PDA

View Full Version : Please help. Toddler sweating a lot while asleep

fedoragirl
07-03-2012, 07:15 PM
DD occassionally sweats when she is asleep but it's mostly because she's hot. Today, the room temp is absolutely ok because I checked it. She is absolutely drenched and has been asleep for an hour only. I am getting extreme reasons for this on google so I'd prefer the mommies here to share their experiences.
Should I take her to the ped? No fever. She has been cranky today and took a long time to get to bed. She wanted to me to sit in her room when she has never done that before. I have a very bad cold.
I'll take her to the ped or ER if I need to but I don't want to do it if it's not serious.

hillview
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
what is the temp in the room and what are you dressing her in for bed?

fedoragirl
07-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Temp is 73F currently (where she's sleeping) and she's got on Hanna sleepers. No socks. She has a cotton duvet that she can throw off if she wants. She usually does but not today. I lowered it to cover legs and feet, but she's still sweating.
I am afraid of all these googled stories of heart defects, etc. Yikes!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
my DD has been doing that a ton. we keep the house at 75-76. honestly i think the culprit is that there is this plush blanket she likes to snuggle with and press up her face against it. that and when we forget to leave the ceiling fan on...she gets super sweaty.

i honestly would not worry about it!! DS sometimes sweats like that when he sleeps under his Thomas pillow pet (and his thousand other animals..)

LMPC
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Do you have a waterproof cover on her mattress? Ever since we switched to that type with DD, she's been a lot warmer at night. Aren't there other symptoms for heart defects besides sweating at night?

sophiesmom03
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
In a 73-75 degree room my dd would be hot in long Pajamas even without the blanket. Can you try shortjohns and a light blanket instead? Assuming she likes to be covered - neither dd1 nor I can sleep without at least a sheet or cotton blanket.

elliput
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Do you have a waterproof cover on her mattress? Ever since we switched to that type with DD, she's been a lot warmer at night.
This is a good thought. When I was visiting my parents last summer, I was trying to figure out why I was so hot and sweaty when I was sleeping in their basement. I finally figured out it was because of the waterproof cover on the mattress. I took it off and was much cooler.

wendibird22
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
DD2 is 2 yo and a big sweater. She sweats in an a/c room with a fan on. But she's always snuggled in some blanket. I wouldn't worry at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdeunc
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
All 3 of my kids were/are sweaters. We keep our house at 70 and DS2 will still be sweaty if he wraps up. If DD had on long pajamas and it was 73 she would be drenched.

As DH always tells me when I have been hitting google, "hoofbeats are usually horses not zebras", ie don't go looking for the rare when the common makes more sense. :)

I have to step away from the computer a lot! :D

Giantbear
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I sweat when i sleep and i keep the room at 68, my dd is the same way. 73 is way too warm for a warm sleeper. I also will get heat flashes (pretty sure it is not menopause) when i have a stomach issue.

babyonway
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Does she have any other sleep issues at all? If she is sweating a lot I think that is totally fine (my DD sweats a ton when she sleeps) but if she is having other issues such as restless sleep, snoring, falling asleep on short car rides then she could have some kind of sleep-related problem.

amldaley
07-04-2012, 01:07 AM
TOTALLY OT but...

every time I see the title of this thread in the Lounge, I think it says, "Toddler swearing a lot while asleep" and it cracks me up - every. single. time.

I am so easily amused....

Beth24
07-04-2012, 01:30 AM
You are so funny amidaley! Another swearing I mean sweaty toddler here!!! Mine sweats so much when he sleeps his pillow is drenched when he wakes up. And I've even found moldy spots on his mattress cover when I change his sheet!

fedoragirl
07-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I don't see anything wrong today. She seems normal but we'll monitor her. The only symptoms I could note yesterday were that she cried a ton after going to bed and wanted us to sit in her room. Nothing would soothe her but that. She has never done that before. She is an excellent sleeper and can sleep through her baby brother's wails. I will continue to monitor her. I just got scared with all the requests, even pleadings from member comments on babycenter.com about not ignoring this and rushing to the next ER.

fedoragirl
07-04-2012, 03:44 AM
TOTALLY OT but...

every time I see the title of this thread in the Lounge, I think it says, "Toddler swearing a lot while asleep" and it cracks me up - every. single. time.

I am so easily amused....

That would crack me up too. I don't think DD swears in her sleep but mom may be another matter. :D

JBaxter
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
My oldest was/ is a sweaty kid <now man> When he breastfed sweat would bead up on his brow -- he would have sweat rings on his pillows in the summer. Its just him he healthy and normal now 20yr old.

dhano923
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I would be sweating bullets in long sleeves and pants in 73 degrees! I sleep in shorts/tee with the A/C set to 72 and the ceiling fan on low.

Either lower the temp or put her in less clothes.

codex57
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I would be sweating bullets in long sleeves and pants in 73 degrees! I sleep in shorts/tee with the A/C set to 72 and the ceiling fan on low.

Either lower the temp or put her in less clothes.

Me too. At that temp, I sleep in just boxers. DW will be in long pants and possibly long sleeves.

My kids sweat a ton too. Generally, it's cuz they burrow themselves (even if they kick off their blankets) into stuff (like pillows, the sheets themselves, etc). Pretty easy for a kid to find something to keep them hot in a bed. Oftentimes, my kids will do it in a way that half their body is sweating while the other half is fine.

janine
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
2 sweaty kids here too. I keep temp at 75 (which feels cool when it's a/c generated).

I think it's just how it is - keep the sheets light. The waterproof pad is an interesting thought - but obviously can't ditch those.

I also find the HA sleepers to be thick - so probably not very breathable.