PDA

View Full Version : 100pc Magna-Tiles for $104 shipped @ Lakeshore

sf333
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Lakeshore is offering free shipping right now when you spend $79+ with the code FREESHIP. In addition, they are offering 20% off several products - including Magna-Tiles. I just got them for $104 free shipped!

Mommy2Abby
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
That is a great deal! Magnatiles are the best!

wellyes
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Good price! If you've been waiting, jump now!

ourbabygirl
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm glad you wrote this- I got their catalog & coupon in the mail recently and was going to post, too, if they had Magnatiles. Glad to see they do and that seems to be a good price! :)

Magnatiles are seriously one of our family's favorite toys- my kids are 1 & 3, and all four of us play with them daily. :love5: them!

Avispa
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Question for those of you who have the magnatiles, do you think buying the starter set (32 pieces) is a good idea if we don't have any yet? The full set is not in the budget right now, should I wait for a good deal on the full set later on (when I have the money to buy it) or would the starter set be worth getting now for $39.96? My kids are 3 1/2 and 1 1/2, if that matters.

WatchingThemGrow
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Question for those of you who have the magnatiles, do you think buying the starter set (32 pieces) is a good idea if we don't have any yet? The full set is not in the budget right now, should I wait for a good deal on the full set later on (when I have the money to buy it) or would the starter set be worth getting now for $39.96? My kids are 3 1/2 and 1 1/2, if that matters.
I couldn't imagine having 2 kids share 32 tiles. We'd go without groceries to get the bigger set. Can grandparents "give" them for the next birthday?

We just got our 3rd set of 100 last week, from the local Learning Express for $119 + tax, then I ran back in with a coupon someone emailed me for 10% off. This is a better deal, but we HAD to have more, truly.

Avispa
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I couldn't imagine having 2 kids share 32 tiles. We'd go without groceries to get the bigger set. Can grandparents "give" them for the next birthday?

We just got our 3rd set of 100 last week, from the local Learning Express for $119 + tax, then I ran back in with a coupon someone emailed me for 10% off. This is a better deal, but we HAD to have more, truly.

Thank you for the input, this is very helpful. I'll see what the grandparents might be able to do :) thanks for the suggestion.

ourbabygirl
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
My kids are 1.5 & 3.5, too, and we have the 100 piece set (clear colors). Honestly, DD (the older one) uses most of the set herself- the small squares & some triangles- to build her castles & birdie houses and stuff. ;) And then if DH & I join in, there's almost not enough for all of us.
So I would definitely say to get the 100-piece set.

twowhat?
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
OK - so is there a general consensus on the Magnatiles love?? Anyone with kids who won't play with them (cuz I'm afraid that would end up being my girls)?

Jai
07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks! I was looking for a good deal on them. Now to find a good deal on a Quadrilla marble run...

♥ms.pacman♥
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
OK - so is there a general consensus on the Magnatiles love?? Anyone with kids who won't play with them (cuz I'm afraid that would end up being my girls)?

i was wondering about this too. i've heard such great things about magnatiles but never made the plunge. here's a recent thread on it

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=434961&highlight=magnatiles

ourbabygirl
07-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Well, my 1.5 yo DS & 3.5 yo DD love them, and so do DH and I. ;)
We got them in the fall/ winter of 2010, so DD was about 2, but she got more into them when she turned 2.5 or 3.
FWIW, she's not a super 'girly-girl'- isn't into dolls or wearing dresses every day or princesses. She does like princesses and dress-up, a little bit, but she loves Legos & coloring & trains & books. Our kids aren't into the unit blocks much, but do love the Magnatiles- building things & knocking them down, making different buildings & hiding stuff inside them (tiny animals, etc.).
They're so easy to use and I think it teaches them about colors and shapes, too. DD makes little houses using different combinations of colors & sets them in the window sill for the light to shine through, and it has a cool effect. She also learned about putting triangles together to make a square if she didn't have any little squares left, and about the different types of triangles (there are 3 types in the 100 piece set), and the new shapes you can make with them (pentagon or hexagon or whatever).
And they're not a chore to clean up at the end of the day because you can just magnetize & kind of click them all together.

I think they're great and recommend them to everyone we meet!

iaam
07-02-2012, 11:10 PM
We love them. I also agree with PPs that you do need the larger set.

Mommy2Abby
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Another vote for how great Magnatiles are. DD is 4 and has loved them since she was 2.5..... DH and I love them too.

DD can easily by herself use all 200 we have building her creations. I am not sure how much you can build with just 32, especially if shared among 2 kids. Definitely a great family/grandparent birthday/holiday gift. We had 100 for over a year and then DD got the second set for the holidays this year.

DD loves to build houses for her little figurines, so the clear ones are great since you can see the characters inside.

geochick
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Another vote for how great Magnatiles are. DD is 4 and has loved them since she was 2.5..... DH and I love them too.

My oldest is 8.5, and still builds stuff with them. I love Magnatiles!

twowhat?
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I guess you never know until you try, right? And I had been waffling over these for a long time. So I bit the bullet. Too bad I had to pay sales tax...but I guess I have to get used to that now (d@mn Amazon)!

urquie
07-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks op! We're in for another set. :)

roseyloxs
07-03-2012, 05:37 AM
I am in for two sets. FREESHIP code saved me over $35. Thanks OP!

We already have magformers which I prefer but since its impossible to find those for a decent price I guess we'll switch over to the magnatiles. DS will love these. Now I just have to decide if I want to hide them in the attic until Xmas or start letting them use 'em now.

happymom
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Can anyone with a 3-4 year old girl chime in here? I teach 3-4 yr olds actually, and I find it is mostly boys playing the magnatiles. I can't decide if I should get them for DD or not....she mostly plays with dolls/dollhouse etc. Her only building toy right now is megablox, and she plays with them maybe once a week- she used to play with them daily, but now dolls/pretend play have completely taken over! The logical side of me says not to get them, but I love this toy!

ExcitedMamma
07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you so much OP! I have been thinking if trying these out for DS and was waiting for a good price. I really hope these are a hit!

happymom
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Ok, I decided I'm going to get them. Didn't take long, LOL! Here's my question- will 100 be enough for DD and a playdate? I can't remember how many sets I have in my classroom- I'm guessing its two sets of 100... If I could afford it, I'd definitely just order 2 sets for DD from the get-go. But I can't justify spending that on a toy right now...so should I just go with the 100 or just I also get a set of 32 in addition?

Suebell
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I'd get 100 and get another 100 when you can. 100 is enough and 200 is perfect (for us). :-)

amdrees
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
For those of you wondering - the starter set will not be enough. We purchased the set from Learning Express and bought the 100 piece set within 2 weeks. They are worth the cost. My boys have played with them almost every day for 3 1/2 years. They are 8 1/2 and 5 now. Plus they are using their imagination/fine motor skills versus playing video games.

Mommy2Abby
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I'd get 100 and get another 100 when you can. 100 is enough and 200 is perfect (for us). :-)

:yeahthat:

DD (age 4) can easily by herself use all 200 we have building her creations, but 100 is good too. We had 100 for over a year and then DD got the second set for the holidays this year.

I would say you definitely need at least 100 for 1-2 kids to be able to make interesting structures.

Tinochka
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Our grandparents asked for ideas for a bithday, one of them on the list was magna tiles, but they decided to buy nick nacks, spent may be $90.... But I got magna tiles for $103.96 (Christmas gift for both boys). I rather buy one item, which will be used a lot, vs. lots of plastic....
Thank you!

jennilynn
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Is this the best price on these? I'd like to get some for DS1's birthday in November but would rather wait until closer to time if I can.

schrocat
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Thank you. I just ordered another set to go with the one that we have. DH is not going to be happy though.

Daphnecita
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks OP! I have been resisting these when the occasional good deal pops up here. But this time I decided to order. So $$$ for a building toy/blocks. I hope they like them.

chottumommy
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Is this the best price on these? I'd like to get some for DS1's birthday in November but would rather wait until closer to time if I can.

I bought 2 sets 2 weeks back with a coupon code for $96 but had to buy 2 sets since the coupon was for buy 1 at regular price and get 1 50% off. Not sure if that will come back. I gifted one to my nephew and bought one for my DCs.

KrisM
07-03-2012, 03:41 PM

I'm thinking of ordering a 3rd set too. My kids are 4, 6, and 8 and they still get played with often, and they fight over them. Should I get that 3rd one??

elbenn
07-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks, OP. I ordered a second set. I was charged tax, so it wasn't quite as good a deal, but I've been wanting to get a second set and the price is still better than elsewhere.

Mommaof3
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
My almost 2 year old son loves Magna Tiles, I have 2 sets from my girls and ordered another set for his bday. What other toys from Lakeshore would he like? Anyone else have favorites from there?

abh5e8
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
ooo...good idea. i guess i should start some christmas and bday gift list ideas.

sidmand
07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Can anyone with a 3-4 year old girl chime in here? I teach 3-4 yr olds actually, and I find it is mostly boys playing the magnatiles. I can't decide if I should get them for DD or not....she mostly plays with dolls/dollhouse etc. Her only building toy right now is megablox, and she plays with them maybe once a week- she used to play with them daily, but now dolls/pretend play have completely taken over! The logical side of me says not to get them, but I love this toy!

My DD (age 4) loves them but she does have an older brother who used them almost every day. She builds beds for her animals and babies. She loves dolls and stuffed animals and pretend play and uses the Magna-Tiles combined with those.

happymom
07-06-2012, 12:17 AM
My DD (age 4) loves them but she does have an older brother who used them almost every day. She builds beds for her animals and babies. She loves dolls and stuffed animals and pretend play and uses the Magna-Tiles combined with those.

I could see DD doing exactly this. Thanks.

ahisma
07-06-2012, 12:57 AM
DS is almost 4 - he has a (girl) friend the same age who loved his so much that her mom bought her a set too. They're well loved in both houses!

My DS's veer more towards the imaginative play, Magna Tiles work great for it.

Seitvonzu
07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
i have been resisting... i have been resisting....i have been resisting. why did someone how to use the words "imaginative play?" that's my child's bread and butter. i've been hesistant because she's already 4.5 and they are so expensive. and we have so many toys.

they are so beautiful. would this be a toy for her or me? (could i hold off until her december birthday? i just don't think i could)

sfmom
07-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks so much for posting! I don't know that I've been resisting. I know it's a very popular quality product that the is liked on the board, I was just looking like for a good opportunity to buy.

Thanks!!!:cheerleader1:

MamaMolly
07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Must...Resist!!!! DH would flip out. Such a bummer because I've been waiting for a deal. Sigh!

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Must...Resist!!!! DH would flip out. Such a bummer because I've been waiting for a deal. Sigh!

Why would he flip out? My DH asked for a third set for fathers day!

Pyrodjm
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I have seen kids play with these in preschool classroom. Really cool stuff. I waited for DH to come home before I bought it because I knew he would be shocked and confused about me spending so much on them since we have lots of toys. Surprisingly, he told me to go for it after seeing a few pics. We haven't bought any toys recently and don't plan to anytime soon. I love a deal and these are so great for learning so many skills.

jgenie
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Why would he flip out? My DH asked for a third set for fathers day!

:yeahthat: DH got a second set for his bday last year and I just bought our third set. Not sure when they'll get them but we play with them every day.

Beth24
07-07-2012, 11:46 AM
For anyone concerned about the longevity of these, I opened the box I ordered yesterday for my 2 YO DS and my 9 YO DD was more excited than I have seen her about any toy in a long time! She has been playing with them all morning!

twowhat?
07-07-2012, 12:42 PM
For anyone concerned about the longevity of these, I opened the box I ordered yesterday for my 2 YO DS and my 9 YO DD was more excited than I have seen her about any toy in a long time! She has been playing with them all morning!

The real test is when the novelty wears off...that's what I'm waiting on to figure out! Our girls played with their play kitchen, dollhouse, train set a lot for the first few days and now they just collect dust.

Maybe DH and I should count on the girls being occupied for a morning and try to get some work done around the house when we get ours:)

Beth24
07-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, $100 for a morning...could be worse, right? :)

wellyes
07-08-2012, 08:04 AM
We keep out set in a container store multipurpose bin, and I use it for travel a lot. It's a good any age - any gender toy that is easy to use and easy to clean up. (even for little hands).

In terms of longevity I do find it to be a 'rotation' toy.

ourbabygirl
07-08-2012, 08:32 AM
We use ours every day, often multiple times a day, and I ended up ordering another set of 100 to add to our first set of 100. :loveeyes: My kids are 1 & 3, and we all like them a lot, as do their (same age) cousins when they come over, and my friends' kids.
I'm seriously so glad we got them and think they're way more worth the money than any other toy we've gotten our kids! (Except maybe the FP Laugh & Learn House; that's gotten a ton of use, too.) :)

Seitvonzu
07-08-2012, 04:04 PM
i caved. i'm not even considering saving them for birthday/christmas because we really need something to make hexbug mazes with that doesn't get knocked down (even our unit blocks eventually get bested by persistent hexbugs!)

i think these will be awesome for when my neice and nephew are visiting at the end of the month!

oh- and as i'm checking out the website says "hey! why don' tyou visit our store in towson!" uh, i never knew there was one??? (it's at an exit different from traderjoes, so i never knew...) it's also one of THREE outlet locations in the WHOLE country.

oh boy! ;)

sewarsh
07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
i caved. i'm not even considering saving them for birthday/christmas because we really need something to make hexbug mazes with that doesn't get knocked down (even our unit blocks eventually get bested by persistent hexbugs!)

i think these will be awesome for when my neice and nephew are visiting at the end of the month!

oh- and as i'm checking out the website says "hey! why don' tyou visit our store in towson!" uh, i never knew there was one??? (it's at an exit different from traderjoes, so i never knew...) it's also one of THREE outlet locations in the WHOLE country.

oh boy! ;)

I love their store and they always have free crafts every Saturday.

sfmom
07-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Well, $100 for a morning...could be worse, right? :)

Ditto! Took the plunge. :boogie:

I've been waiting a while to buy these. I know there's a lot of love for these on this board.

Thanks for posting!!!

beth239
07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Thank you for posting. I just bought our second set :)

Seitvonzu
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
ugh...in for a penny-- today, mommy needed a little pick me up-- so we went to the store. SO FUN.

:)

Pyrodjm
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Anyone get theirs yet?

scmama
07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
We just got ours in the mail 2 days ago! Thank you all so much for recommending them! I had to pay for tax, but still.... so worth it. We just got one set and I think we HAVE to get another set asap! My kids who are 3.5 and 2 love it!!!

Tinochka
07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Anyone get theirs yet?

I just got it!

ourbabygirl
07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Mine should be coming by the end of the day! :boogie: I actually broke the news to DD a little while ago since I went outside to see if they were here yet... she's super excited (we already have a set; she's delighted to have more!).

twowhat?
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Anyone get theirs yet?

Got ours yesterday! I hid it away for a bday gift but I did open it to play a little:) Very cool toy - definitely see now how 100 pieces will go QUICKLY! If it's a hit, I could see wanting another set of 100.

ExcitedMamma
07-11-2012, 04:38 PM
For those with young kids did your DC love it right away? DS is frustrated with it because he wants doors to open (drives him crazy with Legos too) but if he tries to open a panel for a door the structure tends to collapse. He also adamantly objects to using it in conjunction with cars or figures as I've read other kids do. Does DS need to be older to really get into this?

mominct2004
07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you so much for the information. We got one set last week that my kids love so much I just ordered a second. The same pricing is still available with free ship.

Seitvonzu
07-22-2012, 04:14 PM
we LOVE ours. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. so much that i've taken to teasing my child with "DD, i think when gram and gramps come i'll send the magnatiles home with them" and she starts YELLING -- "NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!" :)

the day they came my kid played with them for 3 hours. no joke. and this was a day where we also went to dance class and blackberry picking (i.e., we weren't home all that much that day!)

they've also already caused a situation when a friend was over to play... because, you know, they are super cool :):)

i want to buy more, but dh would freak out a bit. maybe for christmas? ;)

groundhog74
07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Ours came, but I'm supposed to be "good" and save them for Christmas. Argh.

Pyrodjm
07-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Both of my girls love these. So does DH. He and DD2 (2yo) spent about an hour playing with these after I'd gone to sleep. DD1 has been using the magna-tiles to build houses, stages, rocket ships, etc. for their Little People toys. DD2 makes flat, interestingly shaped structures which judging from the sounds she has them making must be monsters.

MBAChick
07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Atfter reading how much eveyone's families like these I jumped in an ordered one set. Hope my DS will love them for his 2nd birthday!

lisa928
07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I keep thinking about these. Where do you kids use them? On the floor, on a table, anywhere? Do they need a big surface area? We have two vacations where my 3.5 year old twins girls will need to keep themselves busy for sometime and wondering if this would work. Just don't know where they would work. Maybe a dinner table on a cruise while waiting for dinner.

iaam
07-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I keep thinking about these. Where do you kids use them? On the floor, on a table, anywhere? Do they need a big surface area? We have two vacations where my 3.5 year old twins girls will need to keep themselves busy for sometime and wondering if this would work. Just don't know where they would work. Maybe a dinner table on a cruise while waiting for dinner.

We use them on the floor.

One thought around vacations - they are very heavy. So, if you are flying, that might be relevant.

Seitvonzu
07-24-2012, 07:05 PM
my daughter has been using them on our coffee table in the living room. we have carpet everywhere but the kitchens/bathrooms, so this is pretty much necessary

Pyrodjm
07-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Wherever they use legos will work. We are mostly on our carpeted living room floor and coffee table.

jgenie
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM

We use them exclusively on our carpeted living room floor.