PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help Pls! Dx my kid's belly ache

amldaley
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
DD1 was sick with strep two weeks ago. Finished her course of antibiotics last Monday (June 25).

DD2 had a fever two days ago and cold symptoms.

I developed a nasty cold yesterday afternoon.

We have all three been napping all day. DD1 HATES napping so I know she needs it.

Yesterday she felt fine with a normal to hearty appetite.

Slept in with us last night due to thunder.

Asked for a chewy granola bar this morning and had that with juice.

Normal BM.

Had a PB sandwhich for early lunch. Refused to drink anything (normally drinks constantly).

Told me she did not want to go anywhere today, just stay home (not like her).

Slept.

Woke up complaining of a belly ache. Refused foods. Tried a couple of bites of chocolate cake and refused that too. Drank a little water. Says she does not want to ear b/c it will hurt her. Her tummy is not hard to the touch but she is insisting that I rub it.

Now says it hurts really bad and is whimpering.

No fever.

Anyone?

What can I give her?

ETA: another BM...soft but not diarrhea. and she is asleep again.

gatorsmom
07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I"m thinking the antibiotics might have messed up her digestive system in some way. I'd give her Tylenol and keep her on the BRAT diet for a few days (bananas, plain rice, apple sauce and toast). You might want to give her some yogurt to help get beneficial bacteria into her system.

Hope you find some relief soon!

Tondi G
07-05-2012, 04:10 PM
It could be that her gut is imbalanced after the antibiotics. You should get some probiotics for her ... we like the Jarrow or Udos choice brands. Yogurt is good too but taking the powder is much more "active" and beneficial. I would give her light stuff .... apple sauce, chicken broth (with noodles if he will eat them), water, gatorade, peppermint tea.

Are you 100% sure it's not strep re-occurring? I know sometimes kids get a stomach ache with strep.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

missliss55
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
You might want to take her to the dr and have another throat culture done. Almost every time my kids have had strep throat they complain of a tummy ache. My dr said that fever, sore throat and tummy aches are classic strep throat symptoms. Hope your little one feels better soon.

pinkmomagain
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Another poster wondering about the reoccurance of strep for you little one. Tummy problems, headaches are often symptoms one might not think of with strep.