PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about preschool entrance

ourbabygirl
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm always so confused about this and want to just get it straight for once; hoping you'll know the answer.

DD was born in the fall of '08, and our school district's cut-off is September 1st, so she'll be one of the older kids in her grade. Since she missed the cut-off last year for preschool through our school district, she'll be going this fall in the 3's class (though she'll be turning 4 shortly after school starts).
So when does she enter kindergarten? Would she do
Preschool (3's class) in 2012-2013,
Preschool (4's class) in 2012-2014, and
Preschool (Fun with 5's) in 2014-2015, or
Kindergarten in 2014-2015?

We're in the midwest, FWIW... don't know if certain states have the kids enter earlier? I know one of my childhood friends moved here from CA, and she was a year younger than the rest of us.

I never remember how old they turn their kindergarten year, and I want to know when I should plan on the kids being in school full-time so I can go back to school myself. :)

Thanks for your help!

SnuggleBuggles
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
She'll be 5 going on 6 when she enters k. So, I think she'll miss the Fun with 5s unless you ask them to make an exception and put her in there (if you like the program). Otherwise, 3s, 4s then k.

smilequeen
07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Definitely K in 14-15. She'll be turning 6 that fall. Kids are usually 5, going on 6, in K. My oldest turned 6 in November after starting K. DS2 starts K this fall and he's turning 5 in 2 weeks, so he won't be 6 until after K is over.

queenmama
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
My son attends private school in the Midwest and had to be 5 by the time school started. I went to public school in California and the cutoff was December (also age 5), and I started at 4 and turned 5 a few weeks into school. I'm guessing it depends on where you live. Some states don't even require kindergarten!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

ourbabygirl
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
O.k., thanks! :thumbsup:
I don't know much about the 5's program, but assumed it was for the kids who have fall birthdays and just miss the cut-off. I thought that since she would be missing the cut-off, she would have 3 years of preschool, but it's good to hear that's probably not the case. :)

llama8
07-03-2012, 04:03 PM
I think it goes by your cut-off date.

Where I live, the cut-off is Dec 1st. My DD1 born at the end of November just makes it and will probably be the youngest in her class.

She is starting preschool in September even though she will only be 2.9 years and not 3.