PDA

View Full Version : Soooo not a sports mom

belovedgandp
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I knew this day was coming, but I really thought I had a couple more years. DS1 is 8 and going into 3rd grade and sports are officially insane.

Our kids are not destined to sports stardom, but I've enjoyed having them on different teams and go to camps to try different sports, be active, and participate on a team.

Our cute little rec soccer team has been great the past two years. Practice once or twice a week, season of about 8 games. No big deal. Total cost maybe $100 after buying some drinks and the coach's gift.

Now there is the competitive world. Minimum $1500 for the year - plus the stress of a tryout for my kid that is about the middle of the pack on a team that is in the middle of the pack for our rec league. No thank you from us. But now the team is gone - 1/3 went competitive and 1/2 just quite to focus on other sports, so now there are 2 kids left that just want to play recreational soccer together. We'll land on another team, but I have a feeling the league just got really small.

misshollygolightly
07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Oh boy. Why can't kids sports be more focused on fun instead of becoming such huge time- and money-sucks? I have no BTDT, but I already hear my mommy friends talking about it. I really dislike the thought of having to rearrange my family's schedule and lifestyle to revolve around a grade schooler's extracurricular sport activity!

smilequeen
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm sure he'll have fun with the rec league :) Even if it's smaller, it will be a lot of like minded families and that should be fun! Sports are really all about the fun, teamwork, and exercise at the core.

And I am a total sports mom and I love seeing my son do well, but I wish it wasn't so competitive so young with so many blowhard parents...

citymama
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Fellow NON sports mom checking in here...I feel like I am depriving my kids, but fortunately they have their soccer dad to take them to swimming, gymnastics, and basketball! Nothing competitive though - not sure how I would handle that.

Karenn
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow. I'm just starting to hear about those $1500/year leagues. Luckily there are still plenty of non-competitive opportunities for my 10 year old where we live. I've heard that the uber-competitive (and uber expensive!) teams are the only option a few towns away in a more affluent area. Not looking forward to hitting that stage- we'll be priced out! I like what smilequeen had to say about finding like-minded parents in the rec. league. Hopefully that will turn out to be true!

queenmama
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Whoa! That's a lotta dough! I'm thanking my lucky stars that DS isn't a big time bballer, or maybe I'd feel obligated to go that competitive route or join traveling/year-round leagues. No thank you! I'm glad track isn't that kind of sport, since he excels there. ;)

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

belovedgandp
07-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I really thought I had another year or two before the decision was forced on us. Kids should be able to try out different things. These parents are insane worrying about their choices and debating college scholarship chances. It's all I can do to not point out that they are insane.

3rd or 4th grade is when soccer, dance and baseball get crazy around here. Volleyball and basketball follow by 6th or 7th grade. Gymnastics and ice skating are insane by 2nd grade.