PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep the bed wetting pads on your DC's bed even if they R night potty trained?

HIU8
06-23-2012, 09:10 PM
DS is 7.5 yrs old. He finally night trained at age 6. He really doesn't have accidents, however, on the off chance he does I have kept one of those bed wetting pads under his sheet (and on top of the mattress pad) in case he does wet the bed, so it doesn't soak through the mattress. I'm wondering how long I need to keep that on his bed? I can't remember how old I was when my parents finally took it off for me.

JBaxter
06-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Nathan is 8.5 and I still keep a vinyl cover on his mattress. Why take it off?

o_mom
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I keep a waterproof mattress pad on all the beds. I figure better safe than sorry and have no reason not to keep them on. We have had a couple accidents since they night trained as well as a couple of vomiting episodes where I was glad we had them on.

hillview
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I keep a waterproof mattress pad on all the beds. I figure better safe than sorry and have no reason not to keep them on. We have had a couple accidents since they night trained as well as a couple of vomiting episodes where I was glad we had them on.

:yeahthat:

Puking is a major factor

sarahsthreads
06-23-2012, 09:29 PM

:yeahthat:

I still don't have night trained kids, but we've had waterproof mattress pads on our bed since before DD1 was born (I was terrified my water would break at night!) and have gotten them for each child as they graduated from the crib. They're not hot to sleep on or anything, and add some peace of mind!

Sarah :)

Snow mom
06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
All our beds also have waterproof pads. I see no disadvantage to keeping them on, only potential advantages.

twowhat?
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Keep it on. You never know. In fact, I wish my bed had a waterproof mattress cover. As it is, I sleep with a towel underneath me for a few days every 25-32 days :bag.

wellyes
06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, I don't use them at all for my 4 year old. I am so tired of spending money on stuff like that, stuff I probably wouldn't even think about if I didn't see it at the aisle at Target.

elephantmeg
06-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I will probably not buy one for DD's new double bed (at this rate she'll be close to 5 til we get her room done).

lalasmama
06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
If you have guests, KEEP IT ON!

DD hasn't wet the bed since she was training at 2yo, and she's 8.5yo now. Her cousin came for a week's visit, and decided she didn't want to get out of bed to pee (which is a whole different story, since she was wide awake in a dry bed when she announced this). Wanna guess how mad I was that I didn't have a cover on it?? Yeah, it's been a week, and I'm still p*ssed! (Pun not intended.)

lmwbasye
06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
We have them on because things happen. And you can't undo a mattress easily that has pee/puke/drinks/etc spilled on it.

crl
06-23-2012, 11:15 PM
We have dust mite allergies. I have waterproof encasings on the beds.

Catherine

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-23-2012, 11:57 PM
We have waterproof mattress pads on all the beds. I don't want to risk having to replace a whole mattress because of an accident.

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kijip
06-24-2012, 06:06 AM
T has not had one beyond the slightly water proof pad since he was 4ish, but he was dry at night well before he was potty trained and the vinyl ripped and it wasn't worth getting a new one for a kid who was never wetting the bed.

F is 3.5 and I expect he will have one forever because dude is a heavy sleeper and wakes up wet sometimes, having soaked his PJs. Until we got one for a few bucks, we went though $10 of Bac Out so I consider it a cost savings.

wellyes
06-24-2012, 08:13 AM
We have waterproof mattress pads on all the beds. I don't want to risk having to replace a whole mattress because of an accident.

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That'd have to be one heck of an accident.
DD hasn't peed on her bed, but my CAT has peed on mine (he was sick). Not my favorite day ever but it's pretty easily cleaned.

Pyrodjm
06-24-2012, 10:01 AM
We have waterproof mattress covers on all beds. I'd rather keep the sweat, puke, possible drink spills and of course the occasional pee accidents from seeping into the mattresses. I don't see any reason to ever take the off.

Kindra178
06-24-2012, 11:20 AM
We use waterproof mattress covers on the boys' beds. It's great knowing the mattress is protected from puke, pee and water spills.

wencit
06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
DS1 sometimes gets terrible bloody noses in the middle of the night, so we have them on. It has saved his mattress on more than one occasion.

o_mom
06-24-2012, 02:00 PM
That'd have to be one heck of an accident.
DD hasn't peed on her bed, but my CAT has peed on mine (he was sick). Not my favorite day ever but it's pretty easily cleaned.

The volume of pee from a cat is much smaller than an 8 yo, even though the cat pee probably smells worse. :p

I personally would rather not have the pee soaked through to the inside of a mattress where I can't get it out. Even with enzyme cleaners, it is still in there. An extra $5 when I was buying a mattress pad anyway seemed worth it to make any cleanup easier and more thorough. :shrug: I'm in the 'don't see a downside' camp, personally.

StantonHyde
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
My DCs still have theirs on--puke, puke, puke. And then there are the water glass spills etc.

niccig
06-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Nathan is 8.5 and I still keep a vinyl cover on his mattress. Why take it off?

:yeahthat: DS is 7.5 and was night trained about 4.5 (he hated feel of pull ups). He hasn't had accident in years,then out of the blue he wet the bed the other month. So glad the mattress cover was on there.