PDA

View Full Version : I can't get anything done!!!

Melaine
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
DS never sleeps during the day. He is fussy all day long and still often wants to nurse 30 minutes out of an 1.5-2 hour time block. I still have to cut him off or he will keep nursing. He has been up since 5:30 and not closed his eyes once (it is 9 AM). He has nursed 4-5 times during that same period. Some nights he will sleep a nice chunk of time other nights he is still up every two hours. He is on zantac, I've completely cut out all dairy and am block feeding. He is still so fussy and his poop is still green. AND he is 11 weeks old and his jaundice is STILL not all the way down. I know that none of this is super uncommon but I feel so angry when I talk to my friend whose baby has been sleeping 9-10 hours a night for weeks and is HAPPY almost the entire day. I just want to enjoy him and I feel so stressed. And I hate that I can't make him happy and I hate the feeling that I am always trying to figure out what is wrong.

crl
07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I am so sorry. The newborn stage is tough and yours sounds extra tough. :hug:

Catherine

queenmama
07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Hugs, mama! Our babies are about the same age, IIRC, and mine's not a great sleeper yet, even without reflux! Some nights she'll sleep 7 or 8 hours, nurse, then sleep 3 or 4 more, but juuuuust when I start to feel human again, she'll want to nurse every 2 hours.

I have a point! I think there is no normal for us at this stage. We have to cater to their every whim, that's about the only consistent thing. ;)

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

amldaley
07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I could have written the same post!

I had to reduce (almost eliminate) wheat, hold her upright for 30 minutes after each nursing, and use the Beco to get some stuff done. I also had to cut out chicken and eggs. I am returning to being a vegetarian as of today, so I'll see if that helps at all.

She is such a light sleepe that I have to send DD1 to Little Gym 3 hours a day to get DD2 to sleep.

We

And her BM's are still not quite right...(good gracious - I swaer she just pooped on que when I wrote that!!!!!!!!!!!!)

daisymommy
07-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I am so sorry.
I am right there with you in the trenches! typing with one finger right now, colicky baby in my arms :(

amldaley
07-05-2012, 09:32 AM
A couple more thoughts...

DD2's pediatric pulminologist consulted with her Gastro colleague. He said NOT to use swings that sit them too upright nor car seats for just sitting them in b/c the angle is bad for reflux babies and puts too much pressure on them and can make it worse.

After holding her upright for 30 minutes, I find the only place she really wants to nap is laying flat. She sleeps in her rock and play only if I am sleeping, too.

Is he getting burped really thoroughly? Is he gassy? DD2 went through a two week bought of HORRIBLE gas - she barely slept and fussed CONSTANTLY.

KpbS
07-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry! Your post brings back memories for me and my palms started sweating while reading it! Can you talk to your ped about starting Prevacid? It is much more effective than Zantac although it takes 10-14 days to become fully effective. My DC were night and day different with proper reflux management. :hug:

hellokitty
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry, this is a really tough stage. They either want to nurse or be held all of the time, even to sleep. How is his weight gain doing? Also, I wanted to point out that he is at the period of possibly going through a growth spurt right now, so that could also explain why he wants to nurse so much. :hug:

gatorsmom
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I went through that with Greenbean. We tried everything- reflux meds, I limited my diet, differnt sleep positions, different bedtimes, etc. Finally 2 things helped- the Moby wrap and the Graco SweetPeace swing. Greenbean's issues were due to his SPD, I'm sure of it.

To moms of colicky babies, don't rule that out. Try putting baby to sleep in total darkness and quiet, try with a noise machine and some light, try lots of different things that affect their senses. SPD is more common than many people think. Just my $.02.

Hope you and baby get some rest soon.

mommylamb
07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Sorry you're going through that. DS1 was a tough baby. I've been very lucky with DS2, but even though he's a happy baby and easily soothed, he's still not a good day time sleeper and also wants to be held a real lot. When I'm at home, I wear him a lot. That's the only thing that lets me get stuff done.

lmh2402
07-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry! Your post brings back memories for me and my palms started sweating while reading it!

OMG :yeahthat: i started almost hyperventilating.

no advice. just :hug:

DS was an extremely challenging baby and literally feel like my limited memories of his early months were of both of us crying, and me just trying to figure out what was wrong and how to jump through 10 hoops to fix it

and i can only imagine your stress b/c you also have the girls to care for

:hug:

i hope it's just a phase right now - maybe growth spurt - and by this weekend he'll be a little less demanding

queenmama
07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Bleh. Update on our day: she slept til 7:30 but hasn't taken a real nap all day. It's been 20 minutes here, 40 there. Nursing every 2 like clockwork.

I've been keeping track of everything since birth, waiting to see a pattern, but she's just not there yet. One week will be 3-4 hours between feedings, the next will have her wailing at the 1:30 mark. Growth spurt? How many do they have, cuz GEEZ if we didn't JUST go through this at 6wks.

I should be thankful (as is, not griping as I am!) we don't have your added struggle of reflux. I'm sure that makes it extra difficult. Not to mention, I don't have little kids to deal with as well! I'd say "I'd be pulling my hair out!" but my lovely hormones are taking care of that just fine. :(

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Nooknookmom
07-05-2012, 07:22 PM
DS never sleeps during the day. He is fussy all day long and still often wants to nurse 30 minutes out of an 1.5-2 hour time block. I still have to cut him off or he will keep nursing. He has been up since 5:30 and not closed his eyes once (it is 9 AM). He has nursed 4-5 times during that same period. Some nights he will sleep a nice chunk of time other nights he is still up every two hours. He is on zantac, I've completely cut out all dairy and am block feeding. He is still so fussy and his poop is still green. AND he is 11 weeks old and his jaundice is STILL not all the way down. I know that none of this is super uncommon but I feel so angry when I talk to my friend whose baby has been sleeping 9-10 hours a night for weeks and is HAPPY almost the entire day. I just want to enjoy him and I feel so stressed. And I hate that I can't make him happy and I hate the feeling that I am always trying to figure out what is wrong.

Zantac did nothing for DD2, Previcid and Mylanta Cherry supreme were lifesavers. Still she was on my boob all day and was up every 1-2 yrs at night. Naps were only taken IF she was still latched on, if I broke the latch she woke up!!

Can you go back to Pedi and look into the Prevacid? Have you cut out Soy as well?

speo
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
And I hate that I can't make him happy and I hate the feeling that I am always trying to figure out what is wrong.

This! I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. I had 2 reflux babies and we really didn't want to give any meds (I don't think that was the right decision in retrospect). It was hard!! All my sympathies. Hang in there ... it will get better.

maestramommy
07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
:hug::hug: Just seeing this now. Laurel didn't have reflux or dairy issues, but otherwise she was just like this. hardly slept during the day, fussy every waking moment, woke up multiple times to nurse. I posted on here pretty often because I was just so desperate and strung out. But the truth was there was nothing wrong with her, she was just that way.

There was a slight turning point around 3 months, when she would have SHORT periods of bliss. But thing really didn't get much better until she started moving around on her own.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:I've blocked out a lot of the first year. It was that horrible.

acmom
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry - that has to be so hard.

I second (or maybe its third!) the recommendation for giving Prevacid a try if the Zantac doesn't seem to be helping. We noticed a slight difference with DS when we tried Zantac, but then a whole world of difference once we switched to Prevacid.

Melaine
07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys! I guess maybe I should have put this in the BP, but I didn't really plan for it to be such a B! This was really a happier day for DS than most of last week. Today he was just needy and wanting to be held. Last week he was clearly in pain and cried even when held. I just wish I knew if I should even keep up the dairy-free diet and the zantac, or switch to another med.

Those of you who mentioned that maybe it's just how he is....that is definitely a very real possibility. The girls had reflux and colic, but on top of that they were just plain cranky, high-maintenance and super sensitive. I do think there was some SPD going on, especially with the way they still are about certain things. You couldn't count the posts I wrote about it.....I am wondering if DS would actually be JUST like the girls were if I wasn't nursing him. I wasn't able to BF them, so there was endless fussing and I felt powerless. At least I can nurse DS to calm him down.

It's just that I thought by SHEER willpower on my part one out of three babies would be happy.

KpbS
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Try the Prevacid. If in 2.5 weeks (with no dairy) he is the same you've got your answer. But he may be much, much happier. It's worth it IMO (this is from a mama of 3 babies with terrible reflux).

maestramommy
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys! I guess maybe I should have put this in the BP, but I didn't really plan for it to be such a B! This was really a happier day for DS than most of last week. Today he was just needy and wanting to be held. Last week he was clearly in pain and cried even when held. I just wish I knew if I should even keep up the dairy-free diet and the zantac, or switch to another med.

Those of you who mentioned that maybe it's just how he is....that is definitely a very real possibility. The girls had reflux and colic, but on top of that they were just plain cranky, high-maintenance and super sensitive. I do think there was some SPD going on, especially with the way they still are about certain things. You couldn't count the posts I wrote about it.....I am wondering if DS would actually be JUST like the girls were if I wasn't nursing him. I wasn't able to BF them, so there was endless fussing and I felt powerless. At least I can nurse DS to calm him down.

It's just that I thought by SHEER willpower on my part one out of three babies would be happy.

:hug::hug::hug: It's breaking my heart you feel this way. You're already doing everything possible. The slight light at the end of the tunnel was when Laurel was 7-8 months. I saw how amazing she was and is, and is going to be. That level of sensitivity, intensity, and "unhappy to be a baby" isn't for nothing. She's 3 now and still amazing me every day. When she isn't being a total pain in the neck:p

sntm
07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Oh, I hope it gets better. DS is starting to turn around, but we do still have bad days like you described. He nurses quick but frequent, never sleeps more than 3-4 hrs at a time at night, and usually wants to be held for naps. The rock and play sleeper finally allows me to put him in it once he's deeply asleep. A wise friend of mine says you parent the kid you have. It will get better, hon!

mom2MandC
07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I feel your pain!! My DD just turned 9 weeks old and has horrible reflux and major spitting up (so much I am afraid to lay her flat because you can hear her gurgle and choke) issues. I have slept with her on me on the recliner so she can sleep upright. We just switched to prevacid (from Zantac). Feeling guilty because I feel like my 4 and 2 year old don't get their fair share of attention and our house looks like a bomb went off! Not to mention she will fuss if not being held and when she falls asleep and you put her down she lasts a max of 5-10 minutes before "calling for Mommy". She is super sweet and will smile when you talk to her and "talk back" but man, not sure how to teach her that it is okay not to be held by me!! I do enjoy holding her so very much, just can't do it all.the.time.
We just bought the rock and play, but am concerned about her getting a flat head, as my eldest had plagiocephaly. I will let you know if we had any success with the prevacid or the rock and play!!!

cookiemonster80
07-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry - that has to be so hard.

I second (or maybe its third!) the recommendation for giving Prevacid a try if the Zantac doesn't seem to be helping. We noticed a slight difference with DS when we tried Zantac, but then a whole world of difference once we switched to Prevacid.

Yeah that- x100.

My Dd is 11 weeks today- we started Prevacid 2 weeks ago after trying Zantac for 3 weeks- Zantac did help a bit but the Prevacid was AWESOME. I was you last week- for real- and two nights ago dd slept 10 STRAIGHT HOURS! get the Prevacid- took a week to notice much change for us.

Also do the total elimination diet for 2 weeks and see if it helps- made a big diff for us and while inconvenient for sure it helped me drop most of the baby weight. Turkey, squash (all kinds), pears, rice(all rice products/ milk/flour/ hot cereal/rice chex), mushrooms, Avacados. Then once you are at a base line in a few weeks start adding things every few days and see if it makes a difference- I added cherries yesterday to try to get some vitamins and she seems to be tolerating it well.

Oh- and swaddling made a big difference for us too. Hang in there- just take one day at a time ( what my mom tells me everything we talk)

KonzaPrairie
07-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm so sorry! That sounds so rough!

I wanted to chime in on the jaundice issue--do you know what's causing it? My neighbor's baby had a breastmilk-induced jaundice and her pedi recommended formula feeding for just a couple days. It totally worked! She pumped and dumped for two days, he got bottles of formula, and his jaundice cleared right up. She's been breastfeeding ever since and he's now 8 months old.

I hope the feeding/sleeping evens out for you soon!

123LuckyMom
07-06-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this! My DS was just like that. I still shudder to think of those days. DD is a dream compared to him, and boy can I appreciate it! Nothing worked with DS but time, so I have no solutions to offer, just hugs!

Melaine
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm going to call and ask for Prevacid!!

JTsMom
07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Did you cut out soy too? Dairy and soy allergies frequently go together. I like coconut or almond milk products. So Delicious makes a coffee creamer and ice cream, and Earth Balance makes a dairy/soy free margarine. :hug:

Melaine
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Did you cut out soy too? Dairy and soy allergies frequently go together. I like coconut or almond milk products. So Delicious makes a coffee creamer and ice cream, and Earth Balance makes a dairy/soy free margarine. :hug:

I didn't cut out all soy but I definitely don't do any major soy products. I do almond milk (we've been drinking that for a long time anyway) and the Earth Balance spread. I know soy is in a lot of random places but I'm not eating anything with soy as a major ingredient (that I can think of). I'm definitely tempted to do the total elimination diet but I guess I just feel discouraged and frustrated about being off dairy for weeks with no clear answer. I think my diet has gotten worse, nutrition wise, because yogurt and cheese are staples at my house. Plus my recipe repertoire (which clearly needs expansion) took a major hit. I'm eating more crackers, meat, oreos because they are dairy-free!

I'm just wondering if I should go back to dairy and quit trying to figure it out and just cope with things as they are.

Melaine
07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
:hug::hug::hug: It's breaking my heart you feel this way. You're already doing everything possible. The slight light at the end of the tunnel was when Laurel was 7-8 months. I saw how amazing she was and is, and is going to be. That level of sensitivity, intensity, and "unhappy to be a baby" isn't for nothing. She's 3 now and still amazing me every day. When she isn't being a total pain in the neck:p

:hug: Thank you! This is such a good reminder. And my two girls are such a total joy, despite their sensitive temperaments (or perhaps because of it).

And I'm so in love with DS. My heart just fills up thinking about him. And I'm so excited about watching him reach each milestone and grow and see how the family interacts with him. As long as I know I have done everything to help him be happy, it's ok if he wants to be held every second. It's not forever, and I can cope with that.

amldaley
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I didn't cut out all soy but I definitely don't do any major soy products. I do almond milk (we've been drinking that for a long time anyway) and the Earth Balance spread. I know soy is in a lot of random places but I'm not eating anything with soy as a major ingredient (that I can think of). I'm definitely tempted to do the total elimination diet but I guess I just feel discouraged and frustrated about being off dairy for weeks with no clear answer. I think my diet has gotten worse, nutrition wise, because yogurt and cheese are staples at my house. Plus my recipe repertoire (which clearly needs expansion) took a major hit. I'm eating more crackers, meat, oreos because they are dairy-free!

I'm just wondering if I should go back to dairy and quit trying to figure it out and just cope with things as they are.

I know it's not easy, but please do consider eliminating wheat for a week or two and see how he does.

Melaine
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Oh and if anyone has figured out how to get dressed while wearing a sleeping infant in a Beco, please let me know.

Melaine
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I know it's not easy, but please do consider eliminating wheat for a week or two and see how he does.

I can try that....my sister says I should just do the rice fast, which is brown rice, fruits and veggies. I have done it before and I like that it's such a energy boost, but it is somewhat time consuming when you are tired and busy. It's also really appealing that I would lose some weight....maybe I'll cut out wheat now and try to do the rice fast in a week or so.

MSWR0319
07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
DS2 is a week younger than yours and I could have written this post. We switched to Nexium last week and I "think" it's starting to work. DS actually napped the last cople of days. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Philly Mom
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Oh and if anyone has figured out how to get dressed while wearing a sleeping infant in a Beco, please let me know.

I may have been crazy, but when my DD was at the stage where she needed to be held all the time, I showered when DH got home from work, and DD did not need to eat (although more than once, he pulled me out of the shower because he thought DD needed to eat, ughh). I would then get dressed in the clothes I was going to wear the next day (at least in the morning) and settle in with DD for the night. I mainly wore sweats and tanks or elastic waist shorts. Even now that DD sleeps through the night and does not need me right away in the morning, I still sleep in clothes that could be presentable for walking to Starbucks in the morning in case she does wake up early.

maestramommy
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
And I'm so in love with DS. My heart just fills up thinking about him. And I'm so excited about watching him reach each milestone and grow and see how the family interacts with him. As long as I know I have done everything to help him be happy, it's ok if he wants to be held every second. It's not forever, and I can cope with that.

This is how I felt about Laurel too, the first 6 months. Every time she woke up and cried I totally groaned, but as soon as I picked her up it all melted away and I couldn't stop cuddling her. Must've been some weird pheromone thing because I didn't have this reaction with the first two.

maestramommy
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I can try that....my sister says I should just do the rice fast, which is brown rice, fruits and veggies. I have done it before and I like that it's such a energy boost, but it is somewhat time consuming when you are tired and busy. It's also really appealing that I would lose some weight....maybe I'll cut out wheat now and try to do the rice fast in a week or so.

Make sure you get protein in there somehow, since you're nursing.

ast96
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I just wanted to chime in because I have an 11-week-old too. I cannot get ANYTHING done. She's a light sleeper, and recently I have been able to get her in the rock and play asleep, but inevitably, a brother screams, the dog barks, a door slams... and we are off to the races again. Even if she isn't prematurely awakened, she far prefers to sleep in my arms or armpit and I have very limited time to get dressed, unload the dishwasher, get the other kids dressed and fed, etc. I am trying to remember it's temporary, though I want to cry at my "to-do" list!

mctlaw
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
:grouphug: Just wanted to sympathize. DS 1 was like this and it was incredibly difficult on so many fronts.

mommyp
07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Just :hug::hug:
It is so tough, you are doing great!

JTsMom
07-06-2012, 01:10 PM
:hug: It is so frustrating, especially when you're exhausted. I would seriously consider dong the elimination diet. Maybe you can take one day to prep a bunch of stuff ? I know Dr. Sears has some good info.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/food-allergies/elimination-diet

He recs turkey for a protein source. Maybe you could roast a big one and freeze the meat so you have an easy healthy option?

Sweet potatoes are on there too- you can bake those in the microwave.

I know how frustrated you must be feeling, but if you can figure out the mystery, life will get so much easier.

Zachary was allergic to a ton of stuff at 6 months old, but now, at 2, the only thing he seems to react to is dairy, and he can tolerate me having a fair amount of it. I promise it's not necessarily forever that you have to do this for.

speo
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
They are all different, but I just wanted to throw out there that DS2 had major problems with me eating chocolate. (I saw oreos on your list).

cookiemonster80
07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Also be careful with veggies and fruit- especially uncooked veggies (especially broccoli, cauliflower) and all caffeine (it is so cruel that when you need caffeine the most you can't have it). I eliminated dairy a couple weeks before DD2 was even born as DD1 had issues with it and I wanted to start off ahead of the game, but kept eating fruits and veggies until she was 3 weeks old- when I stopped and only ate the elimination diet we noticed an improvement within a week, and when I've tried to add certain things back (bread, eggs) we can REALLY tell it affects DD2.

Melaine
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
So I've been off wheat for 11 days and poop is still green. How long should it take to help and when do I give up?

sntm
07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Fwiw, my DS had green poops that Resolved on their own, with time. I was off dairy for a month and over time the green poops got more golden brown in the mornings. He would have occasional streaky green poops during the day. Went back on dairy and no change. I also tried informal block feeding and that didn't make a difference. DS poops a lot (like 10-12 times a day) and I think that's why the poops are sometimes green. Fast immature gut. Just a theory though. What's your doc/LC think?

flashy09
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
So I've been off wheat for 11 days and poop is still green. How long should it take to help and when do I give up?

Is your elimination diet and his issues taking away most of the enjoyment of having a new baby? If so (especially since the diet doesn't even seem to be working) then I would give hypoallergenic formula a try. Maybe just supplementing so that he still gets some breast milk, but a lot less of whatever is irritating his gut from your milk. Of course we all know how great breast milk is, but so is your sanity and happiness and plenty of babies grow up just fine on formula.

That being said, is green poop always an issue? I know it mean irritation/allergy, but does the good of breast milk override the irritation if there is no blood?

Melaine
07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I've been off dairy for over two months now also. My ped says that if there is no blood that green poop is alright. Block feeding has made no difference. I would love to figure it out, but at the same time the stress of dietary restrictions when I already have little to no food prep time is really difficult. I'm hungry all the time! Also, I feel like I am resorting to poor choices because they are easy, like potato chips!

flashy09, that's exactly what I would like to know....how hard should I push to figure this out? Is it better for me to go back to a balanced diet (probably healthier diet) and just not worry about this. I don't want to do formula. He does seem to be happier, although he is still super high maintenance and rarely sleeps during the day. I'm coming around to the realization that much of this may be his personality v. health issues though. And he's three months old.....once we start solids (which I don't plan to do until 6 months) won't that help some of this anyway?

flashy09
07-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I've been off dairy for over two months now also. My ped says that if there is no blood that green poop is alright. Block feeding has made no difference. I would love to figure it out, but at the same time the stress of dietary restrictions when I already have little to no food prep time is really difficult. I'm hungry all the time! Also, I feel like I am resorting to poor choices because they are easy, like potato chips!

flashy09, that's exactly what I would like to know....how hard should I push to figure this out? Is it better for me to go back to a balanced diet (probably healthier diet) and just not worry about this. I don't want to do formula. He does seem to be happier, although he is still super high maintenance and rarely sleeps during the day. I'm coming around to the realization that much of this may be his personality v. health issues though. And he's three months old.....once we start solids (which I don't plan to do until 6 months) won't that help some of this anyway?

I hope I didn't sound like I was pushing formula... thought maybe you were looking for "permission" to give up BF'ing since I know how tough the elimination diet is!

Hopefully 3 months on he does get a little easier.....supposed to be the magic age for fussy/colicky babies....good luck!

You have cut out so much that I wonder if you should see a nutritionalist and make sure you are not going to become deficient in anything....that could help decide whether to add some foods back.

Simon
07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm really sorry that you are still struggling. We are about 3 months ahead of you (Ds3 is 6mo) and in a similar position with Ds3 except he doesn't have painful reflux. Still, he has itchy eczema and other rashes if I eat dairy, and even off dairy his poop is all wrong (color, consistency), he is getting hives and still itches but in different places. He is maybe allergic to penicillin. He was on Benadryl a few days and now we're trying Claratin. In fact, I need to call tomorrow and say that he's still itching and the clarain is causing spit-up. Sigh.

Okay, so in consultation with our pediatrican, I am not eliminating anything other than dairy, and I am only keeping basic notes about my diet when we notice a reaction. As you are experiencing and as our Dr. likes to remind me, I could drive myself crazy trying to eliminate one thing after another and still fail to find something. Plus, per recent research, it is possible that the continued low level exposure to the allergens in the breastmilk is a good thing. The equivalent of allergy shots that help reduce the histamine response over time.

Since we don't know what it could be and aren't working to try and figure it out yet, we are moving forward thinking that Ds3 could turn out to be allergic to one or many different things, possibly wheat, corn, soy, etc. Our plan is to do a blood test at 9 mo (we'll run an allergy panel w/the usual lead and iron tests that are traditionally done at 1 yo. Our ped likes to keep the number of blood draws down). Skin tests don't work as well for infants since they have such sensitive skin in general.

If I thought Ds3 were more uncomfortable, or had pain that could only be managed by altering my diet, then I would likely pursue it. But at the moment I think this is the best plan of action for all of us since it reduces a lot my strain. I should also say that our ped didn't want me to worry about all the hidden dairy or baked milk products, just the main (milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt, etc) so Ds continues to have some minor exposure. For starting solids, we'll stick to single fruits and veggies and avoid wheat and other grain cereals, just in case.

jjjo1112
07-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm right there with you :) DD3 is almost 3 months old and by far the most high maintenance of my children. I did eliminate soy and dairy from my diet but there really wasn't a noticeable difference, so I'm eating it again. She is on prilosec after trying zantac and I do notice a difference with that- she doesn't scream when she spits up anymore. I also just recently did a 6 day trial of Nutramigen formula. I was at the point where if the formula was going to help her be more comfortable and cry less during the day, I was going to switch. I pumped for the 6 days and honestly didn't notice a difference on the formula. Now we are back to breastfeeding and I'm eating what I want. The baby is still fussy but is getting better week by week.

Melaine
07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
This morning his diaper was definitely yellow-ish brown, which I haven't seen since month 1. So I'm definitely going to give the no wheat another few days.

LBW
07-23-2012, 12:10 PM

If you had colicky twins, you should have been guaranteed an easy third baby. No fair!

Sorry you are going through this. Maturity and meds were the only things that helped my reflux/SPD baby. Keep trying things - you never know what will click with him. I, too, have (tried to) block out much of his first year. It was awful. The sleep deprivation was the worst -- so try to ask for as much help as you can.

Simon
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Yay! Some progress! That sounds like the kind of change we saw after I eliminated dairy so it sounds like you might be on the right track.

Another idea that occurred to me later, that might work for you, is a rotation diet of other allergens. The idea is to set up a 4-6 day rotation for other allergenic foods that you suspect so that you don't have to be on total elimination all the time and can, hopefully, see a pattern of reaction that fits with your rotation. I'm not an expert on it, as I've just been reading about it, but we might try it here.