PDA

View Full Version : Update in #33: The Logistics of Flying with Kids and Babies?

amldaley
07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Ok, thanks to much encouragement from you all, I am going HOME!

Can you now help me with the logistics of air travel?

I understand from the other thread that it might be a good idea to check both carseats - and I am cool with that - heck - the less I have to lug around, the better.

DD1 will have her 4th birthday while we are there. I just want to be totally sure that it is safe for her to fly with only a lap belt?

How do I check the car seats? Do I need to get carrier bags for them so they don't get dirty, torn, etc? DD1 is about out of her Blvd and I am planning to get a highback booster for her soon - should I get it before or after the trip? Which would be easier to install with a seatbelt? (I have never done a belt install before).

DD2 will be lap held and I plan on just wearing her in the Beco Butterfly II the whole time. Any reason not to? Is there a carrier anyone thinks might be better? (I have a Connecta I think I could dig out). I am a SSC gal, can't do a wrap.

I plan to nurse DD2 in flight (so the Connecta might be easier to get her in and out of as it is far more simple than the Beco). (And nursing with nipple sheilds and no pillow for support will be interesting but I think I will only have to nurse her once, maybe twice en route and then again at the airport at the other end before I catch the shuttle).

Now, as for strollers....we have a BJCM which I plan on taking and thought I would gate check it so we have access to it for the super tight layover (36 minutes...in Detroit). Thoughts?

What to take on the plane?

My plan is: Leappad, a neck pillow, a stuffed animal, and a sticker book for DD1 plus snacks.
Diaper necessities for DD2 and one small toy that she LOVES.

Any changes or additions?

Have I mentioned I am ridiculously excited to be going home?????????????????????

indigo99
07-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Yay for the trip! I'd love to be going somewhere, anywhere, about now. Traveling will be a pain but hopefully not too much of one.

Personally, I would be weary of checking any nice carseats or strollers. We took our crappiest stroller (graco that I got at a yardsale) when we went to Europe. Even though we gate checked and had it in a bag, it was still pretty beat up afterward. I've heard of people having nice strollers destroyed because they just throw them around when packing the plane, and it may end up underneath lots of heavy things. I've also seen luggage go flying off of the driven luggage vehicles at the airport and then get thrown back in so... if you wouldn't be comfortable having your carseats dropped from a moving vehicle or having them slammed around on conveyor belts with big heavy suitcases then you might want to reconsider that part of the plan.

AnnieW625
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Do not check your infant seat if you are using one. I'll explain in a second.

I would buy a snap n go stroller (cheap, baby resale store, CL, etc.) if you are still using an infant carseat (if you don't already have one). IMHO I would use that around the airport and check the BJCM at the ticket counter or spend around $50 and ship it directly to your mom's house so you don't have to deal with two strollers at the airport. Gate check the stroller. Spend the $50 to send it home again as well, it is cheaper than buying a new stroller if it gets damaged. We have had good luck with our strollers not getting damaged, but if I were traveling alone this is what I would do.

Now for the reason I think you should bring the infant seat. When you get to the gate go and ask the gate agent if there are any open seats. If so then try and get one for DD2. This truly does work. WCS it doesn't work then you gate check the infant seat with the snap n go. I think it is invaluable to have a seat for DD2, ESP. at 4 months, but the trick is to not have to pay for one;) (even if you only get one for one leg of your trip).

DD1 will be fine at almost 4 without her car seat IMHO. I think airline seat with lap belt for kids older than 3 is fine, so does my FIL who worked for the FAA in flight safety for 20 yrs. of his career.

I think your list for the kids sounds great.

The only thing I might change is the time of the second flight, I don't 36 minutes is enough time for a layover ESP. with 2 kids, a potential bathroom break, and the potentially having to rush to another gate. I would want at least an hour just to be safe.

Good luck, and it isn't really that hard.:)

SnuggleBuggles
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Unlike pp, I've never had any issues checking cars eats or strollers. So, personally I wouldn't incur more expenses to have cheap travel versions (even cheap isn't free :)) and just roll the dice. I'm sure my perspective would be different if I'd had trouble.

I used to wear ds1 in a Bjorn during flights with no trouble. Some have said that flight attendants don't allow that, at least during take off and landing. If they do, it sure made things easier (though not as easy as having a car seat).

You can rent a DVD player, movies and headphones at some airports and return at ggd arriving airport (in Motion is one company). So handy and your 4yo would like it.

Extra snacks and changes of clothes (at least undies and a t) in case of turbulence, spills, diaper leaks, layovers..

crl
07-03-2012, 09:45 AM
I have never had a stroller damaged, including my Micralite Fastfold Superlite, which is not particularly sturdy. It definitely happens but for me it is well worth the risk to have my good stroller at the ther end of the trip.

If your 4 year old is legal in a high back booster and grandma is picking you up at the airport, I'd be inclined to buy and ship a high back booster directly to her. Nothing to install really so it will be easy on the other end.

Then if you have the cars eat adapter for the BJCM, I would probably use it as a travel system through the airport (I usually avoid extra infant car seat time like the plague, but you gotta get through the airport) and gate check both pieces. This avoids some of the baggage handling for the car seat and lets you keep in until the gate on the off chance you have an empty seat and can actually use the car seat (I would ask at the gate if there are any empty seats and if so if you can have one to use your car seat in).

Just FYI, you may or may not be allowed to wear the baby through security. I usually have been (though the last two times they pulled me aside and did some test on my hands--since it happened twice in a row I assume it had to do with the carrier), but not always. You almost certainly will not be allowed to wear the baby during take off and landing. That's FAA rules as far as I know.

If you have an iPhone or any other tv/movie options for the 4 year old, I would take that along.

Wiki sticks are another in-flight entertainment possibility.

Take twice as many snacks as you think the 4 year old can possibly eat. Package them individually.

Have a great time!
Catherine

theriviera
07-03-2012, 09:57 AM
We just flew with a 3 and 1 year old. I did have DH but will be flying home solo.

- We are at my parents so we bought seats from Amazon and sent them ahead of time (Evenflo Maestro and Tribute). It was SO nice not dealing with the carseats at the airport.
- We had 3 seats for the 4 of us. There was actually a lot of space. DD1 did great sitting still during take off and landing. The flight was very smooth so the did not turn the seatbelt sign on.
-For the baby, you may want to bring a pillow or a nursing pillow. When I traveled with my girls at that age it was nice to have. Of course, I either had just 1 kid or another adult, so it may be a pain.
-You can bring the infant seat to the gate and check (and it's a place for your DD2 to ride) but the chances of getting an extra seat are very, very low. airlines have gotten great at managing demand. however, gate checking it is super easy so if you can handle it through the airport, this is a good option.
-is your DH able to take you to the airport? i've had luck getting a pass for my DH to go through security with me. That is super helpful.
-the bjcm is awesome to travel with solo, because of the one handed fold.
- bring snacks - lots of snacks. and snacks that dd1 may not get at home. my kids eat way more than i expect on flights. the fruit leather from trader joe's was a big hit with my 3 year old on our last flight.

good luck!! it's not the most pleasant experience in the world but it's not bad and it's time bound. i always remind myself of that.

mom2binsd
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised you were allowed to book a 36 minute connection, seeing as you're supposed to be at the gate 30 minutes prior, I thought 45 min was the "legal" time frame...can you call and find out if the connections are going to be closeby??? I don't want to alarm you but honestly it's pretty tight esp with kids.

amldaley
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
It's $300 to change the flights now...both flights are on the same airline, so I have to think the gates are relatively close. 36 minutes is not ideal, but I don't have $300 to change it now, either.

crl
07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
It's $300 to change the flights now...both flights are on the same airline, so I have to think the gates are relatively close. 36 minutes is not ideal, but I don't have $300 to change it now, either.

I have been on flights where the flight attendants made an announcement that there were passengers with a tight connection who needed to get off first. You might mention to the gate personnel and the flight attendants that you have a very tight connection and would appreciate anything they can do to help you make it (ie, seats near the front, let you deplane first, etc.). I might reconsider gate checking anything because you will have to wait for them to bring it up before you can dash for that next flight. Not sure what I would do as far as gate checking goes. I'd have to think about it.

Catherine

amldaley
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Fiddle sticks...just found this..
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=33026536

and we are going from a little baby planelette to a 737....

I will see about buyng a CL stroller there or checking it...still can't afford the $300 cange fee but I might call and ask...or try to get to the airport for the earlier flight and see if they will just change us. And will definitely talk to the FA's!

maestramommy
07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
It sounds like you have the logistics figured out already :). My kids are small but at 4 they were big enough to sit with just the lap belt. Laurel, OTOH, may need a carseat for years to come:p, which is why we aren't flying again for a while.

I've done the lap infant with a carrier and it's fine. I've kept them in the carrier during takeoff and landing, and in between, and no one ever says anything.

Depending on your personality, you may find the trip quite stressful (we usually do), but as one mom (former flight attendant) told me, "it's gonna suck, just tell yourself it's gonna suck no matter what you do, but you'll get there, and it'll be over." :tongue5: Then if it doesn't you can be pleasantly surprised, ha!

Congrats on your trip! Hope it's a blast!

jam224
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
You almost certainly will not be allowed to wear the baby during take off and landing.

Back in January, I was always able to nurse my 9-month-old during take off without any problems. I did that to avoid her ears from popping. Getting a window seat was very nice for privacy. If you aren't assigned a window seat, just tell them at the gate that you're a nursing mother and would like one. They always seem willing to accommodate.

sntm
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I was able to use my fleece KKAFP pouch folded up as a nursing pillow.

BabyBearsMom
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Just flew with my girls. I bought them both seats (ages 2yo and 2mo). We checked DD1's carseat and I bought it a cheap travel bag at BRU. DD2 rode in her KF30. We used a CaRES harness that we borrowed from a friend for Dd1 and it was awesome.

I gave DD1 lollipops for take off and landing and juice in a sippy cup which helped with her ears. dD2 slept for take off with a paci and I nursed her on the way down. I just wore my cover up and braced my foot on the seat in front of me to support DD2.

A few things we found helpful:
I checked all our luggage and DD1's carseat with the sky hop people. Not lugging all that stuff through the airport was totally worth the tip.
I brought my double stroller and gate checked it. It was a ton of help having both girls strapped down. I got a cheap gate check bag at BRU for it.
Have something non electronic for your kids to do during take off and landing when all electronic devices had to be off. DD1 watched a movie on the iPad on the flight but had a sticker book for those periods when electronics weren't allowed.

flashy09
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Do not check your infant seat if you are using one. I'll explain in a second.

Now for the reason I think you should bring the infant seat. When you get to the gate go and ask the gate agent if there are any open seats. If so then try and get one for DD2. This truly does work. WCS it doesn't work then you gate check the infant seat with the snap n go. I think it is invaluable to have a seat for DD2, ESP. at 4 months, but the trick is to not have to pay for one;) (even if you only get one for one leg of your trip).

I have gotten lucky 6 of the 8 times I have flown with my baby with getting an empty seat and taking her car seat on board. My baby sleeps the whole flight when in the car seat and is safe during turbulence. I would definitely take the baby car seat to the gate and give it a try and if the plane is full, just gate check the seat.

rin
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I have gotten lucky 6 of the 8 times I have flown with my baby with getting an empty seat and taking her car seat on board. My baby sleeps the whole flight when in the car seat and is safe during turbulence. I would definitely take the baby car seat to the gate and give it a try and if the plane is full, just gate check the seat.

This is totally something that varies by kid; my older daughter hate-hate-hated her infant carseat, and I always ended up holding her on flights. For her, so not worth lugging the carseat on board (although of course it's always nice to have extra space, but I preferred having the regular seat to use as a diaper-changing spot). Ultimately, I think it just depends on the kid as to whether it's worthwhile, or just a pain in the butt.

mariza
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
AM ask for a "meet and assist" at you connection flight. There will be a skycap waiting at you first arrival to help you get to you connection. Tip them $5 and it will be the best money you ever spend. Also, check out my friend's travel blog you might find some good tips (she's a flight attendant) http://www.theflyingpinto.com/category/travel-with-kids

Kindra178
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I have flown a lot with my guys, including with three month old twins, a newly pregnant sister (with a carrying restriction) and a two year old (no dh). In our case, I did use the double snap no go because there were two babies. I would not have though if there weren't two of them. To get through security, I ergo'd one and carried the other.

Because you will want your double stroller on vacation, definitely check your double stroller at the gate. I have checked everything from a double Citi Mini to a double Bob Rev without incident and without damage. I also think you should ditch the infant carseat/convertible at curbside check in. The curbside check in people will put them in plastic bags and they will be fine for the trip. It's totally not worth carrying it and makes getting on and off the plane desperately cumbersome. You will be much more mobile with baby in sling, backpack on and three year old.

Pack a backpack for you to carry with a dvd player, candy, snacks, diapers and a change of shirt for you and baby. Lollipops and fruit snacks seem to make flying very enjoyable for my kids. Have your dd carry her own backpack with change of clothes, coloring books, snacks, crayons, empty water bottle and fav toys. If she doesn't have a backpack, this will be a good time to buy one (maybe even one with a lunch box that attaches on the outside). Once you passed security, buy water and fill her bottle. If you are flying during meal time, pack sandwiches for you and dd. Eating a meal during a trip is a great way to pass the time.

Philly Mom
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I have gate checked my BJCM 8 times and never had a problem. I did buy the red bag to go over it. In my experience, flights are extremely booked and I have had no luck getting a spare seat for the car seat so I have just started to check the infant car seat too. It is a pain to drag through the airort. I did not use a cover the last time and it was fine. Not a single mark and I was thrilled not to have it in the airport. If you are happy to carry your DD through the airport, I would just check the BJCM too because you have a tight lay over. That would not work for me because I need a place to put the baby besides on me. I am just not strong enough, but do love having my carrier. On the plane, I have been told to take DD out of the carrier during take off and landing. I personally have been pretty relaxed when traveling even by myself. As an FYI, I have always had to take DD out of the carrier to go through security. Always annoyed me because she would be sleeping but oh well. Have fun!!

sunshine873
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Bring more diapers than you think you need, more food than you think you need & a change of clothes for everyone.

Lollipops were a God-send for me when I flew with DD. I bought a bag of Dum Dums & gave her one at take off & at landing. It kept her moving her mouth & swallowing at those times and her ears were fine. Plus, it was a treat she doesn't normally get, so that helped. I 2nd the suggestion about individually packing small snacks. DD ate and ate and ate some more. Stickers are fabulous - we loved those little sticker books they sell on Amazon for $1.50.

Yes, it probably will suck - but it's a limited amount of time and there will be help at the end!!! Good luck!

Liziz
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Overall sounds like you have a good plan! I just flew alone w/ my 4 month DD this weekend. I also flew with her last month.

*If there's a way to avoid bringing both carseats (i.e. - someone there you can borrow from, or it's worth it to buy a cheap one for Grandma's house), I'd do it. We brought ours once b/c we didn't have a good option, and it was a pain.

*If that's not an option, I'd definitely check both carseats. It would be nice to get an extra seat and bring the infant seat on the plane, but since you have DD1 with you too, that's logistically even more difficult...they can't just give you any two seats together, you'd need three together. Sure, you can gate check, but if you're working with a 30 minute connection (and I've flown in there a lot, and agree with the comments from that other board you linked), but it's one more thing to have to deal with.

*It's a *great* idea to use your carrier as much as possible. In a busy place like an airport, I'm so much more comfortable with DD in a carrier b/c even if I take my eyes off the stroller for a second (I brought mine to use as a luggage carrier), she's never out of reach/sight/etc. Yeah, I'm paranoid. But especially b/c you'll be running after your DD1....I'd feel safer.

*I was told it's fine to leave baby in the carrier to go through security, and have never had issues with it. They just asked me to touch the baby and carrier, then swabbed my hands. Super easy, and it also meant I got to avoid the body scanners.

*It is FAA rules that the baby has to come out of the carrier, the flight attendants I had enforced it....but I think it should be easy with the Butterfly, right? Doesn't the baby detach from the main carrier easily? (maybe I'm thinking of a different one?) They won't make you taker the carrier off, they'll just want the baby not attached to you.

*Nursing on the flight saved me. DD was okay on takeoff, but the decent really bothered her....as soon as I started nursing her she was fine until we landed. I'd suggest practicing nursing how you'll want to do it on the plane (i.e. w/ a cover, or w/o a pillow, etc.) now so it's easier. Personally, I don't think lugging a pillow is worth it.

*Normally I would definitely recommend gate checking your stroller, b/c it's nice to have in the airport -- for DD1, or to set your stuff down (or for a break from wearing DD2). BUT -- given your very short connection, I'd weigh how fast you think DD1 can move through the airport w/o the stroller with the fact that it takes some time to unload the gate-checked baggage, and that will slow you down.

I'm so excited for you that you're going to visit your parents (I missed that thread I guess). Even if travel seems a little stressful, it will be completely worth it!!! Good luck!

amldaley
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Ok...revised plan thus far:

Can't change ticket.

Checking car seats. Lay over too short to deal with them and one leg of travel each way is on a plane with only two seats on each side of the aisle. We have seats selected for all but one leg of the 4 total. No chance I am risking being seated away from DD1 as she will FLIP HER LID.

Anyone have bag recommendations for a Britax Blvd and a Cybex Aton?

Stiill undecided on the stroller.

Going with Mariza's plan to ask for assistance (thanks, friend...I forgot you were a pro!)

Love all the bag packing and snack and toy ideas and will do as you all recommend.

Going to bring a bottle of pumped milk JUST IN CASE nursing is a fiasco. I am just not good at NIP. I am not embarrassed or intimidated, but I am disorganzied and clumsy!

My awesome older brother is meeting me at the airport with his Ford Flex so transportation is a lock and he is awesome at soothing stressed souls.

indigo99
07-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Going to bring a bottle of pumped milk JUST IN CASE nursing is a fiasco.

They did make DH drink from DS's bottle when we went through airport security. We don't let the boys drink/eat after us so we had to throw the whole thing out after that. We did have formula with us though, and we had to borrow a bottled water from another passenger to make a bottle when DS wouldn't stop screaming during takeoff.

rin
07-06-2012, 11:00 PM
They did make DH drink from DS's bottle when we went through airport security. We don't let the boys drink/eat after us so we had to throw the whole thing out after that. We did have formula with us though, and we had to borrow a bottled water from another passenger to make a bottle when DS wouldn't stop screaming during takeoff.

That is TOTALLY against TSA regulations! When was this? If it was recently, I would absolutely file a complaint.

I've never had to drink from bottles of pumped milk; the most I've had to do is open the bottles so they can wave the little tester strip above the liquid (but it never touches the milk). I have had to (on some flights) open every container of food/liquid, so any sealed pouches/jars/yogurts/etc that couldn't be resealed had to be used or tossed.

Liziz
07-07-2012, 12:26 AM
That is TOTALLY against TSA regulations! When was this? If it was recently, I would absolutely file a complaint.

I've never had to drink from bottles of pumped milk; the most I've had to do is open the bottles so they can wave the little tester strip above the liquid (but it never touches the milk). I have had to (on some flights) open every container of food/liquid, so any sealed pouches/jars/yogurts/etc that couldn't be resealed had to be used or tossed.

Agreed...totally against regulations. I didn't have any problems when I brought pumped milk and ice packs...just identified it before I put it through the scanner and that was that.

baileygirl
07-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Since having ds2 I have not flown a lot, but would there be any concerns of the bags making it on the second flight? Does your brother have young kids where you could use their carseats if they don't make it on the connection?

gatorsmom
07-07-2012, 07:35 AM
If you want to eliminate having to drag another carseat around and having to install it in the airport (never fun), I would HIGHLY suggest one of these for your almost 4 yo. http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Traffic-Systems-GD10101RWB-Travel/dp/B0034CTEC6/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1341660264&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=ride+safer+vest A CPS mom here suggested it (thank you Bubbaray!) for traveling. You can pack it on top of your other stuff in the suitcase, let your DD ride to the airport in her regular carseat, and when you get to your destination pull it out of the suitcase before getting in your brother's car or rental car. It's much easier and faster than installing a carseat at the airport.

That would prevent you from having to haul around 2 carseats. If your connection is a short one and you worry about the luggage not making it to your desination, the vest is soft and squishy and you could easily pack it in your carry on.

Also, I highly recommend walking through security and down to your gate with baby in the stroller (and infant seat attached to the stroller, if yours does that) and then simply gate checking your stroller and carseat. We always gate check our strollers and in the past 9 years of traveling with our kids have never had any damage. We were always told that the items gate checked get thrown into the cargo hold last and are the first to be unloaded (because disabled passengers need their wheelchairs immediately upon departing the plane). On this most recent trip, DH suggested we check our stroller and I refused because I knew that it would have luggage thrown on it and it was more likely to get damaged. I insisted it get gate checked or not brought along at all.

Once you get to your gate, in the seated area you could put your Beco on and then put baby in the Beco, wearing her onto the plane and simply pushing the stroller and carseat. That way you could be wearing baby when you fold up your stroller and carseat for gate checking before boarding the plane. I've done that before and it worked really well. I wouldn't wear baby through security in the Beco because they may make you take her out of the Beco and put it through security. Then you have the annoying job of finding someone to hold baby while you put the Beco back on (as well as your shoes and DD's) at security.

georgiegirl
07-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I'd be worried about the car seats making it with a 36 minute layover. The first time I travelled with dd when she was 10 weeks old, the airlines lost the carseat BOTH ways!!! The first time I checked it as baggage and the second time I gate checked it. The airport gave me grungy convertible to use with my tiny 3 month old. I basically had to hold her in the seat (while she was strapped in), then I borrowed a friends snug ride after we got home for 3 days until they found the carseat. I done mean to scare you. Since then we've probably travelled 15 times with carseats and there's never been a problem.

Sometimes it takes them forever to unload the gate checked items so it might be best to regular check everything.

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Going OT here....this would have been a total exception for me re. sharing off food and drink (not that we adhere to that here anyway). But, I guess you had extra on hand.

indigo99
07-07-2012, 07:08 PM

It was last summer, and I don't even remember if it was Detroit or somewhere in Europe. I had already gone through the scanner and was waiting and waiting and waiting on the other side. DH just told me that's what had happened when he finally came through. I'd heard of that before but didn't think they'd actually make us do it.

eta: You could always buy inexpensive carseats from amazon and have them shipped to your mom's house for use. If you were planning on buying a new one soon anyway then you could have the new one sent there and then someone can use the box it comes in to mail it to your house when you leave. That saves you from having to worry about them while traveling.

daniele_ut
07-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok...revised plan thus far:

Can't change ticket.

Checking car seats. Lay over too short to deal with them and one leg of travel each way is on a plane with only two seats on each side of the aisle. We have seats selected for all but one leg of the 4 total. No chance I am risking being seated away from DD1 as she will FLIP HER LID.

Did you actually call the airline to verify that they won't let you change without penalty? When I was flying last summer from ROC to DTW to SLC, I had a 35 minute layover in Detroit and I knew the chances of making it were VERY slim and I was by myself. I called Delta and they said it was a valid connection but that they would rebook me at no charge.

I flew through DTW again on a flight from San Diego and then connected to Newark about a month ago and it was a fiasco. I had DS, his infant seat and no stroller because I had been on vacation in SD with dh and the kids and the MBUD and had to fly home for a funeral. I ended up getting sent to FOUR different gates because they kept moving my flight due to a mechanical problem with a different plane. The terminal is about a mile long and it does have trams, but they aren't exactly fast.

I'm flying through DTW again in a few weeks with all 3 kids on my way back to SLC from Newark and I'm not looking forward to it!

I also wanted to mention that when we got off the plane in Newark last Saturday it took 12 minutes for them to return my gate checked stroller, so if you have a tight connection I would NOT plan on gate checking anything at all.

amldaley
07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Did you actually call the airline to verify that they won't let you change without penalty? When I was flying last summer from ROC to DTW to SLC, I had a 35 minute layover in Detroit and I knew the chances of making it were VERY slim and I was by myself. I called Delta and they said it was a valid connection but that they would rebook me at no charge.

I flew through DTW again on a flight from San Diego and then connected to Newark about a month ago and it was a fiasco. I had DS, his infant seat and no stroller because I had been on vacation in SD with dh and the kids and the MBUD and had to fly home for a funeral. I ended up getting sent to FOUR different gates because they kept moving my flight due to a mechanical problem with a different plane. The terminal is about a mile long and it does have trams, but they aren't exactly fast.

I'm flying through DTW again in a few weeks with all 3 kids on my way back to SLC from Newark and I'm not looking forward to it!

I also wanted to mention that when we got off the plane in Newark last Saturday it took 12 minutes for them to return my gate checked stroller, so if you have a tight connection I would NOT plan on gate checking anything at all.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!! Not gate checking anything. Will call the airline tomorrow and beg assistance ;)

amldaley
07-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Just got off the phone with Delta. They can't change my flights...there is nothing left on the earlier flight and all others either SIGNIFICANTLY raise my fare or force me to have THREE connections.

I got put in the request for a Meet & Assist. However, there are no electric carts available on the concourse we come in to. So, we'll be hoofing it.

She verified with the supervisor that there is enough time to make the connection. They stated that because that itinerary come up as a route in their system, it means they deem it an appropriate connection time.

We may be the last ones boarding and we have been assigned to the 44th row but that's that.

So...definitely not gate checking anything! I will only carry what we really must on the flight and pray it works!

And I will keep you all updated!

Thanks again, everyone!

Thatchermom
07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Please look for my PM! I can help!

mom2binsd
07-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't want to toss on the wet blanket, but when someone else mentioned this too, there is a very good chance your luggage won't make that connection and that means your car seats too...if they don't they'll be on the next flight from your connection city...are you ok with hanging around the airport till the next flight (maybe just check to see when the next flight comes in)....they'll deliver the luggage and car seats but obviously you can't leave without the car seats...or does your brother have kids/know someone with same age kids that he could borrow seats just for a few hours?

My dad had a 1 hour connection through O"hare....and he made it but his luggage didn't, same set up, he arrived at a different concourse and took off from the main one. American said it often happens with tight connections.

I think if they know you're coming they'll hold the connecting flight so you're good there....the kids may think it's a fun racing adventure!

mom2binsd
07-08-2012, 11:56 AM

THere is a big TSA poster when you enter security now that states you need to inform the agent if you have baby formula, breast milk, baby food etc but you will not have to drink it!

lhafer
07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Back in January, I was always able to nurse my 9-month-old during take off without any problems. I did that to avoid her ears from popping. Getting a window seat was very nice for privacy. If you aren't assigned a window seat, just tell them at the gate that you're a nursing mother and would like one. They always seem willing to accommodate.

You can nurse during take off and landing. But you can't have the baby strapped to you in a carrier during those times. It's against regulations. They can be on your lap, just not physically strapped to you. Then once you are airborne/leveled out, you can strap them onto you.