PDA

View Full Version : How to explain death of grandparent to a 2.5 year old?

hoodlims
07-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Earlier this year (right after I had my DS), my mother was diagnosed with a pretty aggressive stomach cancer. Long story short, it is now 7 months later and she doesn't have much time left. I am her only child, so my kids are her only grandchildren. I am planning on moving the kiddos and myself in with my parents so we can all be together these last few months. DH will be working and living 1.5 hours away (we can go back and forth, he can visit, etc).

I want my mom to be able to spend as much time with her grandkids as possible, but I don't know how to explain death to my bright toddler. I am also not sure about how I feel with her being around during all of this and possibly upsetting her. I just know I will feel guilty if I don't spend whatever time I can with my parents...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

klwa
07-03-2012, 06:47 AM
My mom passed away when DS was about 2 1/2, very unexpectedly. I don't know that I did a great job explaining at the time, and we still talk about it now (4+ years later). However, I was given this book http://www.amazon.com/dp/0931674328/ref=asc_df_09316743282080491?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=0931674328&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2047504246504059202&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= to help. I still have trouble making it through without crying. And it obviously gets into (somewhat) the idea of an afterlife, but without introducing any specific religious concepts. (We're Christian, and have explained it through those terms. While this didn't use the specific terms, it fit into the theology, if that makes sense.)

And, *hugs* to you. It's not an easy thing to deal with the loss of a parent.

MamaMolly
07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Are you religious? When Lula was a baby my stepfather passed away. We have photos of him in the house and my mom talks about Pop-Pop a lot when she visits. We told Lula that he died and went to be with God. Now that she's a little older and has started to ask more we have clarified that his spirit, the part that makes Pop-pop who he is and special, went to heaven to be with God and his body is buried because it was so sick it didn't work any more and he didn't need it in heaven.

I'm so sorry that you are facing the loss of your mom. Lots of love and support as you go forward in this.