PDA

View Full Version : Best double: BJCS versus Britax B-Ready??

jjenniebug
06-24-2012, 10:41 PM
HELP! I just sold my Vista on CL thinking I was set on getting the BJCS to use as a double, but now after reading more posts, I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should get the B-Ready. Arrggh!!

A little info... my DD will be 2.5yo when DS is born. She is tall and skinny. We live in Texas, so most of our use is indoors, and I have to haul it in and out of our Yukon alot. I want a full-feature stroller, though, so I'm OK with it being a bit of a mule, if necessary. I loved my Vista but did not like the Rumble Seat option once baby #2 comes.

I've test-driven both strollers, and here's what I have so far on my pros/ cons list. BBB seemed to push the BJCS over the B-Ready, so I guess I was following their advice and thinking I liked the BJCS more, but I'm sure moms who use the strollers have better advice than the salespeople at the stores, which is why I'm now torn:

- I'm concerned that my daughter will hate riding in the lower seat of the B-ready, BUT I don't like the baby being in the lower spot in case I need to feed a bottle while walking (is this a common complaint)?
- I love the configuration of the BJCS but I've read lots of posts stating it's hard to steer because it's so long (would this still be the case with a <30 pound toddler up front?)
- The Britax event is coming up, so I could get the second seat for free... I feel like I could always sell it on CL if I hate it and make most of my money back.

I think those are my main points for now. I'm not looking for other brands unless I should REALLY consider them- I feel overwhelmed right now just choosing between these two. Thank you in advance for your help! I'm going to go chase my tail some more- ha!

wendibird22
06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
I had the 1st gen BJCS and got it when DD1 was 3yo and DD2 6mos. I loved it. DH loved it. I love the variety of configurations. It could be a beast to push (mostly to turn corners) in some configurations but we played with it to figure out what was easiest. Loved the HUGE basket. Had no problem taking it into/out of my Ody van. The kids really loved riding in it. In fact DD1 cried when we sold it but we just weren't using it much any more because the kids were getting older. I was able to sell it on CL for $500 and I live in an area that prefers Graco over quality strollers. The B Ready wasn't on the market yet when we bought the BJCS so I have no basis of comparison. If you click on my username and go to threads I've started I have a thread with pics of my kids in the BJCS.

BabyBearsMom
06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
We have a similar set up to you. DD1 is 2yo and Dd2 is 2mo. We have a BReady and love it. I tried the bjcs but hated the push (too long) and thought the seats were too short for my super tall DD1. The BReady seats are huge. DD1 is 99th percentile for height and has tons of space. She loves the lower seat and calls it her "special tunnel seat". In fact she gets upset if I want her to sit up top. Have you tried your older DC in the lower seat? She may surprise you. I can't attest to giving a baby a bottle while walking as I usually just stop for feedings when necessary. The push is great for a tandem especially on the 2012 with the new air tires (I'm ordering them for my 2011). It has a good canopy. It is heavy but not unmanageable. With both seats it is probably just under 30#. I'm a weakling and I can handle it.

jjenniebug
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Babybearsmom, how is basket access when you have DD in the lower seat? What did you do with your diaper bag?

legaleagle
06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Have you completely ruled out a SBS?

ElspethCordelia
06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
My tall skinny daughter was 2.5 when my son was born too. We love the B-Ready. She always wants to sit in the second seat. The basket isn't super when Tillie's in the seat, but it's doable. Sometimes I use the clips on my diaperbag to hang it from the front of the stroller. (See second pic in this blog post/review (http://littlebabylulu.blogspot.com/2012/01/britax-b-ready-stroller.html) I did.)

BabyBearsMom
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Babybearsmom, how is basket access when you have DD in the lower seat? What did you do with your diaper bag?

There is a zipper in the front so I can access it there. DD1 likes to help and hand me things so I usually say "mommy needs her sun glasses" and Dd1 will get them for me. She loves playing with my purses though

pantrygirl
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
We are a b-ready family here. We love it.
We interchange seats all the time. The seats are huge!
Sometimes my infant in his car seat is on the bottom. Sometimes he's on the top.
My daughter also likes to go to the basket zipper and help me get things. She also likes to use the front zipper as her special basket. She can run and grab her bag or stuffy from the zipper.
I find the basket is rather roomy and big compared to most other strollers. We've fit diaper bags, toddler bags, groceries and a toy stroller easily in it.

jjenniebug
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Legaleagle, I haven't completely ruled out a sbs but there will be many times I need the stroller to be a single, so I just don't think a sbs will work :(

Everyone else- thanks so much for the info! I guess I need to go back to the store and take a better look at the b-ready basket when the second seat is attached. I'll keep you all posted!!

swissair81
06-25-2012, 06:49 PM
I guess I'm not sure why you wouldn't just stop and feed the baby a bottle if he is hungry. I don't think that's a real reason to not buy a stroller that otherwise works for you. There is one SBS that could also function as a single btw. The Mountain Buggy Duet has an accessory called the Joey that makes the second seat into a storage space. It's kind of interesting looking. Not quite my style, but perhaps worth taking a look at.

Multimama
06-25-2012, 07:20 PM
There is one SBS that could also function as a single btw. The Mountain Buggy Duet has an accessory called the Joey that makes the second seat into a storage space. It's kind of interesting looking. Not quite my style, but perhaps worth taking a look at.

Yeah, I bet the Duet is about the same width (or maybe narrower!) than the B-ready. The B-ready is a really wide stroller.

I was confused about feeding a baby a bottle while walking too. I've never heard of that.

jjenniebug
06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
It's not that I wouldn't stop to feed him- more so that I would like him to be at arm's reach versus below me- just a peace of mind thing I guess :) I will check out the Duet- I keep reading how great it is, so I guess I should give the sbs a shot- do any stores sell the MB so I could see one in person?

swissair81
06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
My local Buy Buy Baby carries them.

I understand not wanting to have a baby so low to the ground. I'm not a fan of the B-Ready. My preferred car double is the MB +One. I was just wondering about the logistics of bottle feeding while walking. I've done many a strange thing in parenting my 4 (and I'm sure I will come up with more when #5 shows up), but I had never encountered that :)

Kaylee31
06-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I bet the Duet is about the same width (or maybe narrower!) than the B-ready. The B-ready is a really wide stroller.

I was confused about feeding a baby a bottle while walking too. I've never heard of that.

I think the Duet is 25" wide, and the B-Ready is 26".

I never fed DS on the go, but have with DD frequently in the past couple of months, since she can grip the bottle at least. When she was a newborn, I fed her in the sling while I grocery shopped a couple of times. When you also have a hyper toddler with you, and are somewhere where he could cause destruction & chaos in the 10-15 min. it takes to drink a bottle, it's easier to multi-task. I have pushed DD in the Vista around Target while feeding her a bottle. If you prop it up with a rolled blanket, you don't have to hold it the entire time, just re-adjust once in a while. :)

BabyBearsMom
06-26-2012, 07:07 AM

They are about the same width but I thought the seats on the Duet were small. My DD1 is very tall and does not fit in the Swift and my understanding is that the Duets seats are even smaller

shmeetz
06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Don't know if this helps much, but I was going through this same dilemma over the past months because of this site, too! I have a BJCS and I do love it but the b-ready fans here have made me second guess it because of the one thing that I do not like about the BJCS - the difficult turning. In the end I decided that I really like my BJCS too much to sell it and go for the b-ready. I just love all the configs and I don't like the fact that the second seat is "under" the first in the b-ready.

I can't imagine you'll HATE either one whichever you choose. Good luck!

jjenniebug
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Shmeetz- yes! That's pretty much where I am! I am going to go take one more peek at all of them at BBB again today but I just don't think I can do the B-ready bc of the second seat thing. I am tempted, though, by the upcoming Britax Free Ride event where I could get the second seat free- arrrgh!!

My plan is to still do an inline (leaning towards BJCS as of right now, but that seems to change with the wind)... I *think* I've ruled out sbs for a regular stroller. Then i hope to find a good used sbs AT for walks around the neighborhood that i can leave set up in the garage... just gotta tell the hubby about that one now- Haha! I can hear the sigh already ;)

Multimama
06-26-2012, 01:36 PM
It's not that I wouldn't stop to feed him- more so that I would like him to be at arm's reach versus below me- just a peace of mind thing I guess :) I will check out the Duet- I keep reading how great it is, so I guess I should give the sbs a shot- do any stores sell the MB so I could see one in person?

That makes sense. I admit I'd probably not want to put a little baby in the bottom seat either, but some people say they actually like doing that because strangers are less likely to approach and try to touch your kiddo when they are in the lower seat.

They are about the same width but I thought the seats on the Duet were small. My DD1 is very tall and does not fit in the Swift and my understanding is that the Duets seats are even smaller

Yeah, if your DD1 doesn't fit in the Swift I don't think she'll fit in the Duet. But my tall 3 year old fit in the Duet and liked it so it works for some kids. It just depends whether their height is in their torso or their legs.

Thanks for the description of bottle feeding on the go, Kaylee. My LO has now decided public places are too interesting to nurse in so I'm really not sure he'd ever take a bottle in Target. :)

jjenniebug
06-26-2012, 01:37 PM
And Kaylee- that's exactly what I envision... baby starts to get hungry but if I let my crazy toddler out, lord help us, so feed the baby while walking to the car where I can let crazy toddler out- whew! It's exhausting just thinking about it ;) At any rate, I like the idea of baby being at arms reach- thx for the post!!

MSWR0319
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
We have the Bready with a 3.5 yo and 2 month old. dS 2 ride in the second seat fully reclined which eats up your basket space. We fit a medium sized thermal bag with food in it, a large diaper bag full of stuff, a 31 lunch tote full of water and a canvas bag with a few cans of Pringles in it when we went to the zoo. couldn't believe how much was in the basket and I could get to it all from the front or sides.