PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist pricing

firstbaby
07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I am going to list a piece that we bought from Pier 1 and I don't know how to price it. It is a desk/dresser type piece - the side slides in and out to make it a four drawer (low) dresser or when slid out also a desk. It is in really good condition. I think we paid about $350 for it. Thoughts?

knaidel
07-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I am going to list a piece that we bought from Pier 1 and I don't know how to price it. It is a desk/dresser type piece - the side slides in and out to make it a four drawer (low) dresser or when slid out also a desk. It is in really good condition. I think we paid about $350 for it. Thoughts?

I find that with craigslist, you have to make it low enough for it to be worth the hassle for people to come and look at it in your house, vs. the store, and to pay with cash vs. cc. My first thought is to start around $200, and take it from there.

BabbyO
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I'd say you got sound advice above. Be willing to negotiate price, too...or know that you aren't and post it.

Also, you may want to take a look at pricing in the area for similar furniture. I know there may not be something really close, but look at pricing for desks & dressers of similar size, condition, and age. Use the pricing you see to gage what the market in your area will support. Also, look to see if the same piece has been listed for a long time or repeatedly. It could be an indication of what is too much in your area.

GL!

Melaine
07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Honestly I would try $100. But it is a good idea to check similar items. furniture like that goes low and slow on my CL.

vdrake71
07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
I told that you should expect 1/4 of the original price. Someone could have purchased the same thing on sale. At the same time, I would go higher than 1/4 and expect to bargin. I also sometimes start high and lower it every week, unless you want to sell quickly.