PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Prime=$6.58 a month, yes or no? Updated OP

AnnieW625
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Update: I just did it. I took the plunge and did prime for a year.

Do you have it? Or if you had it and don't have it why didn't you renew?

I am on the fence, but leaning towards yes. After two years of Amazon Mom Prime my Prime is gone. Now that they have free returns on shoes, and such I am tempted to give this a go for a year. Prior to AP I always did free super saver shipping and was happy, but once AP showed up it got really slow. As much as I love shopping locally at my Target with my Target card (5% off everything, and free shipping from Target.com), and I have a free vip overnight shipping account with Zappos.com (if you get the email sign up, it is great) Amazon usually has better prices on shoes, but paying for shoe returns can get expensive so I have always just done Zappos, but now with free returns I think I might still get a better deal. We don't have a kindle and everything I have always wanted on the instant viewing even with prime was never free.

I did a fair amount of back to school shopping there last year, holiday shopping, and now that my brother lives in Oregon his birthday present is usually from Amazon as well.

Oh and if it matters any in 2013 sometime I have to start paying tax to Amazon due to state laws.

(I would love some responses before 1 pm PDT because if I do AP I can get my sandal order by July 5th)

TwinFoxes
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I had Amazon Prime, converted to Amazon Mom. It has saved my butt many times. I found out two days before that there was a snow storm on the way (Snowmageddon) and I ordered new toys for DDs to keep them entertained. Seeing the UPS truck pull up as the first snowflakes fell was such a relief (OK, I know you don't worry about snow OP). It's also saved me all the times I've forgotten my relatives' birthdays. And now the free streaming movies and free kindle books really make regular prime worth it in my opinion.

infocrazy
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm on the fence. We have been without prime for about 6 months and it sucks. I REALLY want it back, but I hate the idea of paying for it. I do have a kindle, but I've been fine with the library. I've never done streaming yet.

I wish they would allow me to do Amazon Mom again, I have ended up not buying from Amazon for some stuff just because I hate paying for shipping.

hillview
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Well I love it. I use it weekly.

georgiegirl
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I lost my amazon mom prime in march and I'm so sad. I'm almost ready to shell out the money for it. I got so used to that 2 day shipping.

niccig
07-02-2012, 01:00 PM

:yeahthat: It has paid for itself in not having to pay for shipping for all the presents and household items I get. I don't have the time to run to the store, so amazon is where I get many things.

BillK
07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
It's so worth it....yet very dangerous.

SnuggleBuggles
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
When my Mom deal ran out, I wanted to renew ASAP. Dh was not on board. It expired in Dec and I know I have saved a bunch! I used to get Amazon packages every few days; some were complete impulse buys. I now have to think harder thus I spend less.

queenmama
07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
It's so worth it....yet very dangerous.

Truth. Particularly with an Amazon app that has my payment info stored.

I take advantage of AP all the time. And we have Nooks in our house, not Kindles! The only gripe is that their streaming doesn't work with Wii.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

AnnieW625
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
When my Mom deal ran out, I wanted to renew ASAP. Dh was not on board. It expired in Dec and I know I have saved a bunch! I used to get Amazon packages every few days; some were complete impulse buys. I now have to think harder thus I spend less.

This is me too, but i have never been a huge instant gratification Amazon shopper so I don't think the AP will hurt me this way. Prior to this order the last order I made that wasn't baby related or a ship & save related was the Sonicare Kids I ordered for DD1 in April. It was still covered by AM Prime. DH is very much on a keep spending low so I am leaning towards no at this point, but I am sure I can sway him a bit.

Truth. Particularly with an Amazon app that has my payment info stored.

I have that ap as well, but have never actually ordered anything with it because I am usually at Target, Walmart or Costco and the price is comparable in most cases so for ease I just buy it locally, ESP. if it is a gift. I also start Christmas shopping in September due to budgeting and so I don't have a huge bill in January so I can usually just do the 3 day or free, but the shipping direct makes that easy too and less trips to the post office as well.

egoldber
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
We've had Prime since Prime first started. We :heartbeat: it.

I don't tend to impulse buy at Amazon. In fact it saves us a ton of money in searching for "filler" items to get the free shipping.

arivecchi
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
:yeahthat: Could not live without it! Between working FT and kids, I have no time to shop except for hitting the grocery store. I order pretty much everything from amazon.

lizzywednesday
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I had Prime through Amazon Mom and loved it.

DH appreciated the convenience as well, so we signed up to pay for it. We still use it enough to justify the costs, but we're not going crazy with it.

DH and I share the cost, so it's not so bad paying for it.

FWIW, I've been a regular Amazon customer almost since they opened, and I appreciate the Prime shipping a lot more that I no longer have to hunt for "filler" items to get the free super-saver shipping!

ellies mom
07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I really like it. I think it is worth the money not having to deal with the Smart Post shipping that everyone seems to be moving to these days (it's bad enough on free shipping but when I have to pay for it?).

AnnieW625
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
updated the OP.

crl
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I see you decided to do it. I love Amazon Prime. Target and such are very inconvenient for me, plus I find I make far fewer impulse purchases through Amazon as compared to going to Target. So even if I'm not getting the best price on a particular item, I think my overall spending is lower.

Catherine

JElaineB
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Glad you made your decision. Our second round of Amazon mom ran out June 5 and I've survived for almost a month. But I don't like it. I will probably cave soon and pay for it.