PDA

View Full Version : Too Cheap for a Saltwater Whale bag

ZeeBaby
07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Any other options out there? I am debating on biting the bullet since everyone on here raves about them.

liz
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
honestly, I have had really good luck with Target beach bags. They are found in the purse/jewelry section. Bought mine years ago for 10$. hth

candaceb
07-04-2012, 05:49 PM
LL Bean adventure tote, though it was better when they had 6 pockets.

http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58372?feat=sr&term=Adventure+tote&productId=849175&un_jtt_redirect

AnnieW625
07-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I have been using my canvas shopping bags, but need something larger as well. I am going to get an LL Bean large tote, I think I will like the versatility of it. We usually put stuff in our Bob's basket as well and or we make DD1 carry the bucket or her chair (which has a carry strap)

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
LL Bean adventure tote, though it was better when they had 6 pockets.

http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58372?feat=sr&term=Adventure+tote&productId=849175&un_jtt_redirect

:yeahthat:

geochick
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
If you'll be using it for the beach, go with the Whale, or another with a mesh material. I LOVE how sand just drips right out of the holes after a day at the beach. I'd give up grocery money for my Whale Bag.

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
This one is like the LL Bean:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536503

AngelaS
07-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Bite the bullet. It really is a fabulous bag. :)

DietCokeLover
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Bite the bullet. It really is a fabulous bag. :)

I bought one last month and I have never been so excited about a tote bag before in my life.

Kindra178
07-04-2012, 07:40 PM

I bought one last month and I have never been so excited about a tote bag before in my life.

Yes. For the few dollars more, it will transform your pool and beach days. I felt guilty about spending the money too, especially because I have two llb totes that are in perfect condition.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

wellyes
07-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I bought a beach cart, love it. Carries bag of toys and towels and extra clothes and sunscreen, plus can bring my sun shelter, kids cot, beach chair.

WatchingThemGrow
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, bite the bullet. I gave one to my mom (who lives near the beach) and at first she said, "Oh, I have lots of beach bags...don't need this one, etc." a year later, she visits and saw me loading one into the van for swim lessons. She exclaims, "OH, my goodness! I cannot believe how much I like that beach bag you gave me. I got rid of all my others."

ZeeBaby
07-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks ladies! I have three cheapie bags already. All work fine, but we are going on vacation next month and of course mama wants something new lol.

trickyhop
07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
So I had to look, didnt know what a saltwater bag was. Saw on their website that they do have the slightly irregualars bag marked down to 31 if that makes it any easier :wink2:

ZeeBaby
07-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I bought a beach cart, love it. Carries bag of toys and towels and extra clothes and sunscreen, plus can bring my sun shelter, kids cot, beach chair.

I am getting a beach cart for our Outerbanks trip next year. Really excited about. Getting the Tommy Bahama one from Costco.

squimp
07-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I hated the Whale (ducking). I found it too stiff and scratchy. Luckily I could sell it quick. For the pool, I like the Scout pocket rocket. We also have a big LE canvas tote that is pretty awesome.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-04-2012, 08:52 PM
not cheaper, since it's $35 normally (though last month the special was you could get them for $10, so i got a few extra though that deal), but i use a Large utility tote from 31 Gifts as a pool/splashpark bag. i like how it's totally open in the top..i can throw everything in there so easily. there are no pockets but i find that it doesn't matter bc i like to keep some things seperate (thermal bag, etc) so i just throw entire bags in there.

the Whale bag looks cool, but we never go to the beach (it's either pool or splashpark) so i dont' really need a mesh bag. Also, I also want something that's big enough to carry big things like a PuddleJumper, and has an opening big enough so a can easily throw things in while carrying a toddler.

trickyhop
07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I must never buy anything without checking with you ladies first its official:)

Melaine
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I hated the Whale (ducking). I found it too stiff and scratchy. Luckily I could sell it quick. For the pool, I like the Scout pocket rocket. We also have a big LE canvas tote that is pretty awesome.

Deal for those at plumdistrict (this is not a referral). 20% off code tonight too...never heard of Scout bags but I'm looking at them for a gift.

http://www.plumdistrict.com/moms/discount/everywhere/home-and-garden-deals/scout-by-bungalow-plum-steal-15-for-30-toward-scout-bags-bins-and-more-online-at--qxwyrT

Green_Tea
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM

This is what I use, too. Much easier than carrying a bag over my shoulder while herding three kids. It holds a ton of stuff and is super maneuverable.

Twin Mom
07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
OP there are usually alot of groups that coop the SWC bags. You can get a better price if you buy through one of them.

pastrygirl
07-05-2012, 09:19 AM

I have the Whale and Dolphin and find them too scratchy to carry (shoulder carry, or even against my leg if I hold the straps in my hand). I only use them if someone else will be carrying them.

daisysmom
07-05-2012, 10:30 AM

I felt the same way (double ducking too). I got three saltwater bags, 2 for us (in 2 different sizes) and one for my sister. My sister and I still use the whale for when we are at the beach for the week and heading down to the sand every morning. We also leave that bag at the top of our dock/walkway to the beach each night so I don't mind it getting rained on, and in it we keep all of our beach toys. But for carrying around to the pool (we go to the pool daily, or more), it drove me crazy our first year. I use either the LE canvas tote or more recently, fun patterned Scout brand bags. They are super ligth, and fit towels etc., and are water proof. We only have 1 DD who is 5 so that might be the reason too, we don't need to worry about keeping things separate. I love the scout bags though. I fully acknowledge that I am the only one on here that didn't like the saltwater bags though :)

urquie
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I love the Ikea bag for the beach! Accidentally spilled baby powder in it and all the sand poured right out. :applause: Baby powder was used to easily get the sand off DD's hands. :)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/17228340/

hellokitty
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
not cheaper, since it's $35 normally (though last month the special was you could get them for $10, so i got a few extra though that deal), but i use a Large utility tote from 31 Gifts as a pool/splashpark bag. i like how it's totally open in the top..i can throw everything in there so easily. there are no pockets but i find that it doesn't matter bc i like to keep some things seperate (thermal bag, etc) so i just throw entire bags in there.

the Whale bag looks cool, but we never go to the beach (it's either pool or splashpark) so i dont' really need a mesh bag. Also, I also want something that's big enough to carry big things like a PuddleJumper, and has an opening big enough so a can easily throw things in while carrying a toddler.

I have the older version of the LL beach bag that others have raved about, and I do love it. However, I went to the pool last wk and noticed many moms using the 31 utility tote. What a GREAT idea, I actually have one, but it's one I like to use around the house. I happened to go to a 31 party on Monday and went ahead and ordered one, just for outdoor use, and there is a new see through lid (elastic) that can go over it now, to keep sand out, etc.. With 3 kids, even though my LL Bean can do the job, it is also so super bulky, I'm really hoping that I like using the 31 utility tote better, in fact, I think I will, just due to the width, I won't be digging around as much, like what you do with a tote bag.

pastrygirl
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
the Whale bag looks cool, but we never go to the beach (it's either pool or splashpark) so i dont' really need a mesh bag. Also, I also want something that's big enough to carry big things like a PuddleJumper, and has an opening big enough so a can easily throw things in while carrying a toddler.Just an FYI, I carry two Puddle Jumpers in my Whale, along with diaper supplies, sunscreen, towels, etc. I still don't like it, though. I just wanted to note that it's huge and wide open, and can easily fit Puddle Jumpers.

mypa
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a whale bag and while I love the pockets and how much it can hold I find it very heavy and cumbersome to carry. Now, I am a wheeled cart convert. Picked this one up for cheap from Ikea. The handle clicks up and down, easily rolls around, and is lightweight and wipeable plus it's cheap at $13.99 (w/Ikea Family card)!! Even the kids can roll it around.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50212684/

It's not huge but is big enough for us and I can carry a smaller, more manageable bag over my shoulder (like the medium size LLBean tote).

Carrots
07-05-2012, 09:55 PM

You aren't alone. I have a whale and really don't like it.

It is a very roomy bag, but (for me) it gets heavy FAST. Like other have said, I find it scratchy and uncomfortable on my shoulder. Sand does come out easily and I spray the whole bag down when we get home from the beach, but sand also gets IN easily through the bottom because of the mesh.

I still use it though. It was a second and I can't see any defect.

We have a beach cart too and I love it. Now the whale goes in the cart.