PDA

View Full Version : fun article about supermarket classics

urbanmommy
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
This reminds me of a post that I saw here a couple months ago about food and what were your non-organic guilty pleasures or staples that you can't live without:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/dining/top-chefs-say-that-sometimes-only-supermarket-brands-will-do.html?_r=1&ref=dining

jjordan
07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting!

Momit
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Funny and so true!

Mommy_Again
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
This is why I can't shop at Whole Foods! When I need ketchup, I want Heinz; for mayo it's Hellmans. No thank you to random generic or organic brands, as much as I love the WF prepared foods, meat and produce. And with 3 kids, I'm a one-stop shopping kind of girl. Publix Greenwise is my happy medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liz
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
This was my favorite quote:

As an avid cyclist who often depends on peanut butter sandwiches for sustenance on long rides, Mr. Chiarello has a grievance with organic peanut butter. He equates it to “swallowing chalk.”

“I about fell off my bike trying to eat an organic peanut butter and banana sandwich, because you’re just choking,” he said. “There’s not enough water in your water bottle to get it down. You’ve got to smack yourself in the back of the head.”

great article BTW, thanks for posting

ellies mom
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I love my Skippy peanut butter. I've tried the more natural ones and I just don't feel the love. I do enjoy the occasional almond butter but as far as I'm concerned there isn't much better than eating Skippy's straight off the spoon.