PDA

View Full Version : Talk to Me About Lactose Intolerance

Kindra178
06-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Just had ice cream with the boys on this 105 degree day and now I am ill. I have had stomachaches with ice cream before. I don't have a problem with milk in my coffee or greek yogurt. Could these major stomach symptoms be because I haven't had sugar for months, or this a lactose thing? Other symptoms? What do I need to give up?

Meatball Mommie
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Could be the lactose or it could be the sugar, especially since you haven't had sugar in a while. Yogurt is ok for the lactose intolerant because the bacteria in the yogurt consume the lactose in the dairy. I have the same problem. I am ok with most cheese and yogurt, but ice cream kills me.

pakin
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
I am lactose intolerant and I can eat Greek yogurt without any problems. I can't eat cheese without taking a Lactaid pill. Oh and I can't eat regular ice cream at all.

You can always do a "research" by eating lactose-free ice cream like this: http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/113856/lactose-free-vanilla and see how you feel. ;)

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

larig
06-29-2012, 12:32 PM
DH is lactose intolerant. He can't eat ice cream, but a pleasant alternative for him is coconut milk-based ice cream (trader joe's sells some).

Kindra178
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
DH is lactose intolerant. He can't eat ice cream, but a pleasant alternative for him is coconut milk-based ice cream (trader joe's sells some).

Yum! I have never seen it there (only at WF), so I will look. Thanks guys.