full time when he really shows more interest in it and you don't need to force him to sit on the chair.

wellyes
06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
He's not ready. If the kid doesn't want to, it will not happen, until they are old enough to rationally and consistently respond to incentives and reward systems. 3, not 2.

So, I'd rather just do diapers for the meantime and wait a little longer and when he's ready just spend 3 days PTing him than to draw it out for weeks/months.

Exactly. My experience with real-life friends is the same. They all get there, but there is no prize for being first, and it can backfire if you want it more than the child does.