PDA

View Full Version : Infant in a BJCM - how does this work?

amldaley
07-03-2012, 08:43 AM
DD2 is 4 months now. I would love to let her ride reclined in the BJCM but I tried it and it is just too big! Straps are too big, back is way too hard. She just seems to swim in it.

Am I trying to early? Do I need to move the straps down? (When I bought it DD1 was already a toddler).

Help and/or advice, please!

Or maybe I need a different stroller because I really want a rear facing ride for her as an infant but I am loathe to give up the ease of use of the BJCM - I love the fold and the steering!

Melaine
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
We tried it with DS at like 2 weeks and it was laughable (he was like 6 lbs)! So we used a cheap snap 'n go for awhile. But he is about 10 weeks now (11 and a half lbs) and it works great. The straps still look a little silly on the lowest setting, but it is safe and he seems very comfy. I can take a pic later....I'm loving the stroller! Just wish the basket was bigger (2011 version)

Definitely move the straps down!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Hmm, We got our BJCM when DS was 4 mos, and we never had a problem w/ him being too small in it. We had the 2010 though (back wasn't as stiff). The straps were a little annoying to adjust but that was it....(i think what helped is we adjusted crotch strap to be shortest possible)

I found a pic of 4mo DS in BJCM if it helps. I don't think we reclined it (DS hated reclining). the straps covers are right by his ears (lol)
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4024/4639118058_605aae327f.jpg

eta- i found another pic, ds same age. definitely had to make crotch strap all the way small to keep him from falling through.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4013/4637874436_4c222e91b9_z.jpg

psimpson3-5
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Try purchasing a snuzzler and place that in the stroller. That's how I have used the stroller. http://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-Snuzzler-Complete-Support-Ivory/dp/B000DZS720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341331671&sr=8-1&keywords=snuzzler

crl
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I used a snuzzler in our Mountain Buggy Swift with dd for the first few months.

Catherine

Multimama
07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
The BJCM is actually rated for 6 months and up and IMO that's because the harness is huge. I use it for my 4 month old occasionally, but even when you move the straps to their lowest position they still come out by his ears or higher. He seems to like it though, gives him something to chew on. :)

I agree you could try a snuzzler. Or get a reversible! I've been waiting for the Versa because I want the fold, but I don't think it's ever going to come out!!

Philly Mom
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I always thought the BJCM was rated from birth and it has a full recline. I started using mine at 8 weeks. It looked huge but she was fine in there. (Even at 8 months, the straps had the appearance of being huge and she is an average size kid.) It was warm so I did not bother using the snuzzler, but if I had been concerned I would have. I know many people who have used it since birth, and most just used the snuzzler.

Multimama
07-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I always thought the BJCM was rated from birth and it has a full recline. I started using mine at 8 weeks. It looked huge but she was fine in there. (Even at 8 months, the straps had the appearance of being huge and she is an average size kid.) It was warm so I did not bother using the snuzzler, but if I had been concerned I would have. I know many people who have used it since birth, and most just used the snuzzler.

Yeah, I was really surprised that it's actually rated from 6 months and up since it's often recommended for use from birth on this board. I didn't realize it wasn't rated from birth until I watched a review comparing it to the Britax B-Agile that pointed out that the B-Agile *is* rated for use from birth, unlike the BJCM.

Philly Mom
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I was really surprised that it's actually rated from 6 months and up since it's often recommended for use from birth on this board. I didn't realize it wasn't rated from birth until I watched a review comparing it to the Britax B-Agile that pointed out that the B-Agile *is* rated for use from birth, unlike the BJCM.

I just went on their website because at baby stores I was told it was rated for infants. On the website, it says from birth as well.

Multimama
07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I just went on their website because at baby stores I was told it was rated for infants. On the website, it says from birth as well.

Hmm. You're right. Perhaps this is something they have changed recently? Here's the quote from their website:

"If you do not wish to use a car seat adaptor or a Compact Pram, the City Mini, City Mini GT and City Elite strollers have an increased recline angle to a near flat position to accommodate newborns. That means you can safely lay a baby in the fully reclined seat of these strollers without the use of a car seat adaptor or bassinet."

No comment on how to get the harness to fit though!

OP, if your baby is small you could consider getting one of their prams and then you'd have the reversible option without buying a new stroller. Not sure how long it would last though.

ETA: Here's the video where they said BJCM was good for 6 months and up. Sometime around 5:17. At the time I watched the video I couldn't find any info that said otherwise so I'm really wondering if it used to be rated for 6 months and up and they changed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086tXr29JSA

k_null81
07-03-2012, 11:01 PM
We used our BJCED with snuzzlers pretty much from day one with our twins. Worked well for us and I loved that stroller!

Multimama
07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
We used our BJCED with snuzzlers pretty much from day one with our twins. Worked well for us and I loved that stroller!

Just in case anyone was wondering I am pretty sure the BJCE/D has a deeper recline than the BJCM. I don't have a BJCE anymore, but the recline was very close to a true flat recline. It was one of the flattest, if not the flattest, reclines I've measured. I haven't measured the BJCM recline, but I don't think it is as flat (although I still think it is fine).

amldaley
07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
I totally remember it being a "from 6 months" stroller that everyone said was fine from birth despite the rating. Maybe it was a difference between 2010 and newer?

Will try the snuzzler only b/c I can not afford the pram nor a new ride at this point...plus, it is fun to say, "snuzzler".

Snuzzler.

Thanks, everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaylee31
07-04-2012, 01:18 AM
ETA: Here's the video where they said BJCM was good for 6 months and up. Sometime around 5:17. At the time I watched the video I couldn't find any info that said otherwise so I'm really wondering if it used to be rated for 6 months and up and they changed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086tXr29JSA

I like the StrollerGuru videos, but I think she was misinformed. I've noticed she's made small mistakes about strollers in other videos too. Her videos are good & informative though. I like side-by-side comparisons, and she does a lot of of those.

Multimama
07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I like the StrollerGuru videos, but I think she was misinformed. I've noticed she's made small mistakes about strollers in other videos too. Her videos are good & informative though. I like side-by-side comparisons, and she does a lot of of those.

But the thing is at the time I thought her comment was strange and I went looking for confirmation one way or another and everything I found confirmed 6 months and up. The info about the lay-flat recline on the BJ website has clearly recently been rewritten because the Compact Pram is a recent addition to the line-up. So I still contend it used to be rated 6 months and up. I was even going to start a thread about it back in the day! But I guess now we'll never know.

Anyway, Amidaley, I hope the snuzzler works for you. :) I love the stroller even if the harness is a little awkward.

WatchingThemGrow
07-04-2012, 09:25 AM
What in the world? Where does it say 6 mos and up? It has always been from birth. It has always had a nearly flat recline, same recline as the BJCED - and we've used both with newborns. Sure, the harness isn't carseat tight, but as far as I can tell, it isn't supposed to be. We have always reclined it, tightened the straps as small as they'll go (rehook the top hooks) and ride gently, just as you would with a newborn in any stroller. A snuzzler on the cotton/not fluffy side can help a tiny baby from wiggling around, but we didn't really need it with DS2.

A-M, do you feel like your DD2 is just at that stage of looking big enough to be sitting up, but not really able to support herself - that slumpy stage?

ETA: BJ chart showing birth and beyond - fine for newborns http://www.babyjogger.com/PDFs/Comparison_chart.pdf

theriviera
07-04-2012, 09:41 AM
My 2010 bjcm does not have a near flat recline. Its deep but there is definitely still an angle.

Op, I agree with the suggestions to try a snuzzler.

Multimama
07-04-2012, 11:08 AM
My 2010 bjcm does not have a near flat recline. Its deep but there is definitely still an angle.

:yeahthat: Neither does my 2011. It's fine, but it's not as deep as my BJCE was.

Okay, this is from a nice Amazon review of the BJCM dated September 2011: "The stroller is not intended for children under 6 months old without purchasing and using either the bassinet or car seat accessories, but I actually put my son in it anyhow. I won't downgrade it's [sic] rating for not fitting him properly because it's not intended for his age..."

It makes complete sense to me that it was originally rated for 6 months and up. The lowest harness position is way too high for a stroller intended to be used from birth. I think they changed the rating recently in either the 2011 or 2012 model years maybe because they added the extra PE board(s) (creating a firmer back which is safer for newborns??) or maybe just to eliminate that difference from the B-Agile. (2011 has a PE board in the back and apparently 2012 has one in the seat bottom as well.) Of course we often ignore these ratings. After all I think the Britax Blink has a great recline and would feel comfortable using it for a newborn, but it is rated for 6 months and up.

PRmommy
07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I always thought that BJ strollers were suitable from birth. I know my mini is and it's from 2009. :shrug:

I also take all reviews with a grain of salt and wouldn't solely rely on just online videos or reviews - retailers can be misinformed (happens often - think about some of the crazy stories we've been told from sales reps or how much better informed most ppl on these blogs are than the sales staff or the video can be made by a regular customer that purchased the product and put up a video.) I rather go straight to the manufacturer.

Multimama
07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I always thought that BJ strollers were suitable from birth. I know my mini is and it's from 2009. :shrug:

How did you find out? Does it say in the manual?

PRmommy
07-05-2012, 10:44 PM
We put our newborn in it at the time and I seem to recall doing so b/c I read it was safe to do so. The lack of the board in the back actually acted more like a sling to keep DS cozy and cocooned (along with the blankets we used as well).