PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Magna Tiles....esp. input from WOHPs

AnnieW625
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
The 100 Magnatile deal posted in the bargain forum got me wondering about this.

Wondering if any WOHP parents have these, and if so how many? I ask because we are only at home on weekends and weeknights, and DD2 most nights is in bed by 7:30 or 8 pm (we get home around 5:30) at the latest so I wonder if they would be worth it to us. On the weekends they like to spend time outside, their bedrooms and toys sometimes see limited play. Also most nights our kids don't play with their toys when we get home because it is a rush to get dinner done or we let them watch a little TV while I am cooking dinner.

I am thinking about these for DD2's main Christmas present. She will be 2 yrs. 8 mos. old then, and DD1 will be 6 yrs. 8 mos. old then.

cono0507
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
My kids have been playing with them consistently for nearly 5 years now. I bought them when DS was 2. Just this morning my 7yo and 4.5yo were building with them. They are a constant in our house.
I WOH part time. The magna tiles have been one of the best toys I've bought as far as longevity and frequency of play. Go for it!

egoldber
07-05-2012, 02:24 PM
My kids love them so much we bought a second set. Absolutely one of our best toy purchases ever.

ETA: My kids do use them outside on our driveway. They make houses with them and "decorate" them with leaves, etc. But we play a lot on our driveway.

missym
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I feel like these are one of our best "quick-play" toys. The kids grab them if they have only a few minutes to play because they're so versatile - they can build something with them, pretend they're books, computers, food, etc. We keep them in an open basket in the living room (one of 2 toys that stays in the LR at this point), so cleanup is quick, too.

We've had ours for years and they get almost daily play. They are a favorite with visiting friends, from kids to teens to adults. We have 2 sets of 100.

theriviera
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
They also get daily play at our house. totally worth it!

hillview
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
we have them and love them. We use them several times a week here. Weekends more so for sure. Also my 7 year old still likes them so they have long term play value.

boolady
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
DD has a set she got for Christmas and loves them. She asked for them because they were her favorite activity at daycare/preschool. We need to get another set, because she just has a small set. They get used all the time for very different things I would never even think of.

zag95
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
DD got her set from Santa for Christmas (she was almost 4)- got them when they had an awesome deal online. I think they were like 90 plus free ship last summer around this time.

She plays with them daily- totally loves them- and any kid who visits us plays with them as well! They are the best money we've spent on a toy.

DD has the 100 pc set- and creates houses for her ponies, barbies, fairies and any other creature who may want to live in them!

ncat
07-07-2012, 08:23 AM
We have a 100 piece set and a smaller set and they get frequent use by both DD and DS. We have had them since before DS was born. I am tempted to buy a second 100 piece set.

I enjoy playing with them, too!

brittone2
07-10-2012, 09:22 AM
SAHM here, but DH often jokes if we had to pare down to about 5 types of toys, Magnatiles would be a definite. I find them pretty easy to clean up, all 3 kids enjoy playing with them together. My toddlers were able to play with them and I didn't have to worry about choking hazards. DS1 is 8.5 and still plays with them all of the time, as do the other two.

We started with a set of 100 for both DS1 and DD at the time, and rapidly bought a 2nd set.

WatchingThemGrow
07-10-2012, 09:43 AM
SAHM here, but DH often jokes if we had to pare down to about 5 types of toys, Magnatiles would be a definite.
:yeahthat: As we are bouncing around from place to place all summer, they've been in our toy collection.

we have
1)magnatiles
2)matchbox
3)imaginext guys,vehicles, accessories (like bunkbeds, ladders - to outfit magnatile buildings)
4)colored pencils, doodling markers, and spiral sketch pads
5)leapfrog toys (leappad, explorer, tag readers+books)

I think the biggest thing I like about them is that they are great for developing spatial awareness. It's like doing math and not knowing it. I bet they'd happily play with them instead of watching tv while you make dinner.

MontrealMum
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm a WAHM but since DS isn't here during the day I figured I was allowed to respond. ;)

We have one 100 pc set and LOVE them! They're one our favorite toys. And by "our" I mean both me and DS. Like other posters we find that they're a great, quick toy, and that they combine well with other toys. DS' big thing right now is building garages for his trucks and planes. They're also nicely portable for a trip to visit the g-parents or to bring on vacation. We keep them in their original box so they provide a lot of entertainment but don't take up much room. I'm currently trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a 2nd set.