PDA

View Full Version : Need some BTDT experience

gatorsmom
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Im thrilled to say tht after being on a waiting list for 6 months, Greenbean is now seeing a very good OT once a week. We started Therapeutic Listening yesterday. We are supposed to do it up to 20 minutes at a time, twice a day with a three hour break in between. We did a 20 minute session yesTerday and again today.

Here is the thing- I see a HUGE difference in His behavior after he has a session. He is restless, irritable, very impatient, quick to anger and quick to hit or bite his siblings or me. Our nanny has noticed it too. We spend the next 2-3 hours after each session trying to calm down Greenbean. It is exhausting for everyone.

Any suggestions or thoughts? We've noticed that if we really need to keep him occupied he will sit and watch the iPad or iPod with an unusual amount of attention. He also seems to be calmed while playing in water like at an outdoor water table or with play dough.

I think the thing that is most frustrating about this behavior is that is a regression. This was his typical behavior 18 months ago but he had made progress. This therapy seems to have set us back.

I guess I'd just like to know others' thoughts on this who have some experience with Therapeutic Listening. And please reassure me that the results will be worth the trouble!

mytwosons
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Call the OT and ask.

I remember this happening to someone and for the life of me, I can't remember if it was a good or bad sign (in biomed, regressions can mean the treatment is working and you need to hang in there). I think it might mean they need to slow down a bit and/or try a different CD.

Call the OT.

ETA: the results will be worth the trouble! ;-)

hillview
06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
NO experience on this topic specifically. I do find with DS1 specifically after "holding it together" in a stressful (which for him could be just new) he devolves right after. Anyway -- hope someone with expertise will also weigh in !

HIU8
06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Cal the OT. I remember DS having issues with some of the CD' and we had to stop them and go back to others. The OT stopped the CD's giving problems immediately (one made DS rather violent--punching and hitting; several others had bad effects as well).

snowbunnies300
06-26-2012, 10:31 PM
We do Beard Auditory Intergration Therapy (AIT) which is a listening therapy. The boys listen for 30 mins 2 times a day with a three hour break inbetween. We were warned ahead of time that AIT therapy causes reorganization and regression (many times you see bad behaviors emerge). Typically if you see these you have a good sign that the therapy is working. Many times you will see a "glimmer" of a new/positive behavior or skill obtained on day 3 to 5.

We do this every six months and it is a two weeks long each time. The more times each of the boys has done AIT the less regression. Your OT should give you the information you need to help with this. Are you brushing? We are suppose to brush several times a day during AIT. OT should be able to either give you the theraputic brush or you may purchase one from them.

I SWEAR BY AIT THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know where my children would be in their therapies and lives if we didn't do this every six months. It is a huge commitment as we drive 25 mins one way for the morning session. Then home. Then back to therapy and then home again. When they are in school we are taking them to school, out of school and then back to school. Many school districts in our area will not allow this but our smaller disctric sees the benefits first hand and encourage us to follow through. I could write more and have more suggestions of you are interested ~ I'm canning plum jam right now and have to get the jars out of the steamer canner.

Good luck! Right now it is tuff but it will get better.:22:

DrSally
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I agree to ask the therapist about what it may mean. She has prob seen regression befor and could have a specific insight about what it means and how to handle.

JustMe
06-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Another vote to talk to the OT. Ther was recommended by dd's former OT (sessions covered by insurance ran out and I can't afford to pay, but hope to be back with her next year). She warned me when she told me about Therapeutic Listening that I might see some regression when we first started. I don't remember the rationale for that.

Good luck and please keep up posted. I would love to know what the OT says or how this progresses as I am strongly considering starting this with dd very soon.