PDA

View Full Version : non toxic sunscreen?

Sunspot
06-26-2012, 10:05 PM
help! i've been looking on skin deep new 2012 sunscreen review. Id like to get something reasonably priced with a safe rating...I was thinking about babyganics but read reviews that it didn't spread easy? any recommendations for good sunscreen?

Philly Mom
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
I am using babyganics. I have not had amy problems. Also use badger, which is a bit harder.

edurnemk
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
California baby spreads quite easily, IMO

Here's a few more options: http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/sunscreen/2/

citymama
06-27-2012, 01:24 AM
I like Blue Lizard Baby. It's effective and pretty well-rated on the Skin Deep database. It's my sunscreen of choice for the family and has done a great job of keeping everybody well-protected even at mid-day on the beaches of Hawaii. It goes on very easily. Drugstore.com currently has 25% off all suncare products (or did a few days ago) through ebates, so I was able to get a large bottle for about $18 (with 12% cash back through ebates).

I just bought a small tube of Badger to try out but was disappointed to see it contained lavender (contains estrogen mimicking chemicals). I plan on using it for DH and me.

California Baby is relatively non-toxic but also not very effective at preventing sunburn IME.

People here have good things to say about Purple Prairie and Alba sunscreen but I haven't tried either. My DD2 has nut allergies so I avoid products with shea butter, almond or macadamia oil, so Alba hasn't been an option.

Yes, I look CLOSELY at ingredients - and sometimes reach for the Banana Boat all the same. ;)

TwoBees
06-27-2012, 09:05 AM
We have been using the babyganics SPF 30 and SPF 50 this year and I LOVE them so far. They spread so much easier than the J+J sunscreen.

edurnemk
06-27-2012, 09:37 AM
I just bought a small tube of Badger to try out but was disappointed to see it contained lavender (contains estrogen mimicking chemicals). I plan on using it for DH and me.

If you like it, there's an unscented version that doesn't contain lavender. Although it does have shea butter.

lmh2402
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
we used PP for the last few summers and it worked to prevent burns, but i really hated applying it - it was just too thick and too white

this year we've been bouncing burn out, true kids and seventh generation.

they all apply much easier than the PP. they all seem to work well. and are well rated on skin deep. but safemama specifically addressed not recommending the true kids and the seventh generation. i stressed about that initially, but for now i'm just going with what i've got on hand and that seems to work. my DS has extremely sensitive skin and he got rashes from several of the other popular brands that people have reco'd here. but no rash/reaction from the three we're using right now.

jam224
06-28-2012, 03:24 AM
My SIL uses Episencial (http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/437588/Episencial_Broad_Spectrum_Sunscreen%2C_SPF_35/) on her daughter. I know you can easily find that at Target. I use and like Supergoop (http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/442750/Supergoop%21_Antioxidant-Infused_Sunscreen_Day_Cream%2C_SPF_50_/) for my daughter. I just bought this Sport Stick (http://www.drugstore.com/babo-botanicals-clear-zinc-sport-stick-spf-30/qxp355179?catid=184132) by Babo Botanicals to try next though. I want something that I can keep in the diaper bag.

khughes
06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I used CA Baby but recently switched to Episencial. It doesn't leave the white film that CA Baby leaves on my daughter. It's not as thick and much cheaper.

acmom
06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
We have been using Alba this year and really like it so far - very easy to apply and rubs in all the way. Scent is light and my kids have sensitive skin but have not gotten any rashes from it. It is a little on the greasy side but I prefer that to really thick. Wegmans often has it on sale which makes it cheaper than some of the other options. We had used Neutrogena Baby and Aveeno baby in the past, but found them to leave a white residue that got all over everything.

MoeJoe
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I've used Babyganics this year and last year, but as easy as it is to spread you have to really rub it in to get the white out. Doesn't bother me though.
About the Episencial, how much does it run at Target? And where can I find it? I've never come across it before...
Actually right now I'm ISO a healthier sunscreen spray. I decided on Babyganics spray, but when I finally got myself over to BRU- they were all out! Any recs? Also needs to be reasonably priced. ;)

kaharris83
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
We used to use CA Baby, but as PP said we found it didn't prevent burns especially when sweating. Now we use the Badger Baby formula. It does not contain lavender like the other formula. It has calendula so it smells nice and works great. You have to knead the tube before applying but we have no problems applying it.

mikala
07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Actually right now I'm ISO a healthier sunscreen spray. I decided on Babyganics spray, but when I finally got myself over to BRU- they were all out! Any recs? Also needs to be reasonably priced. ;)

All-Terrain spray works really well and is on the SafeMama list. The kid and adult versions seem to work the same so I just watch for sales on it.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-TerraSport-Oxybenzone-Free-Sunscreen/dp/B003DKRHC8/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1341970141&sr=1-3&keywords=all-terrain+sunscreen+spray

ett
07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
We've been using All Terrain Kidsport. It spreads on easier than CA Baby and it's way cheaper. It also doesn't give DS2 a rash, while the CA Baby did.

MoeJoe
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
All-Terrain spray works really well and is on the SafeMama list. The kid and adult versions seem to work the same so I just watch for sales on it.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-TerraSport-Oxybenzone-Free-Sunscreen/dp/B003DKRHC8/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1341970141&sr=1-3&keywords=all-terrain+sunscreen+spray

Thanks, I guess I'll just watch for a sale- as you said. Right now that's a bit steep for me :)