PDA

View Full Version : Goosebumps

lalasmama
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
DD's 8.5yo. Relatively sensitive about things, tends to get "wrapped up" in ideas as she works through something. Of note, we're a pretty conservative Christian family, and don't celebrate halloween, don't talk/play about ghosts or ghost stories, etc.

Her babysitter's son has a ton of Goosebumps books, and has offered them up for DD to read over the summer.

Can anyone give me the basics about the books?

lizzywednesday
07-03-2012, 08:51 AM
They're R.L. Stine's horror series for the grades 3-5 set. They're mostly harmless, however several of them are VERY VERY scary, IMO. Themes are general - monsters, ghosts, zombies, vampires, etc. - and I don't think quite in tune with your values as you've described them before.

Having read some of them myself, albeit a long time ago, with a sensitive temperament, I would tell your sitter "thanks, but no thanks."

FTR, the one that scared me the most wasNight of the Living Dummy and its sequels. (My brother Ger was into collecting them when he was a kid. We had a fairly large number of them. I don't think he ever read them, just collected them because the other kids in his class alleged that they'd read them. After I read a few, I don't know what their parents were thinking! And I like spooky stories!!)

If you're looking for something for your DD to read over the summer, maybe try another series - Anne of Green Gables might be a fun Mama-Lala read together novel for you guys. I was about 8 or 9 when I first read it myself, after having seen the CBC/PBS miniseries that starred Meagan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst.

hellbennt
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
ds is 9 & we're reading the Little House on the Prairie series...
not that you were looking for other books to read:bag

but, in case you are: The Happy Hollisters! I've 'collected' them all and ds1 has read them all - he started last summer, age 8

stillplayswithbarbies
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I would say no thanks to Goosebumps. My son had many of them when he was younger but I have not let my 9 year old daughter read them yet. Way too scary for her.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
but, in case you are: The Happy Hollisters! I've 'collected' them all and ds1 has read them all - he started last summer, age 8

I loved these books as a kid. I have all of mine, and recently bought one on eBay that I didn't have.

Time to get them out for my 9 year old to read. :)