PDA

View Full Version : WDW must do's that need reservations?

cookiemonster80
06-24-2012, 02:50 PM
We are going to WDW the week before Christmas- I know we may be too late already to reserve some things. can you give me the best dining options that require reservations (character meals, parade viewing, etc) that you've really enjoyed?

We'll have an almost 3 year old with us if that makes a difference.
TIA!

calv
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I think character meals are the way to go and they all need reservations. you get to sit down and rest and get to see the character/take some great photos vs waiting 1-2 hours to see them at the parks.

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm#cel

honestly, almost everthing needs reservations. can't hurt to make them. just be sure to cancel at least 24 hrs before if you change your mind. hoop de doo, and fantasmic are another must see/something else you need reservations for.

TwinFoxes
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
You're barely at the 180 mark (if I'm doing the math right) so it may not be too late. There are Christmas events you should look into, if you like that sort of thing. In addition to character meals, shows like the Hoop de Doo Review need reservations (it's a fun western musical with dinner) and Spirit of Aloha require ADRs. You can get special seating for Fantasmic (and skip the line) if you book a dinner package. Bippity Boppity Boutique requires reservations as well (salon to turn your DD into a "princess").

crl
06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Our favorite character meal (we went in November 2010) was breakfast at Chef Mickey's. Ds had food allergies and the chef was very accommodating (the only place ds was able to get the Mickey shaped pancakes) AND fast--we had to wait forever someplaces for the chef to come out and do the food allergy routine with us, but not at Chef Mickey's. Ds and dd loved the classic Disney characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and one other) and they spent a good amount of time with us.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2012, 06:50 AM
We really liked having the character meal at whichever place we were staying. Where are you staying?

klwa
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
What kind of Disney things is your daughter into right now? Princesses or not so much? Mickey? Pooh? Disney Junior?

Depending on what your 3 year old likes best depends on where your "must haves" would be.

DH loves supper at Garden Grill in Epcot, which has Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale in "farmer" clothes. There are several other places you can eat with the Big Cheese.

If you have a princess fan, there are 3 places that cater to princesses. Cinderella's Royal Table (MK, in the castle) is the big daddy of the three, but I like Akershus in Epcot (Norway pavillion) as well. Family who have done 1900 Park Faire at supper (only) say it's wonderful with Cinderella, the prince, and the step family.

And there are great meals without dealing with the characters if you & your husband would like to do some of those. Only Victoria & Alberts has a no child policy, I think.

cookiemonster80
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
We are staying in the bay lake towers at the contemporary.

We are into toy story, pooh, and princesses in that order. :)

Is there a place to watch the parade and eat at the same time?

TwinFoxes
06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Is there a place to watch the parade and eat at the same time?

Which parade in which park? :)

A great planning book is "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld". Some people like the "Unofficial guide...with kids" better. Anyway, I think you will find it to be a big help. I think it's great for everyone from novices to old pros. :)

klwa
06-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Since your DD is into Pooh, I'd do Crystal Palace in MK. :) You MIGHT be able to see some of the parade, or some of the stage show at the castle from there, but it won't be the same as really watching it. Pooh & Tigger are also at the 1900 Park Faire breakfast (Grand Floridian), along with Mary Poppins (in white dress) and Alice & the Mad Hatter. So, a monorail ride away from where you're staying.

BillK
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
If you want a good non-character meal that's not a buffet the Yak & Yeti in Animal Kingdom is very good. Probably the best sit down restaurant in WDW and probably best to have a reservation.

We did Crystal Palace, Polynesian, Chef Mickeys and Hollywod & Vine character meals. I actually liked the Polynesian a lot simply because it wasn't a buffet so we didn't have to drag monkeys through the line.

CP was good but not my thing (wife likes it best - had a lot of different things just not much I dug), I preferred Chef M and Poly because I like breakfast food. Hollywood & Vine was ok too - not spectacular but ok.

Pizza Planet at Hollywood Studios is now Toy Story themed if you don't mind $50 counter service pizza. Not a character meal and no reservations reqd but ok I guess when you consider all counter service restaurants at WDW are horribly expensive for what you get.

We ate one meal at T-Rex in downtown Disney. It was super expensive, decent food - but the restaurant itself is so loud you can't hear yourself think. Total sensory overload.