PDA

View Full Version : Do you have one wardrobe neutral?

crl
07-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Do you stick (at least mostly) to one or two neutrals? If so, what is yours? I have lots of black and some gray. I decided long go that it was easier to go with one neutral so all my shoes and handbags and such would go with my whole wardrobe. And I chose black because it is so easy to find in shoes especially. Every now and then though I think I should have gone with or should switch to navy, because it does look better on me.

So, I am curious, what do you do?

Catherine

ellies mom
07-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Mine has always been black but for the last couple of years I've been working grey into the mix. Partly because it looks good on me and partly because it easier to find and match (not all navy or tans are the same).

bisous
07-03-2012, 01:21 AM
I do black for everything. Slimming, cosmopolitan, gotta love black. Navy is hot right now too but I'll always love black!

baymom
07-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Mine used to be black and in the past 3-4 years, I've been working on slowly converting to chocolate brown. I think black looks a bit harsh on me...maybe it always did and I didn't notice or it's just as I've gotten older...

citymama
07-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Black and dark blue these days, although it used to be black and brown. I've been buying a LOT of blue lately, not really planned but it's turned out that way.

94bruin
07-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Mine has always been black but for the last couple of years I've been working grey into the mix. Partly because it looks good on me and partly because it easier to find and match (not all navy or tans are the same).

:yeahthat:

kozachka
07-03-2012, 05:08 AM
I think of black and grey as one color family in my wardrobe and brown and beige as another one. Most of my dresses, skirts and pants are from the first category though. I find blue/navy more difficult difficult to match, I have several pieces in this color but they don't fit quite right at the moment, they are either too small or too big. I do have a fair number of shirts in light blue or variation thereof. They go well with black, grey and blue/navy bottoms.

If I had to pick just two neutral colors, I'd stick with grey and black as you can wear the same shoes and purses with both.

fivi2
07-03-2012, 07:20 AM
I think of black and grey as one color family in my wardrobe and brown and beige as another one. Most of my dresses, skirts and pants are from the first category though. I find blue/navy more difficult difficult to match, I have several pieces in this color but they don't fit quite right at the moment, they are either too small or too big. I do have a fair number of shirts in light blue or variation thereof. They go well with black, grey and blue/navy bottoms.

If I had to pick just two neutral colors, I'd stick with grey and black as you can wear the same shoes and purses with both.

This. I have mostly black and grey. Some dark brown or khaki. (and a lot of blue shirts!).

I like navy, but... what color shoes do you wear with navy pants/skirts?

TwinFoxes
07-03-2012, 07:38 AM
I have both black/gray and chocolate brown/cream.

For shoes with navy: dark red, dark brown, cream, gray, and even black (if it looks intentional) work. I think lots of colors go with navy.

lizzywednesday
07-03-2012, 08:39 AM
My neutral is chocolate brown with an occasional sprinkle of navy. (I despise navy - 9 years' worth of a foul navy blue-based plaid jumper/skirt and knee socks for grammar school kind of turned me on navy.)

I look absolutely terrible in black (seriously; I must be the only woman on the face of the planet who has to scramble when she needs a black dress!) and if I wear gray, it has to be exactly the right shade/tone or I look weird.

I have more brown shoes than black ones, but I've also got silver, navy, rose-gold and purple shoes to rotate with my wardrobe.

hillview
07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
I had always done black. for ever. Last year I added navy with nude shoes and love the addition. i still pack for work trips using ONE neutral vs 2. easier.

arivecchi
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
About 75% of my wardrobe consists of neutrals. Black, gray, brown, cream, white. Easiest way to look stylish and pulled together IMO.

boolady
07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
About 75% of my wardrobe consists of neutrals. Black, gray, brown, cream, white. Easiest way to look stylish and pulled together IMO.

Mine, too. When I do want a pop of color for more casual things, I've got every neutral that could possibly go with a colored top. For work, I wear almost exclusively neutrals [said as I sit at my desk in black slacks, a cream and black striped top, and black heels].

crl
07-03-2012, 10:07 AM

The matching difficulty is one reason I went with black.

Mine used to be black and in the past 3-4 years, I've been working on slowly converting to chocolate brown. I think black looks a bit harsh on me...maybe it always did and I didn't notice or it's just as I've gotten older...

See, that's kind of what I think about black too. Navy is more flattering on me that brown for the most part. Really rich dark browns look good on me, but the rest of the browns really don't. And brown is as hard to match as navy. . . .

I had always done black. for ever. Last year I added navy with nude shoes and love the addition. i still pack for work trips using ONE neutral vs 2. easier.

Ah, I wondered about doing two neutrals. Nude shoes is an interesting idea because you could wear them with both black and navy. I guess gray shoes (or red) could work that way too.

So you have more than one wardrobe neutral. What do you do about shoes and handbags? Do you both brown and black of everything and switch?

Thanks,
Catherine

crl
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Mine, too. When I do want a pop of color for more casual things, I've got every neutral that could possibly go with a colored top. For work, I wear almost exclusively neutrals [said as I sit at my desk in black slacks, a cream and black striped top, and black heels].

We cross-posted. So what do you do another shoes and handbags?

Catherine

boolady
07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
We cross-posted. So what do you do another shoes and handbags?

Catherine

I have black shoes, brown shoes, camel shoes, and taupe in various summer and winter styles. That's enough to get me through pretty much any outfit I could put together for work. I don't get nuts about handbags, but I do have a camel one that I carry most of the time because I think it goes just fine with whichever neutral I'm wearing. I also have a few pairs of colored suede heels for wintertime-- a medium gray and a burgundy color, and I love them both. I also have a chocolate brown purse, a black purse, and a burnt orange one that looks good with most neutrals.

I'm in the burbs, so while that may not be how our high fashion city gals do it, it works for me.

arivecchi
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Th

So you have more than one wardrobe neutral. What do you do about shoes and handbags? Do you both brown and black of everything and switch?

Thanks,
Catherine Yes. I have black, grey, tan and camel colored bags. So still the same palette. Same with shoes. Lots of neutrals, but I do have some colorful shoes and bags for summer (yellow and red come to mind).

I should take a pic of my closet. It looks boring but makes it so easy to dress in the mornings.

Most of my colorful clothes are for summer. During the winter/fall, I add color with scarves.

goldenpig
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM

LOL I think I am the opposite of Arivecchi--75% of my wardrobe is color. Red is my neutral! Although I wear black, white, grey, cream, cognac, chocolate brown, and navy, I don't feel like myself unless I have some color and/or pattern in my outfit. Wearing all solid neutrals feels boring to me (although it looks great on A & others!).

A & I posted pics of our closets in this thread (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=434271), although it looks like she took her pic down. Hers looked so elegant and soothing in all neutrals and mine is crazy & colorful in comparison.

hillview
07-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Nude shoes are what my personal shopper at Nordies suggested and they are awesome!

TwinFoxes
07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't feel like myself unless I have some color and/or pattern in my outfit.

Same here. I use the neutrals as a base. Khaki shorts, turquoise shirt, and pink & beige sandals today. :) But I also think since I'm African-American, I can wear a lot of colors, only a few wash me out.

pastrygirl
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I find neutral shoes and handbags...boring. If my outfit is neutral, I like green or red shoes and handbags, or something else bright! If my outfit is bright or heavily patterned, then I wear black or nude shoes.

I avoid matching my shoes to my handbag (or my belt if I'm wearing one).

DrSally
07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I want some nude shoes! Pumps, but they have to be 2" and wide. Have yet to find them. I feel like nude pumps could be worn with anything. Otherwise, I have a lot of black and gray, white and cream. In the summer, I have a lily bloom purse, with multicolored dots, which is bright, cheerful, and goes with everything. I would love to get some brown leather boots, as I feel they go with dresses and jeans and brown is a little more "dressed down".

MontrealMum
07-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I have both black/gray and chocolate brown/cream.

For shoes with navy: dark red, dark brown, cream, gray, and even black (if it looks intentional) work. I think lots of colors go with navy.

I don't feel like myself unless I have some color and/or pattern in my outfit. Wearing all solid neutrals feels boring to me

I agree with both posts above, although my favorite neturals are in the chocolate brown/camel/beige/cream family. Black isn't super flattering on me and I'm also scarred from navy pants as Catholic school uniform.

If I'm wearing a predominently neutral outfit, I'll usually do bright shoes and bag, possibly coat as well. And if I'm wearing a colorful outfit, I'll pair it with more neutral accessories. I have neutral bags in: black, camel, beige, black/cream, grey, and chocolate brown. My "fun" bags are: eggplant, fuchsia, red, kelly green, turquoise and two very bright stripey bags.

I'm in the process of totally redoing my wardrobe to go back to work so I'm going to be working with a lot of new pieces, but previously I liked wearing things like burgundy shoes or carrying a kelly green bag with my navy suit (not both at the same time!)

My favorite neutral as an accessory, however, is anything metallic. Both neutral AND fun!