PDA

View Full Version : struggling with Game of Thrones

boogiemomz
07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Checked it out from the library once and got about 60 pages in before it was due back, and obviously unrenewable. So when I came across the first two books on sale at the library for $1 each, I decided to give it another try and bought them both. I'm about 1/3 of the way in, about 300 pages, and struggling. I've definitely gotten to know some of the characters and some of their motivations more than my first attempt, but I'm usually fighting to stay awake reading it. (Reading before bed doesn't help, but still). It just feels so slow and heavy. There was one event early on that made me think it was going to pick up, but now it's dragging again. Am I just a lesser person who can't get into this? I feel like I'm the only person alive who isn't totally riveted. Is it slow to start then gets better? Should I press on? I'm kind of wishing I was reading something lighter and easier for summer, but I've already invested in this and I'd like to see it through. I just wish I would get to that "must read one more chapter" point. Thoughts?

sophiesmom03
07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
It is slow to start. I watched the first season on HBO before reading so that sped it up. Normally I'd read first but this series was never on my radar before HBO.

The third book is one of the best I've ever read. Have not finished book5 yet.

wellyes
07-04-2012, 05:48 PM
If you're past the first "whoa" moment (really two "woah" moments in one, everyone who's read it remembers) and you still don't care, drop it and move on. Life's too short to read books that don't grab you. It is just a bunch more "eeeew" and "oh no!" and "YES!" and "no way", really. No biggie if that ain't your thing.

I dislike several BBB-beloved series. Outlander and Stephanie Plum come immediately to mind. Different strokes.

vonfirmath
07-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm having a real hard time getting through the first book Game of Thrones too. I'm listening to it on CD and stalled out about 2/3 of the way through... I have a real bad feeling the family I want to follow is about to die out and the bad guys are going to win. And yeah, that may be RL but I don't feel like reading about it for several books (esp of this length) before it gets figured out.

OTOH, I am starting to get interested in the "far away" plot and that sounds intriguing... but enough to wade through the rest? I don't know.

crl
07-04-2012, 11:49 PM
I got about halfway through book three and gave up. Dh loves it.

Catherine

roseyw
07-05-2012, 05:48 AM
I got round to reading the books after I had watched both seasons on HBO. It normally does noyt work, but I think watching the series before reading the book is a really good idea, because you will know who every one is and what their motivations are. So you can relate to it a lot easier.

wellyes
07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm having a real hard time getting through the first book Game of Thrones too. I'm listening to it on CD and stalled out about 2/3 of the way through... I have a real bad feeling the family I want to follow is about to die out and the bad guys are going to win. And yeah, that may be RL but I don't feel like reading about it for several books (esp of this length) before it gets figured out.

OTOH, I am starting to get interested in the "far away" plot and that sounds intriguing... but enough to wade through the rest? I don't know.
I think the point of this particular series is that you are being manipulated by a master storyteller. You are feeling exactly what you are supposed to be feeling. Sometimes he upsets expectations, sometimes he does exactly what you've been dreading, sometimes something completely wonderful and unexpected happens, sometimes everything gets turned on its head in an instant. Some readers enjoy the thrills of this sort of experience, and others do not.

kaharris83
07-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I got round to reading the books after I had watched both seasons on HBO. It normally does noyt work, but I think watching the series before reading the book is a really good idea, because you will know who every one is and what their motivations are. So you can relate to it a lot easier.

:yeahthat: There's no way I could have made it through the books without having watched the series. It helps when I have a face to go with a name. I'm almost finished with the first book and I love how the characters are able to be developed in more detail in the book so I have a better understanding of them on the show. That's what is motivating me through the slower parts, finding out what I missed or what wasn't included in the show.

BabbyO
07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
IME when you have a book like that it just may not be the right time for you to read it. I know Dune and Lord of the Rings books were like that when I first started them. I put them down and went back later (several years in both cases) and was completely riveted. I would even keep myself up too late because I was so drawn into them.

I'm reading Game of Thrones now and am riveted...but have been struggling to finish the Bourne trilogy for a while. I've resigned to the fact that while I really enjoyed the movies....the JB series just isn't for me right now. Perhaps in a few years it will go better.

Sometimes watching the series/movie helps me...but not necessarily. I read Dune and LOTR way before the movies...or at least before I knew there was a (bad) Dune movie/series out!

Maybe it is time to walk away and try again later?

codex57
07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Skip it.

I read FAST! I also am easily pleased (enough to finish a book anyways).

I couldn't fight my way through it. I never fought that hard with a book before. Usually, after about 5 pages or so, I know I can finish it or not. I gave this one hundreds of pages. Couldn't do it.

Life's too short. There are too many other great books.

Yes, I was curious as to what happened since I did get that far, but that's what the Wikipedia summary is for.

mommylamb
07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry you're having a hard time with it. If you really don't like it, there's nothing wrong with putting it down. But as a total junky, I will say that it is such an awesome read if you can get into it! I totally loved the books. I read all 5 before watching the HBO show, and honestly that was better for me. I think I may have found the show confusing if I hadn't read the books first.

I have a real bad feeling the family I want to follow is about to die out and the bad guys are going to win. And yeah, that may be RL but I don't feel like reading about it for several books (esp of this length) before it gets figured out.

The thing about this series is that *most* of the characters are not good or evil. They're shades of gray and complicated like real people. As you get further into the books, you get a better understanding of the characters you initially thought of as "bad guys" and understand more about their motivations. That's one of the beauties of these books.

vonfirmath
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
The thing about this series is that *most* of the characters are not good or evil. They're shades of gray and complicated like real people. As you get further into the books, you get a better understanding of the characters you initially thought of as "bad guys" and understand more about their motivations. That's one of the beauties of these books.

...Somehow the book makes you think that incest and adultery are good things because of their motivations? I am beginning to think putting the book down is a great idea.

wellyes
07-05-2012, 04:14 PM
...Somehow the book makes you think that incest and adultery are good things because of their motivations? I am beginning to think putting the book down is a great idea.

Seriously?

I don't think adultery and incest rate in the top 10 awful things in book 1, so interesting choice.

vonfirmath
07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Seriously?

I don't think adultery and incest rate in the top 10 awful things in book 1, so interesting choice.

#1 haven't finished the book. Probably not going to at this point so not going to be able to complete my top 10 for you and #2 trying to be as vague as possible

I still have NO idea which "whoa" moment you meant earlier that "Everyone knows immediately" -- I can think of several that might qualify offhand. So there's a problem with being vague that folks might not understand what you are trying to say. and I got to Disk 21 of 28 disks.

BabbyO
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Skip it.

I read FAST! I also am easily pleased (enough to finish a book anyways).

I couldn't fight my way through it. I never fought that hard with a book before. Usually, after about 5 pages or so, I know I can finish it or not. I gave this one hundreds of pages. Couldn't do it.

Life's too short. There are too many other great books.

Yes, I was curious as to what happened since I did get that far, but that's what the Wikipedia summary is for.

Isn't it interesting how some books can do this to you? Dune killed me the first few times I tried to read it. Then I went back again on a rainy labor day and I couldn't put it down. I plowed through the entire series and have read all of the pre-quels and "Dreamer of Dune" - basically a biography of Frank Herbert. I can't put anything down Dune related now.

I did the same thing with LOTR when I first tried to read it...now these are some of my favorite books.

Not sure what caused us to make peace with one another...but we finally did and I'm SO glad!

elektra
07-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Interesting that you thought the poster meant that she thought incest and adultery were "good things" because she mentioned that you get a better understanding of certain characters' motivations. I saw no judgement there or even mention of the incestuous couple in particular and she even qualified things by saying that "most" of the characters are not just good or evil.

Things are not always black and white. One of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen had me sympathizing with a horrible character even though I knew what he was doing was absolutely horrible and/or evil. It's called great story telling.

If that is not your kind of literature, or if you feel the need to qualify every character in a way you can understand in more basic terms then by all means feel free to put the book down. Life is too short for sure.

BTW, I have had trouble getting through book 2 of Game of Thrones, but not for the same reasons- I just think it can be slow.

boogiemomz
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Sorry I've been out of touch here, I was away from the boards for a bit. Thanks everyone for the input. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggled. I'm not necessarily ready to give up on it yet, I have a feeling I could love it, just needed to hear that others found it a bit slow at times too I guess.

I think the point of this particular series is that you are being manipulated by a master storyteller. You are feeling exactly what you are supposed to be feeling. Sometimes he upsets expectations, sometimes he does exactly what you've been dreading, sometimes something completely wonderful and unexpected happens, sometimes everything gets turned on its head in an instant. Some readers enjoy the thrills of this sort of experience, and others do not.

See, that's the thing, that sort of experience sounds pretty awesome, it's just not happening for me yet. I'll keep wading and waiting for now and see how it goes. Then maybe I'll try watching, though I don't have HBO and don't know the best way to track down the TV episodes.

chiisai
07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm reading the first book, about halfway in.

I get interested in parts, or mortified, and then in others my eyes glaze over and I'm trying to remember who the heck they are talking about or not really caring. I feel like I'm wading through a thick thick pond, even when I enjoy it.

I tend to read it in 40 min. chunks two or three times a week (kiddo swim lesson time). Today I decided I might need to just watch the show to really enjoy it.

I'm not sure I'm going to finish the book. I'm kind of wondering if I would have enjoyed it more when I had the time to read it in 2 - 5 hour chunks of time (for me this was pre-kids). And I loved the Outlander and S. Plum series.

karstmama
07-22-2012, 08:42 PM
you know, i read the first one, finished it 3 weeks or so ago, and wasn't sure i planned to read any of the others. i didn't quite feel like i was slogging through, but wasn't racing breathlessly either.

(potential spoiler alert, though i think it's pretty vague...)

but - i keep thinking about it. for whatever reason, certain really mundane things bring a scene blaring to life in my head. and i really mean mundane...like going to the bathroom and i wonder if tyrion is going to be acting king like his father ordered. or sitting down to breakfast and wondering if khaleesa dany actually raises an army.

so it was a slow burn, but i think i'm hooked.

mommylamb
07-22-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm actually in the process of re-reading the books, and I'm enjoying them even more the second time through because I know who all the characters are this time. I'm picking up on so much stuff that I just didn't get at all when I read them the first time through.