PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks for Kindergarteners?

vonfirmath
07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
What did your Kindergartener use as a bag for school?

maestramommy
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Dora used LE's Small haul. It was plenty big. She'll be using it next year for 1st grade. I couldn't find one for Arwyn so I got her LL Bean's Original Bookpack. It's the same length, maybe a little less deep. That's as big as I was willing to go. Arwyn's only 40.5 inches tall, so I just couldn't see getting anything bigger.

AnnieW625
07-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Last year DD1 used a Lands End Study Haul, and it is a wonderful pack, however I don't care for the prints or the redesign of this years Study Haul pack at all so if I were buying I would most likely go with an LL Bean Original or the new LL Bean Explorer pack, which is very similar to what the Study Haul was last year.

DD1 will use the same Study Haul pack this year as well. The original Small Haul (I think that is what it was called in mid 2008 when I bought it) is still in great shape and she easily could have used it again in kindergarten, but since I decided it was cool to start kindergarten with a backpack she picked out on her own I am glad I went with the Study Haul vs. the Small Haul.

In her class I think four of the five Pottery Barn Kids backpacks made it through to the end of the year (a Star Wars one, the Gecko one, and a light blue one, the brown floral print one didn't finish the end of the school year, not sure why), but Hanna Andersson (both mesenger, and regular backpack), and Jansport were the other popular brands in her class. Ebags sells smaller Jansport ones.

citymama
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
My DD used a Garnet Hill backpack (came with a matching lunchbox) as her K pack and she will be using it again in 1st grade. It's plenty big, lightweight, durable and super cute. The lunch box came as a freebie but ended up being very useful and well-made.

lhafer
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
DD1 used a Junior Original LL Bean backpack. I got it for her for preschool, but didn't end up needing it. So she used it for K. It worked perfectly.

Now DD2 needs a backpack for Mother's Day Out/Preschool, so I got DD1 the Critter backpack from LLBEAN and am passing the Junior Original down to DD2.

I got a deal on the Critter backpack - the backpack and critter lunchbox were $35. Normally the backpack alone is $40.

crl
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Ds had a LE backpack, not sure on size, I think they changed the names since then. He had had an LLB bag for preschool and the zipper was always getting stuck (for me too, not just him) on the fabric. He carried his LE bag for K and 1st and then we got a bigger LE bag for 2nd. Unfortunately, I let him pick yellow and I can't get it looking decent again. I guess we will get a new bag again this year. I'm thinking a small adult bag at point as he is quite tall and hopefully it will last through the rest of elementary.

Catherine

Kindra178
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
LE study haul. It literally looks brand new after a year of kinder. Ds1 will definitely use it for first and maybe second too. We washed ours several times over the year and it still has held up well.

The pbk backpacks are great too, although the small was too small for kinder and the large is too big.

My twins have the small haul that I got at one of 2011's crazy sales. Imo, definitely too small for kindergarten in a cold climate (snow pants, etc). There are also so many days that start pretty cool and end warm, so the extra space was great for ds1's fleece.

I have said this before but I think the LE backpacks have too many pockets. One big one and one small one would better serve the K and first graders better. DS1 sometimes got confused as to where I put his snack or money. The pbk bags have a better set up (one huge pocket, one medium small pocket and one tiny pocket that is perfect for money and library card). I wonder if any of the llb bags have that two pocket set up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Simon
07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Ds1 used his Land's End Small Haul. It was his 3rd year using it full time (2 years of preschool first). It is a light blue and still in excellent condition. He is quite small so it is a good size for him. It easily has years of life left.

We may or may not use it for 1st grade. Its still in great shape, but I may have him hand it down to Ds3 and get a new bag. I'd choose the next size up from LE or go with LL Bean's smallest size, which I think is a little bigger (Ds2 has one).

ZeeBaby
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
DD1 has the PBK Fairfax small backpack. I love it. She used it for preschool last year and will use it for preK. My hope is that it makes it to 2nd grade. It still looks new.

o_mom
07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
LE here too. DS1 used his for K, 1st and 2nd. It is now being passed down to DS3 for K.

AnnieW625
07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I have said this before but I think the LE backpacks have too many pockets. One big one and one small one would better serve the K and first graders better. DS1 sometimes got confused as to where I put his snack or money. The pbk bags have a better set up (one huge pocket, one medium small pocket and one tiny pocket that is perfect for money and library card). I wonder if any of the llb bags have that two pocket set up

See I disagree there, the third non zippered pouch on the LE doesn't bother me at all, and it didn't seem to bother DD1. The 3 pocket system was fine for her. DD1 had a pencil pouch in her backpack which is where money went. The Study Haul that we have though wasn't specifically designed with kinders in mind, the Small Haul was, but since we slready had one I thought it was a tad small. I think the STH was designed more for 2nd to 4th, or 5th graders and last year LE had a height guide as well and the SH was rec. for students 48" to up to 5' or 5'3" or 5'4" tall. So IMHO if you want something with less pockets then the LLB Original or a Jansport Half Pint with two pockets, and a tiny zippered pocket is probably the way to go.

carolinamama
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
DS1 used his LE Study Haul. It has held up beautifully and he will be using it again for 1st grade.

Kindra178
07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
See I disagree there, the third non zippered pouch on the LE doesn't bother me at all, and it didn't seem to bother DD1. The 3 pocket system was fine for her. DD1 had a pencil pouch in her backpack which is where money went. The Study Haul that we have though wasn't specifically designed with kinders in mind, the Small Haul was, but since we slready had one I thought it was a tad small. I think the STH was designed more for 2nd to 4th, or 5th graders and last year LE had a height guide as well and the SH was rec. for students 48" to up to 5' or 5'3" or 5'4" tall. So IMHO if you want something with less pockets then the LLB Original or a Jansport Half Pint with two pockets, and a tiny zippered pocket is probably the way to go.

The Small Haul has the same annoying pocket configuration, just with smaller proportions. The medium pocket is the one that annoys me because little kids (like my twins at camp) stuff things in the medium pocket that don't really fit.

The new version of the Study Haul is the Medium Classmate:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/boys-solid-classmate-medium-backpack~239627_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::IND&CM_MERCH=search-_-backpacks&origin=search

It has two pockets only, a big and a little.

KpbS
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
DS'S K required them to use a tote bag instead of a backpack. I had already purchased an LL Bean Critter backpack which he used for first and I expect to last through 4th grade, maybe longer. Love it.

jjordan
07-02-2012, 10:50 PM
My dd used an LLBean Junior Original. It worked perfectly. (And, incidentally, still looks brand new after having been in use for 4 years now - we got it for her 2nd birthday, and she's 6 now.)

new_mommy25
07-02-2012, 11:50 PM
DD used a LE Featherlight 100. It looks great after a year and I plan on washing it before the next school year begins. We also have the matching lunch box which looks almost brand new.

DS used a LLB Original bag (not the Junior). It was an okay fit because DS was tall. IMO, the LLB is pretty much the perfect bag. It's super roomy and has great organization. However, the lack of water bottle holder always kind of bugged me (we used a carabiner to attach a Camelback) so when the LE Featherlight 300 went super cheap last year I grabbed it. DS will use the LE again, it's held up great despite DS's abuse, and the LLB is his travel backpack. I plan on buying DD an original LLB as well for travel, so the kids can match. I have issues. :)

new_mommy25
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
The pbk bags have a better set up (one huge pocket, one medium small pocket and one tiny pocket that is perfect for money and library card). I wonder if any of the llb bags have that two pocket set up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Def look into the LLB Original. It has two pockets and the smaller pocket has really good organization for lunch money, cards, pencils, etc. I really love the bag and have contemplated getting one for myself. :)

Mermanaid
07-03-2012, 12:13 AM
DD just used one of the $5-10 backpacks from Target. Seemed to work just fine. I love the look of the LLB and LE versions but I don't want to pay that much when she wants a new pack every year.

bisous
07-03-2012, 03:31 AM
I got a very inexpensive and nice backpack for DS1 last year at Costco. I think it was $15 and it looks brand new. However, I think it is way too big for a Kindergartner!

I can't feel the love for the LE or the LLBean colors or styles--just not for me. I'll probably get a cheap/character backpack from target for K. This is what we did for DS1 and it lasted the entire year. DS1 has got to be harder on clothing/stuff than any child I've ever met so I'm pretty confident that even a cheap pack can last a year.

klwa
07-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Another Lands End buyer. I think we got the Small Haul, which appears to now be called the Classmate Small. I plan to use it for 1st grade & then get him a bigger size when he goes to 2nd.

MichelleRC
07-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Ds2 also used the smaller sized LE backpack for prek and K. He switched to a bigger bag for 1st and up, but we still use the smaller bag for camp, and are in fact taking it with us to Epcot today. The thing is made like iron.

hellokitty
07-03-2012, 08:07 AM
My two older boys both used the LL bean jr original backpack for preschool and and K. However, once they need to carry a lunch box, we upgraded to the LL bean little critter backpacks for the additional depth.

KHF
07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
DD used the LL Bean Junior Original for kindergarten and the Critter backpack for first.

mom2binsd
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Make sure it will easily fit a full size folder...nothing worse than as a teacher having to stuff folders/art work into the smaller folders.

I got DD a cute Gap backpack in K....it still works for her and she's entering 4th grade, it fits folders, a textbook, her lunch bag and shoes if needed.

She picked butterflies and still likes the pattern.

AnnieW625
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I can't feel the love for the LE or the LLBean colors or styles--just not for me. I'll probably get a cheap/character backpack from target for K. This is what we did for DS1 and it lasted the entire year. DS1 has got to be harder on clothing/stuff than any child I've ever met so I'm pretty confident that even a cheap pack can last a year.

I hear you on the LE packs, so glad we got ours last year, the LLB non prints are okay and I like the critter pack more this year than last, but honestly I wish our Target would have had a better selection of girl character packs last year because if they had had a better selection we would have done that especially for the younger grades because styles change and there is nothing worse than having a kid complain about a backpack. Thankfully DD1 hasn't complained yet. The kids who had character packs in DD1's class last year lasted the entire school year.

sarahsthreads
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
We got the smaller sized Children's Place backpack (the size they keep in the toddler section) because DD1 was *so* petite in K. It lasted for all of K and half of 1st and only was replaced because she hit a growth spurt. DD2 may use it because it's got tons of her favorite color (yellow) in the pattern and still looks pretty much new. Honestly, I think it's comparable in quality to the Lands End one that DD1 carries now...

Sarah :)

elektra
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I was just thinking about K backpacks too!
What do you guys think of this one? It's the LLBean Explorer.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75462?feat=506219-GN2
Seems like the two most popular are the LE Small Haul (now called the Classmate Small Backpack) and the LLB Original Book Pack.

And that too many pockets can be confusing for the little ones, but a side pocket for a water bottle is a good feature.

I really liked the look of this one and so did DD when I showed her the catalog. Maybe it will be too big though?
I liked that it had only 2 zipper pockets.

I know I am way overthinking this but it's been fun to look and compare. :)

AnnieW625
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Elektra, I like the Explorer more than the current style of LE Classmate. It is almost identical to the Study Haul we got last year. If I were you I would order the Explorer, and the Original and see which one works best.

Ebags also keeps Jansport Half Pint kids bags. A few kids in DD1's class had them, and they worked out fine as well. No bottle holder though. As an older student I had a few of them and was happy with them.

schrocat
07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
DS1 had the LLB Critter backpack for Kindergarten and First grade. I bought him a new backpack for his birthday and the LLBean Critter backpack is now his Chinese School bag. It's still in good condition.

Kindra178
07-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I was just thinking about K backpacks too!
What do you guys think of this one? It's the LLBean Explorer.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75462?feat=506219-GN2
Seems like the two most popular are the LE Small Haul (now called the Classmate Small Backpack) and the LLB Original Book Pack.

And that too many pockets can be confusing for the little ones, but a side pocket for a water bottle is a good feature.

I really liked the look of this one and so did DD when I showed her the catalog. Maybe it will be too big though?
I liked that it had only 2 zipper pockets.

I know I am way overthinking this but it's been fun to look and compare. :)

I think the analysis should be between the LLB Explorer and the LE Classmate Medium (designed for kids 7 and up which is still perfectly fine for a k'er). Both have all the features you want and will last at least two years in school. The other options have some negative attributes like covered zippers, no water bottle pocket or one that doesn't work well.

ETA:

For half day k, a smaller backpack is probably fine. I think when you are putting a lunch box in a backpack, that takes up a lot of room. Just a thought!

ellies mom
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
For me, there is the scale issue. Both my girls are rather petite so the smaller scale bags just work better for them. When my oldest started pre-school (one year) and needed a full size bag we bought a "woman's" bag that worked pretty well but it fell apart part way through kindergarten. My husband went out and bought a regular size bag and it just overwhelmed her. We couldn't get the straps down small enough so it was always hanging way down her back. It was really wide compared to her and so on. It just wasn't a good fit. So we replaced it with one of the medium sized LE bags the next year and we've been really happy with it. It holds everything it needs to hold and fits her really well so I don't feel like she is going to be pulled over backwards. When DD2 started pre-school we bought her the smallest full sized LE bag we could get and it fits her really well and could easily work for kindergarten as well.

Simon
07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
For me, there is the scale issue. Both my girls are rather petite so the smaller scale bags just work better for them.

:yeahthat: My boys are so small that even the Medium sized bags were way too big. We used the LE Small Haul (can't recall the new name) and it held all books, papers, a pair of shoes and a small lunch with room to spare.

Even though we need them, I do NOT include snow pants/boots in the backpack. I actually don't want him to carry those back and forth each day so we have a pair to leave at school.

hillview
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
We have 2 of these (older models)
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Grommet-Backpack-Tangerine-Flowers/dp/B001M0NUKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341352060&sr=8-1&keywords=kelty+backpack+kids

DS1 has had it for going on 5 years
DS2 has had it for going on 3 years

The zipper is great and it holds a planet box lunchbox or laptop lunch box, spare set of clothes in a ziploc (or a sweatshirt) and a folder of school work.

HTH

csnoop
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I too am looking for backpack for DD who is starting kinder next month. I was going to put in a request to the grandparent to get her a backpack for her birthday. BUT I am really disappointed w/the prints at both LE and LLB. The girly LE prints are so ugly to me. DD loves patterns so I know that you would prefer a patterned one to a solid colored one. For LLB, only one explorer print looks good to me. The rest of the solid colored ones are all so boyish. What is the deal?!?

I think I will have to request a backpack for DD from Garnet Hill...

CC

citymama
07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I too am looking for backpack for DD who is starting kinder next month. I was going to put in a request to the grandparent to get her a backpack for her birthday. BUT I am really disappointed w/the prints at both LE and LLB. The girly LE prints are so ugly to me. DD loves patterns so I know that you would prefer a patterned one to a solid colored one. For LLB, only one explorer print looks good to me. The rest of the solid colored ones are all so boyish. What is the deal?!?

I think I will have to request a backpack for DD from Garnet Hill...

CC

We were *really* happy with our Garnet Hill backpack and more importantly, lunch box. Cute and practical and well-made. Where did she get in to K - send me a PM!

vonfirmath
07-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Does no one buy the Toys R Us type backpacks?

I was hoping to take advantage of their sale this week.

Hrms. The Kelty does appear to be in what I can afford though.

queenmama
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
We used an LLB too... but I can't remember whether it's the junior or regular original. He used it for a few years and then we got a rolling pack. He didn't outgrow the first one or wear it out, he just started getting a lot of homework and seemed too little to haul it. He still uses the little backpack for overnights and as a daypack.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

AnnieW625
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM

I infrequently go to TRUS that I had no idea they keep backpacks until I was there on Sunday. I had a Kelty pack that lasted me through the 6th or 7th grade, I think I got it in the first grade. Another brand I had forgotten about. I had a $10 off purchase inside Sears for Lands End so that was about the only reason I went with the Land End over the LL Bean packs. I would just buy what you want and if that is the TRUS pack then get that one.

I can't remember if you have a girl or not, but here is a Hawaiian print LL Bean Original for $17.
http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70469

Kindra178
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM

I think if you could get a TRU pack for under $10, then go for it. The backpacks that I see at Target and the like are like $15-20, and from what other parents tell me, they are ripping by April. If you get a $30 LE one, it will most likely last multiple school years, so in the end, you are paying the same price.

I am pretty sure LE's backpacks got reduced in August last year, so ones listed in the $30s went down to $27 or $29.

ETA:

I got the Study Haul last year for $24 plus the cost of monogramming.

Shipped - 07.20.11

vonfirmath
07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Thank you. I'm going to show the Kelty to my son. He likes orange. He might go for it and it saves us a trip to TRU tomorrow. (Still need a lunchbox. But after what I hear here I think I'll wait and see what we can do that ways later)

ourbabygirl
07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for starting this thread- I'll be looking for a backpack for my DD for preschool, too. :)
If you do end up at TRU, you can get a free lunch kit (bag) and 20% off a backpack priced $12.99 or more when you trade in an old backpack. (Lunch bag is free even w/o the trade-in backpack.)
Good through July 7th (it's on the cover of their insert in Sunday's newspaper).

MontrealMum
07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Great thread! DS is starting kindy this fall so I was just beginning to think about this.

I'm just wondering, if your child does not have to bring lunch, how much impact does this have on the bag size? I'm thinking quite a bit? DS will be going to a school that offers lunch on-site k-6, so he'll never be needing to bring it with him. But, he's a big kid, so there aren't the same height/strength issues that some have, especially with younger kids. Also, we live in a super cold climate so there's the issue of toting shoes/boots/snowpants back and forth.

So, should I still be looking at the LE Classmate and the LLB Explorer? I was also considering the Garnet Hill Backpack (http://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hill-backpack/girls-clothing/backpack-collection/11527?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=0) or maybe something from Hanna? This is a grandparent gift :) so cost is not an issue, although quality is.

o_mom
07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
For half day k, a smaller backpack is probably fine. I think when you are putting a lunch box in a backpack, that takes up a lot of room. Just a thought!

We have been fine through second grade with the Small Haul size packs (which are bigger now than the ones we have). They fit a lunch box (LLB Critter), folder, library books, and, in winter, snowpants and boots.

Naranjadia
07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Great thread! Our school has specified "Large and waterproof" - I believe because of folders and at orientation they mentioned sending home library books. But looking at LE and GH, I assume most of these would qualify...

I guess I'll keep their Crocodile Creek backpacks for travel. :tongue5:

elektra
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Anyone up for further discussion on this topic?
Especially any LL Bean lovers?

So we got the LL Bean Explorer. I LOVE the pattern and overall look.
However, the main zipper is really bugging me. When I play with it, it seems like the zipper is going to get caught in the flap! And it doesn't open and close easily because of that flap.
However the Original Bookpack also seems to have that same flap design and people seem to love that (the Explorer is a new design).

I am contemplating trying one of the Lands End ones , but I don't like those patterns as much, and DD wants to keep the one we have. I just think that zipper is going to be a PITA for her.

Anyone else know what I am talking about?

ETA- crl looks like you guys had this problem too. :/

speo
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM

However, the main zipper is really bugging me. When I play with it, it seems like the zipper is going to get caught in the flap! And it doesn't open and close easily because of that flap.
However the Original Bookpack also seems to have that same flap design and people seem to love that (the Explorer is a new design).

I am contemplating trying one of the Lands End ones , but I don't like those patterns as much, and DD wants to keep the one we have. I just think that zipper is going to be a PITA for her.

We have had the LL Bean Original Junior for 2 years. While I do agree that the zipper can seem like it is going to catch, we actually have never had a problem. My son has been able to work it just fine in K and 1st. He has never complained. Don't know if it is really the same zipper as yours though?

elliput
07-11-2012, 09:46 PM
DD used a LE Sling bag (one shoulder strap) which is not made anymore. DS (in Pre-K) is using an LE Classmate Smallhaul.

mum-to-be
07-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm so confused about what to buy. I can get a PBK one with staff discount - should I do that? And if so, what size? DS only needs to take snack. I'm not sure if he needs to fit a folder. He is small so I was thinking a small PBK backpack.

Kindra178
07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm so confused about what to buy. I can get a PBK one with staff discount - should I do that? And if so, what size? DS only needs to take snack. I'm not sure if he needs to fit a folder. He is small so I was thinking a small PBK backpack.

Small from PBK would be fine with no lunchbox. Great, well made backpack. I do think the McKenzie style is nicer than the Fairfax.

E, covered zippers were talked about a ton last year during the backpack discussions. I think that was an issue raised by Bubbaray in connection with the featherlight LE ones. I do think you are right about potential problems. At ds1's school, he is zipping a backpack with wall to wall kids in the hallway rushing to go outside to play (and he likes to be first) after school. For us, that is a recipe for frustration. Can you order one of the LE ones to see what she thinks (compare zipper to zipper)?

In the alternative, maybe she could do a lot of practice with it before school starts?

MontrealMum
07-12-2012, 12:27 AM
I've been reading this thread closely and greatly appreciate all the advice :)

I was also planning on buying the LLB Explorer, though I have yet to do so. The zipper issue is worrisome.

Has anyone bought a Patagonia or North Face backpack for a child this age? I'm looking at these:
http://www.zappos.com/product/7961117/color/346238?utm_source=zappos_originated&utm_medium=zappos_badge&utm_term=SKU-7961117&utm_campaign=product_page_badge#prdInfo

http://www.zappos.com/product/7957147/color/74111?utm_source=zappos_originated&utm_medium=zappos_badge&utm_term=SKU-7957147&utm_campaign=product_page_badge

ahisma
07-12-2012, 12:35 AM
I've been reading this thread closely and greatly appreciate all the advice :)

I was also planning on buying the LLB Explorer, though I have yet to do so. The zipper issue is worrisome.

Has anyone bought a Patagonia or North Face backpack for a child this age? I'm looking at these:
http://www.zappos.com/product/7961117/color/346238?utm_source=zappos_originated&utm_medium=zappos_badge&utm_term=SKU-7961117&utm_campaign=product_page_badge#prdInfo

http://www.zappos.com/product/7957147/color/74111?utm_source=zappos_originated&utm_medium=zappos_badge&utm_term=SKU-7957147&utm_campaign=product_page_badge

I really like the Patagonia one! We don't have it, but I definitely think it's worth looking at.

crl
07-12-2012, 12:35 AM

Yes, that is exactly the problem we had. It's been so long ago that I have no idea which backpack we had, but it was a small one, like for preschoolers. I have an llbean backpack myself (used it for law school and it is still in great shape) and never had a problem. But the zipper on ds' would get stuck about thirty percent of the time when I tried to close it. So frustrating! I don't know if the smaller size accounts for the difference in my experiences or what. We switched to LE to get a backpack with no flap over the zipper for ds when he went to K.

I am on the hunt for a bigger backpack for ds for this coming year and undecided on whether I will give an adult size LLBean bag a try or a different brand. I'd like to get something now that can be used for several years.

Catherine

KpbS
07-12-2012, 01:07 AM

FWIW we've had no problems with the zippers on the LL Bean critter backpacks.

Hth!

Tammy
07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I've been following this thread as I'm looking to get DD a backpack for K this year. I hear a lot of posters mention making sure a full size folder will fit in the backpack (is this a 9x12 folder??). My DD is petite and about 45" tall. I don't want to get her a huge backpack, but don't want something too small either. Has to have the side water bottle pocket though. I will be getting her a lunchbox as well- would be nice if she could fit it in her bag to condense on things to keep track of. I like the LE ones, but don't like the patterns this year. I love the Garnet Hill patterns and I see their special is a free lunch pack with the backpack. The only thing keeping me from jumping on this deal is one poster mentioned she had issues fitting a full size folder in the GH backpack and would bend down. Looks like the LE backback (small classmate) is 1.5" taller than the GH one (which is 15" tall). Which would you get?? Thanks!!

AnnieW625
07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
We have an LE Study Haul, now the Class Mate Medium, and it is a good size for a kindergartener. We also almost bought the GH, and LL Bean Original Pack before DD1 finally settled on the LE one. I think they are all pretty comparable in size.

My DD1 was 43" tall and 40lbs. when she started kindergarten.

eta: just got a new Hanna Andersson catalog and their new line of backpacks looks to be zipper frustration free, Get In Gear backpack (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7c3%7c10%7c284%7c175%7c0%7c83%7c 2&simg=39001_R97), and similar to the old LE Small or Study Haul packs (yes I know the Study Haul has an open pocket on top of the second pocket), so this one might be one to check out. Last year they had backpacks in the store. They will ship free from the store though if they don't have what you want.

Gracemom
07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
We have 2 of these (older models)
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Grommet-Backpack-Tangerine-Flowers/dp/B001M0NUKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341352060&sr=8-1&keywords=kelty+backpack+kids

DS1 has had it for going on 5 years
DS2 has had it for going on 3 years

The zipper is great and it holds a planet box lunchbox or laptop lunch box, spare set of clothes in a ziploc (or a sweatshirt) and a folder of school work.

HTH

I think this is the perfect size for K. I just bought one off ebay for $15.99 shipped from ebay. Supposed to be new. Hope my son likes it. Thanks!

wolverine2
07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
DS2 really likes one of the patterns from Lands End, so I'm going to get the Classmate, but I'm not sure about small vs medium? DS is going to pre-K, so will only be 4, but it's at the "big" school, so will do typical K stuff and need to fit a folder and lunchbox in. I would love him to be able to use it through 1st grade ideally. Would you say M is too big for a 4 yr old? (he's not small) Would a S be able to be used in 1st grade (still pretty much just needs a folder and lunchbox inside)?

DS1 has a LLBean critter backpack and will be going on his 3rd year using it next fall in 2nd grade...

Kindra178
07-12-2012, 09:31 PM
DS2 really likes one of the patterns from Lands End, so I'm going to get the Classmate, but I'm not sure about small vs medium? DS is going to pre-K, so will only be 4, but it's at the "big" school, so will do typical K stuff and need to fit a folder and lunchbox in. I would love him to be able to use it through 1st grade ideally. Would you say M is too big for a 4 yr old? (he's not small) Would a S be able to be used in 1st grade (still pretty much just needs a folder and lunchbox inside)?

DS1 has a LLBean critter backpack and will be going on his 3rd year using it next fall in 2nd grade...

Could you order both and try them? DS1 was 45 inches last year (I think) for beginning K and the Study Haul (medium) was fine size wise. The Small Haul (small) can certainly fit a folder, a planet box, a size 4 hoodie and maybe a library book or two. It could not fit DS1's size 6 bibs and size 13 boots, for example, plus the lunch box and a folder and library books without major stuffing, tugging, and zipping, although there is at least one poster who was able to do so (O Mom?). A child would get frustrated.

ahisma
07-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Could you order both and try them? DS1 was 45 inches last year (I think) for beginning K and the Study Haul (medium) was fine size wise. The Small Haul (small) can certainly fit a folder, a planet box, a size 4 hoodie and maybe a library book or two. It could not fit DS1's size 6 bibs and size 13 boots, for example, plus the lunch box and a folder and library books without major stuffing, tugging, and zipping, although there is at least one poster who was able to do so (O Mom?). A child would get frustrated.

In your Small Haul example above, is the planet box in the carry bag, or solo? This is super helpful, thanks!

MamaKath
07-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I haven't had this problem. Years ago, one of my K students had a LLB backpack and the zipper did get caught. However in years since, never had another one with that issue. My own dc used critter packs with no issue. I now have (and use daily) an LLB Deluxe Backpack and have no issues with the flap. Somehow they seemed to have remedied the problem I experienced with my former student.

Kindra178
07-12-2012, 11:07 PM
In your Small Haul example above, is the planet box in the carry bag, or solo? This is super helpful, thanks!

Yes, a planetbox in the carry bag (I didn't put the funtainer in the bottle pocket, though, which takes up way more room).