PDA

View Full Version : Pillows on child's full bed

bostonsmama
07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I got a quilt and 2 quilted shams from PBK for my DD's big girl bed. I had ordered one Euro sham w/ her name embroidered on the front long before this, and as fate would have it, it sort of matches (it's plain pink). I was going to get two of the bedding pattern's euro shams to go with it, but when I put it all together, it looked ridiculous. SIX pillows on a little girl's bed, not including any kind of throw??! It's all just a little too much. If the euro sham weren't so tall, it'd look adorable as a front pillow, but I just don't know how I feel.

I was trying to find some photos of full (double) sized beds with their pillow layouts, but most of PBK's photos are of a twin sized bed with a euro to the back right, sheeting bed pillow to the left of center, and the duvet or quilted sham at the front to the right of center. It looks so nice on a twin, but there's no way to stagger them on a full sized bed.

I love a neatly made bed. In my room, I have sheeting bed pillows, shammed pillows in front, and then a long king-sized pillow & sham in front of those and one accent pillow in front of that.

I suppose I'm regretting the euro sham purchase, now. I actually think they look sort of skinny behind the sheeted & standard sham pillows. Help! If you have that configuration, what do you do? What would you do?

lhafer
07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Dd1 (6) has 2 pillows on her full sized bed. Dd2 (2.5) has 1 pillow on her twin sized bed. The only times those pillows are on their beds is when they are sleeping, and during school. The rest of the time, they are too busy making beds elsewhere, making forts, hidy-holes, you name it. And because there are only 3 pillows, they come and take the couch pillows as well. Good luck keeping a lot if pillwos on a nicely mad bed. Those just don't exist in my household.

kijip
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
The rest of the time, they are too busy making beds elsewhere, making forts, hidy-holes, you name it. And because there are only 3 pillows, they come and take the couch pillows as well. Good luck keeping a lot if pillwos on a nicely mad bed. Those just don't exist in my household.

I have to agree. Each of my sons have two pillows and they are virtually never found on their beds during waking hours. Decorative pillows would be a totally lost cause.

dhano923
07-04-2012, 12:02 AM
DD has her 2 sleeping pillows, 2 sham/decorative pillows, a toss pillow and a large Disney beanbag pillow. At night, everything goes on the floor except the sleeping pillows. I think it's overkill but she likes it.

DS has 2 sleeping pillows, 1 sham pillow and 1 toss pillow.

bostonsmama
07-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Hmmm...I suppose as DD gets older this will happen. Growing up we were never allowed to touch, sit or lay on a made bed, so perhaps it won't be in her DNA. ;)

I suppose I could make the euro sham a floor reading cushion...

JBaxter
07-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Not being allowed to lay on a made bed has nothing to do with genetics. I find that a whole lot strange myself. A bed in a kids room a made bed is an oddity in my kids room anyway just could not fathom telling them not to lay on a bed just because the comforter was on it.

amldaley
07-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Hmmm...I suppose as DD gets older this will happen. Growing up we were never allowed to touch, sit or lay on a made bed, so perhaps it won't be in her DNA. ;)

I suppose I could make the euro sham a floor reading cushion...

I think the idea of making the Euro a floor pillow is awesome. It gives her something special that is just hers, personalized, to relax with.

Were it me, I would stick with the two shams that came with the quilt and the two regular sheeting pillows. Just those 4 for now. And you can use it as a teaching opportunity for DD on bedmaking.

I was not raised by a super-strict-bed-maker but I was not allowed to jump on the bed as a child. It was a big deal to me. I made sure to ste my DD's bed up so that she *could*. They're only little once. Plenty of time for perfect beds later on!

Green_Tea
07-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Plenty of time for perfect beds later on!
:yeahthat:

I'm of the mind that a kid's room is a place for them to relax and hang out and feel at home - what better place to be able to chill than on their bed? Keep it simple ;).

kijip
07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
My kids don't jump on their beds, made or otherwise but a lot of good goes on there during the day. Both curl up there to look at books. Frequently they are both on T's bed playing with Hero Factory or just playing pretend. The bed is a sizable portion of their room. Making it off limits seems like a waste to me. Since we built that bunk bed I think it has been a pirate ship, a sailboat, a rocket ship, a tree house, a fort, a jail cell for captured siblings and cousins and friends, a castle, a cloud they could ride, a covered wagon westward bound...