PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to convert mini dv tapes?

Globetrotter
07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I am finally ready, after all these years, to convert our mini dv movies to digital files for the Mac/DVDs. I would like them to be in little "clips" for easier editing and naming/filing/sharing. Is there an easy way to do this? Is it worth paying for a service? I would be devastated if they got lost! ETa: I would prefer a local service in the bay area, so I could transport them myself!

ETA: these are camcorder mini dv tapes.

kochh2
07-04-2012, 08:16 PM
i'll be watching for other options- my FIL recently got a DVD recorder to do just this, but it doesn't help us, since he has millions of old home movies and is taking a loooong time to do them, soemday i hope to burn ours to DVD with his, but i know the feeling- when we had wildfires this summer, they were among the irreplaceables i packed int he van just in case. i now store them all ready to be removed again if need be.

happymommyof2
07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I saw in the last Costco mailer that they are providing this service. We only have a few to convert to DVD, not sure how many you have to convert.

Here's the link I found on their page:

http://www.costcodvd.com/services_and_pricing.aspx

infomama
07-04-2012, 10:19 PM
We sent some treasured slides to ScanDigital in CA to be scanned and they did a great job. I am sending my wedding negatives to them this month to be put on a DVD as well. I would recommend them wholeheartedly. They do video to DVD.
www.scandigital.com

citymama
07-05-2012, 03:34 AM
I saw in the last Costco mailer that they are providing this service. We only have a few to convert to DVD, not sure how many you have to convert.

Here's the link I found on their page:

http://www.costcodvd.com/services_and_pricing.aspx

Thanks for this info! I, too, need to do this and would be devastated if they were lost. I will look into this or into a local person who will do it in-house rather than wherever Costco would do it.

So are camcorders digital now? How do you back them up? I bought my $$$ mini-DV camcorder back in 2006 and continue to record on mini DVs! Or does everyone just use their cameras/phones?

Globetrotter
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Thank you! I will check out Costco and scan digital. Scan digital has an option where we can drop off in person.. Ooohhhh.. And they are not too far. NPR has had scan digital incentives during fundraisers (with donation of x amount) but of course I never got my act together to do it :(

City mama, I think these are digital files (?) but mine was purchased in 1999. We have 15 untouched tapes to convert so I am feeling overwhelmed! I'd like them to be indexed, so I think it will be worth the cost for me.

Nowadays we use the flip and my DSLR has a video option. It really doesn't take the place of a camcorder for longer events, but I tend to do short clips.

Mikey0709
07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
What timing - - love to hear recommendations....

Any idea of how much something like this cost? as i have MANY old tapes to convert - and even ANCIENT 8mm home movies from my family i need to do something with!

I was going to check out costco since i have bulk - - but clueless as to how much this costs? Is it per movie? per tape?