PDA

View Full Version : How long without a poop?

BabyBearsMom
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
DD2 is 9wks old. She normally poops 2-4 times per day. She hasn't pooped for over 30 hours and is super cranky today. She is mostly bf'd (one bottle of formula per day). Is this too long? I'm mostly concerned because we are going on a flight this weekend and I don't want her to be sick while we are so far away

Wait, it is actually over 50 hrs. The last poop was midday Monday. I thought it was Tuesday but it's Wednesday

♥ms.pacman♥
06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
that doesn't sound unusual at all. when my DS was 3 mos (he was EBF), he went for 5 DAYS without pooping! normally he would go 3x a day, but for whatever reason he went for a while without doing it. We were traveling on the last day, and of course 10 minutes before we arrive, he decides to let it all out (LOL!).

I've had similar things happen with DD, and it's totally normal. Even at 15m she will sometimes poo 4x a day, other day nothing at all..depends on what they ate i guess.

i read somewhere that for EBF babies, sometimes it can be 1 week without pooping and that's totally normal. i think the way to tell if they are really constipated is not by the frequency but the consistency of the poo (if it is really hard, etc). If so then i just give prune juice

amom526
06-27-2012, 05:58 PM
I think every baby is different, so it's hard to answer. Ds pooped once every 10-12 days as a newborn. But he never seemed uncomfortable. If she normally goes often, and seems uncomfortable I might call the dr. But it could just be her body's natural way of doing things.

truly scrumptious
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
At about 8 wks DS started pooping every 5 days (he was EBF). He was that way for a few months. Every baby is different , but this can happen because their bodies learn to process breast milk efficiently with very little waste.

Liziz
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Well, the time frame seems normal -- it's totally normal for EBF babies to go a few days without pooping. My DD will do this...typically every other day or every third day (but then, watch out!). So if it were me, the only thing I'd be worried about in relation to the trip is having a spare pair of clothes! However...if the lack of poop is making her cranky, then maybe something else is going on...hopefully she's feeling better tomorrow!

essnce629
06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
DS2 was EBF and pooped every 7 days for a long time. Once he went 10 whole days!!!