PDA

View Full Version : Which fashion magazines inspire you?

tlw
06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
In search of updating my look, I browsed through some magazines at the library yesterday, hoping to find the 'right' one to subscribe to at home. I'll be 40 this year, and am looking for inspiration that is fashionable, yet grown-up. The articles in Glamour (two-toned mascara!) are not exactly what I'm looking for. So, in which magazines do you find inspiration for your style?

hillview
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Vogue is the best IMO

boolady
06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
While for actual fashion advice, I'm sure Vogue or Harper's Bazaar are better, I do love the more downmarket InStyle. I just love the combination of inexpensive and expensive outfit suggestions, suggestions for in your 20s, 30s, 40s, cosmetics and jewelry reviews/ideas, etc. I subscribed to Vogue for many years and loved reading it and looking at all of the beautiful things, but I guess now that I'm in my late 30's, I'm more intrigued by what's practical for me in terms of lifestyle and price point.

jvs195
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
For clothes and combination ideas I would actually wear IRL I use Stylewatch, People Instyle and Lucky. I'll look through Glamour, Marie Claire and Vogue big issues, but not as inspiring on a monthly basis. Blogs are more up to date too and great for inspiration.

arivecchi
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I used to get an insane amount of magazines but am now down to InStyle and Stylewatch. Lucky is a good one too. I dropped all the higher-end fashion mags because they were for the most part useless in terms of what I can now afford and had so many annoying pedantic articles!

cvanbrunt
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I like InStyle. It's realistic and I've learned a ton and made some changes based on it. I got a freebie subscription to Lucky and thought it was pretty good as well but didn't renew once I had to pay for it.

goldenpig
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I think the most useful fashion mags are People Stylewatch and InStyle. I also got Marie Claire and Lucky pretty cheap but if I had to pick two I'd pick Stylewatch and InStyle.

Can I also put in a plug for YouLookFab (http://youlookfab.com/)? I learned way more and find much more inspiration there than from a magazine. Plus you can get personalized feedback on your outfits and purchases on the forum. It's like the BBB of fashion!

AnnieW625
06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Not a fashion mag, but I really just love reading regular People and even if it is just a photo of a celeb. walking their dog on the street and or taking their kids somewhere sometimes just seeing an outfit I would wear on a regular basis like jeans and a plain tee or sweater inspires me to look for something similar the next time I shop. I used to get InStyle, and Real Simple, but got bored with them because it was all of the same stuff and such; everything rotated depending on the seasons and such. I still read them at the hair or nail salon though. Not a huge fan of Lucky either.

DrSally
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I used to get an insane amount of magazines but am now down to InStyle and Stylewatch. Lucky is a good one too. I dropped all the higher-end fashion mags because they were for the most part useless in terms of what I can now afford and had so many annoying pedantic articles!

These are the ones I like for inspiration. I also like Marie .claire for makeup advice, and sometimesthey have good articles. glamour has gotten more like cosmo, Imo.

mackmama
06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
InStyle is my fav.