PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gotten glow stick chemicals out of fabric?

s7714
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
We had glow sticks out last night and my DDs took them to bed as they usually do to look at them until they fall asleep. This morning we noticed one of them had leaked all over one DDs sheet and nightgown. I already washed them once in warm for a extra long, heavy duty cycle, but they still reek of the smell. (They're currently running again in hot.) I'm probably just going to toss the nightgown. I don't care about the physical dye stain on the sheet, but I don't want my DCs sleeping on it if it still has the strong odor and probably chemicals. I know they say the stuff is non-toxic, but still, yuck!

Anyone gotten it out of clothing or fabric before? TIA

Mikey0709
07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd probably end up tossing cause of the worry over the glass in them. My kids always end up taking to bed too - but I'm more cautious after my son bit one open last summer. Seemed to be a popular poison control phone call and the glass seemed a bigger concern than the chemicals.

boilermakermom
07-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I didn't think there was glass in glow sticks. I assumed it was just chemicals and plastic.

s7714
07-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I didn't think there was glass in glow sticks. I assumed it was just chemicals and plastic.

Most of them have a small glass vial of some sort holding one of the chemicals. When you "snap" them and hear that crunching sound it's the glass vial being shattered so the chemicals can mix.

I looked all over for glass filaments and couldn't find anything. Nor could we determine which glow stick it was that leaked. I'm guessing it was a pin hole leak and mostly liquid seeped out vs. the glass (hopefully).

Anyway, I'm cutting the loss and am going to just get rid of both the bedding and nightgown. After at least 6 washes and soaks over the course of the day they still stink of perfume-ish chemicals. I needed to buy a new mattress cover or two anyway, so I guess this just moved it up the priority ladder!