PDA

View Full Version : How did you get to know your neighbors? Ideas needed...

daisyd
07-04-2012, 09:29 PM
So we just moved to a new neighborhood. Unlike the densely populated cities we've lived in, this one is more rural and we don't readily run into people except say at preschool or the town library. Any ideas for getting to know the neighbors? Thanks!

hillview
07-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Have an open house - we did when we first moved here. We invited the whole street. We met everyone and it was lovely. From there you can organize smaller get togethers if there are folks you hit it off with.

GOOD LUCK!

daisyd
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks Hillary, I so wish I could do that. We intended doing that but unpacking has taken a back seat with things getting crazy busy at work for me and DH. Plus our home's a fixer upper that we're hoping to do up in stages. Feel a bit self-conscious about the hole in the deck (from the hot tub being removed) our antique kitchen (ceramic sinks anyone ?), overgrown yard...you get the picture.

jjordan
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
If it's a fixer-upper, the best time to have people over is IMMEDIATELY so that they know you haven't had time to get to everything. Then, when it's been 2 years and you still have the hole in the deck, they've been your friends for 2 years and they aren't going to hold the hole against you. :)

ellies mom
07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
If it's a fixer-upper, the best time to have people over is IMMEDIATELY so that they know you haven't had time to get to everything. Then, when it's been 2 years and you still have the hole in the deck, they've been your friends for 2 years and they aren't going to hold the hole against you. :)
Exactly!

I realized recently that the most fun I had entertaining was when I had nothing, when there were 5 of us living in a two bedroom apartment, when we didn't have enough chairs or dishes for everyone and the dishes we did have didn't match. Somehow I became an adult and all of a sudden I wasn't entertaining because I only have service for X many, or I don't have enough chairs for a sit down meal or my house isn't how I want it to be or.... Well, it turns out, there are a billion reasons and the result is we never have people over. The thing is no one cares about those things, or at least anyone you would want to be friends with won't care. So throw a housewarming party, invite the neighborhood and have a great time.

Giantbear
07-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I live in a suburb, not really rural but not a city. When we moved in, i just walked over to my neighbor and said hi. Periodically, when i see him outside with his kids, dd and i go over to say hi and play and he does the same. Just kind of happened.

waitingforgrace
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Be outside as much as you can during peak times in the neighborhood - when people get home from school/work, walk the dog, play outside with the kids, etc. Have some cold bottles of water, lemonade, beer, whatever on hand and offer it to neighbors as you introduce yourself.

Say "hi" to people when they walk past and introduce yourself. Strike up conversation asking about the person's favorite restaurant close-by, best dry cleaner, etc. Even if you have your preferences already in the area it's a place to start in getting to know neighbors and can quickly help you find common ground.

roseyw
07-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Have like an outdoor BBQ party during one of the days at the weekend. Its the time when most people are at home, and most members of a street love a little get together, and they will be very welcoming.

P.S. don't be afraid to just go round, ring the door bell and introduce yourself and your family.

TwinFoxes
07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
I totally agree with the open house, you can even write a cute poem in the invitation about buying a fixer upper, so be prepared. In a year when it's all done have them back to ooh and ahh.

Btw, some ceramic sinks are nice! If you have a French country kitchen stainless might look out of place. :) That wouldn't necessarily be high on my list.

Melaine
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Our neighborhood is not the friendliest. We have met people through taking cookies during the holidays. I hope we might see a few more people once we do the lemonade stand!

daisyd
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks everyone! I like the point so many of you made about not letting the "fixer upper thing" hold me back. You're absolutely right about not having matching dishes not mattering about friends. Thanks for the perspective :)