PDA

View Full Version : Another update 7/19 UPDATE Do you think a Dr. can tell how big your baby is

KLD313
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
7/19. Today I had an appt with my midwife. She got word from the OB's that they do not think i'm a good VBAC candidate and want to take the baby at 39 weeks unless I go into labor first, they will not induce. If I'm he'll bent on having a VBAC then I need to meet with one of the OB's so they can tell me the risks. If they still won't go for it then I have to switch practices but at this point idk where to go. The only pros I see to this is I can have my tubes tied and I won't have to go through labor and then have a section anyway if it doesn't work out. The cons are c-sections suck, recovery sucks, it's not the best for the baby and not the best for me. Idk what to do at this point.

I had an ultrasound today at the perinatologists office. He's estimating the baby to be 5lbs already which apparently is supposed to be big for being 33 weeks pg. He recommends another U/S at 37 weeks to estimate size. He said he's not sure if I'll be able to do it naturally. Whatever, I'm still not 100% convinced he's right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just by looking at your stomach?

To make a long story short I have GD. I was taking the class about diet at my perinatologists office and the dietician told him my fasting numbers were high. He flippedout, put me on meds and told me my baby is already huge. I said I was bigger with my DD (no GD) and she was under 7 lbs. Plus I only gained 9 lbs and I'm 31 weeks how big could he be? So he wants me to go for an U/S.

I told one of the midwives today what he said and she measured me and I was measuring a month ahead. She said she thinks he's looking at me 'with trained eyes" and I shouldn't discount what he said.

For the record he's a really good Dr. that takes GD very seriously but I think this was a little much. Thoughts?

kaharris83
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
My doctor told me DS1 would be 7 pounds based on my belly measurements and he was 6lbs 14 1/2oz. I do think an experienced doc can probably give a pretty good guess, are they always right? No probably not.

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
My midwives were pretty good but I think it is an art that many Drs don't necessarily have. I never get the size stress...I feel like some care providers plant the seed so they can make an easy sell for induction or csection as the EDD gets closer.

KLD313
07-05-2012, 08:56 PM
My midwives were pretty good but I think it is an art that many Drs don't necessarily have. I never get the size stress...I feel like some care providers plant the seed so they can make an easy sell for induction or csection as the EDD gets closer.

The thing that gets me is he didn't even put his hands on me. He just said stand up, looked at me and said that's a huge baby. His partner guessed my DD's weight from an U/S and was off by an ounce but this was like he had x-ray vision. Then he said I know you want a VBAC so that's why I'm telling you to be extra careful.

queenmama
07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
No way. I don't even think they can tell by measuring. Two days before Henry was born I was told he'd be 7.5lbs and he was 9lbs, 4oz. :rolleyes: I didn't even ask with Agnes, but when I was in labor the nurse guessed 8.5 and she was 9, so she was closer.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

buddyleebaby
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
No, I don't. Every woman carries differently.

smilequeen
07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
No.

With DS2 my OB was certain he was a 10 lb baby because DS1 was 8lbs 6oz and I was measuring big. He was 7lbs 12oz.

With DS3, while I was in labor the hospital OB came in before my OB got there. She asked me about my other boys' sizes and then felt my belly. She looked at me and said, "You've got another big one in there". Yeah, he was 6lbs 8oz. Ha. My belly was enormous though.

klwa
07-06-2012, 06:45 AM
I've heard it both ways. If you're carrying a lot of fluid or too little (which an ultrasound will tell you), then the size of your belly is dispropotionate to the size of the baby. My SIL was told the day before DN was born that there was no way her baby was over 6 lbs. DN was almost 9. With that said, when I went in for one of my last appointments with DD, the doctor asked how much DS weighed. I told her (6 lbs 11 oz) & she said, this one is much bigger. DD was born at 8lbs 4oz.

mommylamb
07-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Um, I'm pretty doubtful of their ability to tell how big a baby is, even with an ultrasound. At my 38 week appointment at the high risk clinic (I also had GD and was going weekly at that point for ultrasounds), I was told that DS2 was 7lbs 3 oz. When he was born on his due date, he was only 5lbs 11 oz!

My fasting numbers were also high and I was put on glyburide. There is nothing you can do to control the fasting numbers. It's totally not your fault. I was able to control my sugars for all my other testing times, and with the glyburide, I kept them in check all the time, and look how tiny DS2 ended up! My midwife was amazed and didn't understand how I could have had such a small, full term baby considering my GD.

mom2khj
07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Mine was spot on with mine. But I don't think they are always right, even with an U/S.

KLD313
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
My fasting numbers were also high and I was put on glyburide. There is nothing you can do to control the fasting numbers. It's totally not your fault. I was able to control my sugars for all my other testing times, and with the glyburide, I kept them in check all the time, and look how tiny DS2 ended up! My midwife was amazed and didn't understand how I could have had such a small, full term baby considering my GD.

The fasting numbers are so stressful! I was put on glyburide and it got them down to 91 for the most part. I sent him my sugars yesterday and I thought for sure he was going to up my dose because they weren't under 90 but he just said everything looked good. That medicine scares me because my endocrinologist told me it wasn't FDA approved for use in pregnancy and she would use insulin. I trust them both but I don't want to inject myself so I'll stick with this.

ast96
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't think every doctor is right. But my first OB felt my stomach the day before I was induced, and she called "8 and a half pounds." He was born two days later at 8 lbs, 13 oz. My third baby had an ultrasound two days before he was born and they called 9 lbs, 2 oz. He was born 9 lbs, 6 oz. And this baby was measured to be about 8 pounds the day I was induced (due to Fifth disease complications) and she was born the next day 7 lbs, 15 oz.

JTsMom
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Absolutely not! Are you a member of your local ICAN group? I'd be curious what they have to say about that doctor. "Your baby is going to be huge!" is one of those bait and switch tactics that some doctors use to avoid VBACs.

AngB
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
The fasting numbers are so stressful! I was put on glyburide and it got them down to 91 for the most part. I sent him my sugars yesterday and I thought for sure he was going to up my dose because they weren't under 90 but he just said everything looked good. That medicine scares me because my endocrinologist told me it wasn't FDA approved for use in pregnancy and she would use insulin. I trust them both but I don't want to inject myself so I'll stick with this.

I was on glyburide for fasting numbers as well, it was fine, although I ended up waking up a couple times hypoglycemic towards the end and had to go back off of it the last couple of weeks. I also found that my fasting numbers were extremely dependent on how long I fasted. The longer over 8 hours I waited to test my blood sugar, the worse my numbers were. (My numbers for meals were always fine, great even.) I did my own research on glyburide before taking it and was comfortable that there weren't really any risks other than hypoglycemia. (My high risk doctor/MFM was happy with numbers under 95, my OB preferred them under 90.)

DS was 7.4 lbs at 36 weeks, (the ultrasound estimates were pretty close) but his blood sugar and everything was normal, and even at a year he is in the 95%ile for height and around 70%ile for weight, so I don't think his big size had much to do with GD.

mommylamb
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM

My midwife-- who I really really trust-- was the one who prescribed the glyburide. I felt pretty comfortable taking it. Obviously, would have rather not taken anything, but my fasting numbers were high no matter what I did without it.

I've heard there is a disagreement within the diabetic community as to whether your fasting numbers should be below 90 or below 95, so maybe that's why your doctor is happy with them where they are.

KLD313
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I've heard there is a disagreement within the diabetic community as to whether your fasting numbers should be below 90 or below 95, so maybe that's why your doctor is happy with them where they are.

The diabetes educator I saw does this program through the March of Dimes. She said the soon there is going to be a a big conference where they standardize the numbers for GD since they're is no standardization right now. She said they're going to make fasting under 90, 140 one hr after a meal and 120 two hours after a meal. I'm just glad he didn't up my dose. :)

KLD313
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Absolutely not! Are you a member of your local ICAN group? I'd be curious what they have to say about that doctor. "Your baby is going to be huge!" is one of those bait and switch tactics that some doctors use to avoid VBACs.

Honestly, I think he was saying this to me because I want a VBAC. I was seeing a different midwife and then decided to change he was the one helping me to find a pro-VBAC provider and assured me that the hospital was pro-VBAC. Otherwise, I agree. I think it's crazy that he thinks he can tell just by looking. U/S is Wed so we'll see what he says then but I still don't 100 percent trust that even though they guessed right with my first baby.

Pyrodjm
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Nope. I don't think they are very reliable when using an ultrasound either.

mctlaw
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Not in the way you described. I think a very experienced OB or midwife may be able to get some sense via palpation, but not by eyeballing you and not with ultrasound. The reasons have already been well stated by PP. I agree with JT's mom that your provider may been trying to plant a seed to make you doubt VBAC as a viable choice.

JTsMom
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Even if the baby is "huge", don't let that scare you. We've had a ton of "big" VBAC babies in my ICAN group. We've seen some of our members who were with providers who pulled this get bullied into inductions, which failed, then ended up with sections b/c of that. I just would hate to see you not get the birth you want for unnecessary reasons. Any time I hear VBAC, my protective nature jumps out.

KLD313
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Even if the baby is "huge", don't let that scare you. We've had a ton of "big" VBAC babies in my ICAN group. We've seen some of our members who were with providers who pulled this get bullied into inductions, which failed, then ended up with sections b/c of that. I just would hate to see you not get the birth you want for unnecessary reasons. Any time I hear VBAC, my protective nature jumps out.

I appreciate your perspective. I am fighting an induction if it comes to that. I had pitocin last time, after my water broke and I'm certain that's what led to my c-section. I'm not a fan of inductions at all, it was a horrible experience.

AnnieW625
07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
With DD1 my dr. estimated at 37 weeks 2 days that if she made it to 40 weeks she would be about 7/1/2 to 8lbs., he checked via u/s then. She was born at 37 w 6 d and was 6lbs. 6 oz. . I didn't ask with DD2, but I think that was because I didn't have as many u/s (just 2, one at 11 weeks for nuchal fold, and the one at 20 weeks). I could tell DD2 was smaller just by feeling in my belly. I was however surprised that she was only 6lbs. 3oz. and she was born at 38 w 6 d; so she stayed in a week longer than DD1.

123LuckyMom
07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I honestly think they're priming you for a section. They did it to me with DS. They did an ultrasound and tried to claim he was 14 lbs. I agreed to the section. (It's a long and bitter story.). He was 8lbs 9oz. My DD who went to 42 weeks with a planned home birth was 9lbs exactly.

sntm
07-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Apparently, there is a study about that. Doctors and ultrasounds were worst, midwives next and moms most accurate.

Jenn850
07-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I was at a teaching hospital where dd was born when they took some interns around and were showing them how to approximate weight. I don't remember what they thought dd was, but I asked the instuctor how accurate he generally was plus or minus... He just looked at me dumbfounded. He had never checked after baby was born to see if he was right, just did the procedure. I thought that was funny, but not if you were using that info to dissuade a vbac.

american_mama
07-10-2012, 02:10 AM
>> I asked the instuctor how accurate he generally was plus or minus... He just looked at me dumbfounded. He had never checked after baby was born to see if he was right, just did the procedure.

This irritates me. Why on earth wouldn't practitioners spend a little time finding out the birth weight to objectively gauge the accuracy of the providers/technician/equipment? Make a note of the estimate in the medical file, then ask for the birth weight at mom's 6 week checkup. Do that for every patient for a while, and you'll get a sense of your accuracy. Then maybe spot check yourself every so often, or when you get a new machine or new technician. I went to a high risk practice just for my ultrasounds, and they sent a short follow-up survey to moms after your due date. It was mostly about birth defects, as I recall, but may have asked about birth weight. So it is doable.

JBaxter
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
My OB nailed my last 2 perfect. Nathan he said he was guessing at least 9 but probably more like 9& 1/2 < he was 9lb8oz> 1 week before Jack was born I had an u/s and she told me 9.lb 11oz. 7days later he was born at 10lb 1oz Yes some can get very close but some are idiots.

KLD313
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Bumping for update.

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I had an ultrasound today at the perinatologists office. He's estimating the baby to be 5lbs already which apparently is supposed to be big for being 33 weeks pg. He recommends another U/S at 37 weeks to estimate size. He said he's not sure if I'll be able to do it naturally. Whatever, I'm still not 100% convinced he's right.

Don't let him get in your head so much. Ask him instead what baby's position is as, imo, it is a far more important gauge. They so frequently ignore position and get all set on weight. Weight you can't change; position you can.

KLD313
07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Don't let him get in your head so much. Ask him instead what baby's position is as, imo, it is a far more important gauge. They so frequently ignore position and get all set on weight. Weight you can't change; position you can.

All they said is he was head down. I won't be seeing him again anyway because he said my midwives can do the next ultrasound so im not so worried about what he'll say. They can make me schedule a c-section based on a weight estimate and im not doing it even if they try. He said the baby may be 7 or 8 lbs if I go full term, that's not exactly huge.

JBaxter
07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
All they said is he was head down. I won't be seeing him again anyway because he said my midwives can do the next ultrasound so im not so worried about what he'll say. They can make me schedule a c-section based on a weight estimate and im not doing it even if they try. He said the baby may be 7 or 8 lbs if I go full term, that's not exactly huge.

So he is suggesting a Csection due to size or did you have a previous section? One of the ob's in the group I go to got all pissy when Jack was measuring big and wanted me to schedule a section. I told him to kiss off. My DS3 was 9lb 8oz and the fact Jack was on track to weigh 10 didnt bother me. If I would have said OH just do it he would have scheduled me. Jack was way easier to deliver than my first who weighed 8lbs

KLD313
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
So he is suggesting a Csection due to size or did you have a previous section? One of the ob's in the group I go to got all pissy when Jack was measuring big and wanted me to schedule a section. I told him to kiss off. My DS3 was 9lb 8oz and the fact Jack was on track to weigh 10 didnt bother me. If I would have said OH just do it he would have scheduled me. Jack was way easier to deliver than my first who weighed 8lbs

I had a previous c-section. He didn't suggest it just said he couldn't give me odds of a VBAC working at this time. He's all hung up on whether or I pushed before. He keeps thinking I did and I keep telling him no, I only got to 5 cm and never progressed from that point. I don't think my midwives will suggest a section, they're very pro-VBAC.

JBaxter
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
I had a previous c-section. He didn't suggest it just said he couldn't give me odds of a VBAC working at this time. He's all hung up on whether or I pushed before. He keeps thinking I did and I keep telling him no, I only got to 5 cm and never progressed from that point. I don't think my midwives will suggest a section, they're very pro-VBAC.

I wish you luck. I know several of my friends who had VBACS. 3 of them was because the 1st baby was malpositioned. I wish you luck with your midwives

mmommy
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
I didn't read all of the posts, but I totally don't believe doctors can tell how large a baby is in the womb. Some may be able to give a good guess, but so much depends on position, fluids, etc. I don't even believe an ultrasound gives a good idea. With DD1 I was told that she would be 10 lbs and that my fluids were low. She was just under 7 lbs! I'd bet anything my fluids weren't low, but that they were being "measured" as part of the baby.

I believe achieving a VBAC is largely believing you can and having providers who support that. Best of luck. My VBAC was an incredible experience!

BabyBearsMom
07-13-2012, 09:05 AM

:hug: I got a lot of that when I was going for my VBAC. People saying that my body just might not be capable of dialating and trying to scare me by saying the baby was big etc. I really think it is just that a lot of doctors are nervous about VBACs. My midwives were much more supportive of it. Whenever someone said to me "You might not be able to do this naturally" I would say "that's true, but I still want to give it a try." Good luck!

JTsMom
07-13-2012, 09:24 AM
The peri isn't the midwives back-up, is he?

KLD313
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
The peri isn't the midwives back-up, is he?

No, there is a group of OB's that work with them.

KLD313
07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Bumping for update.

mctlaw
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Ugh! I am sorry! What were the reasons given that you are not a good candidate? It may be worth it to arm your self with some studies re: VBAC and attend the meeting w/ your OB. He cannot MAKE you agree to a C and what he wants to do with you now is play the dead baby card, I am pretty sure. If the sole reason for their unwillingness to allow you a trial of labor is size, I am pretty sure there is an ACOG bulletin that says estimated size alone is not a good a reason to cut.

Do you have a local ICAN chapter? Where are you? People travel from out of state to be attended by my doc (JT's mom knows him as well, I hope she does not mind me saying). Is such an arrangement at all an option for you?

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I was coming to post the ICAN suggestion too. I'm willing to bet that this practice never had any intention of giving you a VBAC and would have spun something to compel you to give up on the idea and trust them that the c-section is the only good, safe option. If you want other opinions or options, you'll need to look around for other groups (people change this late all the time, don't worry) or you can just roll with the c-section. It gets my goat when this happens b/c it seems like a bait and switch. Maybe I'm wrong though. Very best of luck while you consider what option feels best for you and your family!

mctlaw
07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Suspected macrosomia and postadatism are NOT contraindicated for a VBAC trial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16001462

KLD313
07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Ugh! I am sorry! What were the reasons given that you are not a good candidate? It may be worth it to arm your self with some studies re: VBAC and attend the meeting w/ your OB. He cannot MAKE you agree to a C and what he wants to do with you now is play the dead baby card, I am pretty sure. If the sole reason for their unwillingness to allow you a trial of labor is size, I am pretty sure there is an ACOG bulletin that says estimated size alone is not a good a reason to cut.

Do you have a local ICAN chapter? Where are you? People travel from out of state to be attended by my doc (JT's mom knows him as well, I hope she does not mind me saying). Is such an arrangement at all an option for you?

I think because of my gestational diabetes and the fact that they think the baby is big. Im not even sure why else, maybe because I never got to the pushing stage with my DD. They use that form where you plug in numbers and it tells whether or not you're a good candiate. It's BS. Yesterday I was leaning toward and today I'm pissed off and ready to fight. It's my body, my baby and i don't want to be cut into because they dont want to be sued. No, they can't make me be sectioned but they will drop and idk who to go to after that. This is my second provider as it is. Ugh!

I was going to work with a doula but I opted out last night. She said she would have helped me find a new place to go or tell me what to ask the OB but then my feeling was I didnt need her if I was going to have a c-section.

Our local ICAN chapter isn't active and the neighboring one wasn't that helpful. I'm in Danbury, CT.

I kind if just want to find a new place to go regardless since they're being like this.

KLD313
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
I was coming to post the ICAN suggestion too. I'm willing to bet that this practice never had any intention of giving you a VBAC and would have spun something to compel you to give up on the idea and trust them that the c-section is the only good, safe option. If you want other opinions or options, you'll need to look around for other groups (people change this late all the time, don't worry) or you can just roll with the c-section. It gets my goat when this happens b/c it seems like a bait and switch. Maybe I'm wrong though. Very best of luck while you consider what option feels best for you and your family!

You may be right but i think the GD is what changed their mind. I spent two hours with the midwives talking about VBAC before I switched to them so I was kind of blindsided yesterday and couldnt think straight. I go back Monday for a NST so I could find out more then.

mctlaw
07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Per the same link I sent you, gestational diabetes is also not a reason to deny a trial of vbac.

I can post on my local ICAN board and see if anyone knows a supportive provide near you.

essnce629
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
You need to change providers asap.

If you're open to driving about 45 minutes, Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt Manor, NY is supposed to be one of the most VBAC friendly hospitals near you. They have 6 midwives, birthing tubs in each room, and are one of the only hospitals in the nation that actually allow waterbirths. I drove an hour to give birth at my grandmother's house when I was pregnant with DS1 and it wasn't a big deal at all and I gave birth less than 2 hours after arriving. And being able to labor in water is a HUGE plus in my books. It may be the thing you need to relax you enough to be able to have a successful VBAC.

Hudson Valley Hospital Center
http://www.hvhc.org/patient-service/maternity-fair

And I'd definitely hire a doula asap. It's a must with a VBAC.

Multimama
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Can you get your doula back? My doula was incredibly helpful going for a VBAC with GD.

You mentioned in your first post that you weren't as big this time as you were with your first. There is a recent study that compared palpitation for size estimate with ultrasound for size estimate and mother's guess of size and found that of the three *mother's guess for size* was the most accurate.

As PP said, the ACOG does not recommend a c-section because of estimated large size because the methods for determining that are just too inaccurate. How are your fasting numbers now that you are on meds? As far as I have read there is no indication of increased risks with a VBAC for a woman with well-controlled GD. I *think* being on insulin does increase some of your risks (not VBAC-related specifically) if you go past 40 weeks, but from what I read you can reduce those risks significantly with regular NSTs, which it sounds like you have already started.

It sounds like they got nervous because you had a previous c-section combined with the GD and the fact that your baby is measuring big for dates. If it's encouraging at all I had a successful VBAC this year with GD and a baby who was measuring big for dates. You can do it with a practitioner who is supportive. So I would focus on trying to find one if you still want a VBAC. Maybe call your doula back and enlist her help? As I said I found my doula invaluable.

You mentioned you didn't get to the pushing stage with your first LO. What was the reason for the previous c-section? (Sorry if I missed it.)

mctlaw
07-20-2012, 02:38 PM

If you're open to driving about 45 minutes, Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt Manor, NY is supposed to be one of the most VBAC friendly hospitals near you. They have 6 midwives, birthing tubs in each room, and are one of the only hospitals in the nation that actually allow waterbirths. I drove an hour to give birth at my grandmother's house when I was pregnant with DS1 and it wasn't a big deal at all and I gave birth less than 2 hours after arriving. And being able to labor in water is a HUGE plus in my books. It may be the thing you need to relax you enough to be able to have a successful VBAC.

Wow, that place looks great! And yeah that on the doula. KLD313, I posted an inquiry for you on my ICAN board. I'll let you know if I get anything back. But that hospital looks like a great starting point.

KLD313
07-20-2012, 02:59 PM

You know this was my second choice. A midwife at another hospital that said I wouldn't be a candidate at their hospital recommended HVHC. It's about 40 mins from me and i know exactly how to get there. The only thing that stopped me last time was the doula said not to go there but I didnt ask why because I was leaning toward going back to the place where I am now.

I may get the doula back.

123LuckyMom
07-20-2012, 03:14 PM
If you remember my previous post I suggested your OB was setting you up for a section. Do not accept the ultrasound as accurate for weight! They estimated my DS's weight at 14 lbs!!! He was 8 lbs 7 oz, by the way. Now you know where you stand. I sincerely hope you find a new practice where you're comfortable, but if you don't, just remember, nobody can force to to accept an intervention! I wish someone had explained this to me. Even if they threaten you, they can not make you induce or consent to a section. You can stay with this practice and just keep saying no. You can wait until you go into labor at home, labor as long as you want, and then go to the emergency room of any hospital. You can not be denied care just because you refused to accept medical intervention you thought was unnecessary. It sucks to have to fight so hard, but if you don't want induction and a section, you do not have to have either. You just have to refuse to allow yourself to be bullied. I wish you all good things, and whatever you choose to do, I hope you make the choice you believe is best for you and your baby, and I pray you won't let anyone bully you or make you second guess yourself. If you choose a section, that's fine, but i hope you make sure the choice is yours!

KLD313
07-20-2012, 03:20 PM
To answer Multimamas questions, I cam get the doula back. My fasting numbers are OK but not perfect. I cant get them below 90 but maybe 91 or 92. They dint increase my dosage unless they're over 95 consistently. This morning it was 100 but I think I know why. I'm not on insulin, just 5 mg of glyburide at dinner.

My last birth was supposed to be at a birthing center. I was GBS pos and my water broke so I had to go to the birthing ctr for ABX and then they would send me back home. Theybtook my BP and it was really high. She gave me a half hr to get it down, it never went down so they observed me at the hospital and decided to keep me. Pitocin was started because I had no contractions. They stuck a BP cuff in me that basically made it impossible to get up. The pain got really and I had no way to cope with it because I couldnt move so I got an epidural. I progressed to 5 cm really quickly with a tiny bit of pit that was stopped and never started again. I never progressed past 5 cm and once I got to the 24 hr mark they suggested a c-section. My midwife asked the OB if she saw a reason why I didn't have ver vaginally and she said no. My midwife also didn't think there should have been a problem. I think interventions and being strapped to the bed were to blame and I really believe my initial downfall was being GBS pos. The official reason for the section was deep transverse arrest.

KLD313
07-20-2012, 03:23 PM
123luckymom, I do remember your post. All the things you just said are things I am considering. I may go into labor early, I did with DD but who knows. If I do there's no way in hell I'm going right into the hospital whether I'm GBS pos or not this time. I don't think they'll continue to treat me if I keep saying no so im probably better off switching now.

Multimama
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
To answer Multimamas questions, I cam get the doula back. My fasting numbers are OK but not perfect. I cant get them below 90 but maybe 91 or 92. They dint increase my dosage unless they're over 95 consistently. This morning it was 100 but I think I know why. I'm not on insulin, just 5 mg of glyburide at dinner.

My last birth was supposed to be at a birthing center. I was GBS pos and my water broke so I had to go to the birthing ctr for ABX and then they would send me back home. Theybtook my BP and it was really high. She gave me a half hr to get it down, it never went down so they observed me at the hospital and decided to keep me. Pitocin was started because I had no contractions. They stuck a BP cuff in me that basically made it impossible to get up. The pain got really and I had no way to cope with it because I couldnt move so I got an epidural. I progressed to 5 cm really quickly with a tiny bit of pit that was stopped and never started again. I never progressed past 5 cm and once I got to the 24 hr mark they suggested a c-section. My midwife asked the OB if she saw a reason why I didn't have ver vaginally and she said no. My midwife also didn't think there should have been a problem. I think interventions and being strapped to the bed were to blame and I really believe my initial downfall was being GBS pos. The official reason for the section was deep transverse arrest.

Well, the fact that your GD is controlled without insulin is good, I think. Your first birth sounds like it was an induction mess, which in a way is good for your second birth because it doesn't sound like there's any reason to think that your second birth will go the same way as long as you go into labor naturally. (So sorry you had to go through that though!) I hope you can find someone who will support you going for a VBAC. I have done tons and tons and tons of research on this and I don't see any reason why you aren't a good candidate. Sure, you're not a perfect candidate, but I was a less perfect candidate than you are and my very knowledgable midwife and OB were supportive. If a VBAC is what you want then it sounds like you have good places to start to find people who will support you. Go find them! :)

AnnieW625
07-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Just want to say good luck and that if I were in your shoes I would try my darnedest to get into the Hudson Valley place. If you are already having issues with the doula not giving you the full story (maybe she doesn't want to drive for 45 minutes, which would be stupid) of why she has advised you of the choices IMHO I think I would at least first try and get into this new place and then once you are in call her and tell her you are going to HVHC and that you would like her services, but that is where you are delivering.

KLD313
07-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Just want to say good luck and that if I were in your shoes I would try my darnedest to get into the Hudson Valley place. If you are already having issues with the doula not giving you the full story (maybe she doesn't want to drive for 45 minutes, which would be stupid) of why she has advised you of the choices IMHO I think I would at least first try and get into this new place and then once you are in call her and tell her you are going to HVHC and that you would like her services, but that is where you are delivering.

Thanks, Annie. I agree. I was going to email her and say that I changed my mind and would like her to work with me but I'm strongly considering HVHC and will that be a problem. If it is I'm sure I can find someone else.

JTsMom
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm not going to type out the string of expletives that flew out of my mouth when I read this, but trust me, it was lengthy.

Please don't give up. I know it sucks to switch at the last minute (I did it at 37 weeks b/c of my breech baby, who I went on to VBAC btw), but you deserve a shot at the birth you want. I think you've gotten some excellent advice, and I can't think of anything more to add at this point, but we're cheering you on. Go have your VBAC, and when you do it, be sure to let your current OB know he or she sucks.

KLD313
07-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm not going to type out the string of expletives that flew out of my mouth when I read this, but trust me, it was lengthy.

Please don't give up. I know it sucks to switch at the last minute (I did it at 37 weeks b/c of my breech baby, who I went on to VBAC btw), but you deserve a shot at the birth you want. I think you've gotten some excellent advice, and I can't think of anything more to add at this point, but we're cheering you on. Go have your VBAC, and when you do it, be sure to let your current OB know he or she sucks.

Haha! I'm sure ti was nothing worse than what came out of my own mouth. I'm getting more and more annoyed by the day.

I just don't get why they care if I want to put my body through trying and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

I just wrote to the doula and told her my thinking about switching to HVHC and if they travel to there.

Do you guys think I should just put up with my current practice until I get I somewhere else and then switch? I'm supposed to go Monday for a NST and tell them what I want to do. I kind of don't want to talk to the OB now but I don't want to schedule the c-section yet. Should I just say I'm not sure yet?

JTsMom
07-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Is there a real reason that you need the NST? If not, maybe reschedule for the end of the week just to buy time. I'd avoid even walking in the door there b/c they might invent some new crisis, and at the very least will probably try to freak you out. Hopefully you'll have something else set up by then and you can cancel. Are you planning on calling a new provider Monday morning?

JTsMom
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
And as for why, I highly recommend watching The Business of Being Born. It could be that they actually buy what they are selling, it could be b/c they feel it's more convenient for them, it could be fear based on ignorance, it could be money, it could be someone wanting to go to a special event or on vacation so they are trying to clear their schedule.

KLD313
07-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Is there a real reason that you need the NST? If not, maybe reschedule for the end of the week just to buy time. I'd avoid even walking in the door there b/c they might invent some new crisis, and at the very least will probably try to freak you out. Hopefully you'll have something else set up by then and you can cancel. Are you planning on calling a new provider Monday morning?

I think they're recommending it because I'm on medication for gestational diabetes. I have one scheduled for the end of the week too, they want to do two a week. I can try someone on Monday. I'm about to hire my doula back so they'll help me too. She just told me they do a lot at Hudson Valley Hospital so idk why she said don't go there initially, maybe I misunderstood.

AngB
07-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Gestational diabetes is a risk factor for stillbirth. It's standard practice at least in my area for anyone diagnosed with GD to get weekly NST's if it's controlled by diet/exercise, twice weekly if they are on any meds (even just glyberide), just to make sure baby is not in distress.

maiaann
07-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Doctors & US estimated DD1 to be between 8-9 lbs at 39 weeks. 2 weeks later she was born at 7.5 lbs. :6:

Multimama
07-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Gestational diabetes is a risk factor for stillbirth. It's standard practice at least in my area for anyone diagnosed with GD to get weekly NST's if it's controlled by diet/exercise, twice weekly if they are on any meds (even just glyberide), just to make sure baby is not in distress.

I thought it only increases your risk of stillbirth if you go overdue? My practice started NSTs when I was 40 weeks.

JTsMom
07-21-2012, 04:56 PM
I know little to nothing about GD, but several of our really active ICAN of Atlanta group members know a lot. Can I talk you into signing up over there? We have other people from out of the area, and we're an active, welcoming, supportive group. Plus, we already have a thread about you going. :)

http://www.icanofatlanta.com/

KLD313
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I know little to nothing about GD, but several of our really active ICAN of Atlanta group members know a lot. Can I talk you into signing up over there? We have other people from out of the area, and we're an active, welcoming, supportive group. Plus, we already have a thread about you going. :)

Well now you're piquing my interest, I guess I have to now. :)

essnce629
07-21-2012, 07:46 PM
And as for why, I highly recommend watching The Business of Being Born.

I'd actually recommend the newest film-- "More Business of Being Born." It's a 4 disk dvd set and the 4th dvd is devoted to VBAC info. The 3rd dvd is about doulas and c-sections. Each disk is an hour long.

More Business of Being Born
http://www.amazon.com/More-Business-Being-Alanis-Morissette/dp/B006GVN2CA/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342914078&sr=1-1&keywords=more+business+of+being+born

mctlaw
07-21-2012, 08:30 PM

:22:
Join! :waving4:

Multimama
07-22-2012, 12:05 AM
OP, when I was making the decisions you are now I found this blog post particularly helpful in understanding where my care providers were coming from when they discussed the risks of VBAC and RCS. I thought I'd post it here in case you find it useful too.

http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?p=2051

JTsMom
07-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Well now you're piquing my interest, I guess I have to now. :)
:D See you there!

KLD313
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
:D See you there!

I joined but didn't post.

KLD313
07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
If anyone is still interested in my saga, here's the latest. I went for the NST today. My favorite midwife, the one that was with me during my last birth was there. I told her how I was pissed and was leaning toward finding a new practice. She said I should just talk to the Dr. because all they want is for me to know the risks. She said their issue is that the longer I labor, the higher the chance of an infection I'd I end up needing a c-section. I'm not sure I get that but im going to look it up. She said to tell the Dr. I'm not comfortable doing a c-section at 39 weeks for no good reason. She said they won't want me to go past 41 weeks but she doesn't think I'll make it that long anyway and she said they'll do stuff to help me go into labor before that.

It turns out it was that damn MFM that recommended 39 weeks, he never said that to my face. He just said he couldn't tell me what my odds of a successful VBAC would be. The OB's who plugged all my info into their algorithm for success came up with a 37% chance of success.

So, I made an appt to talk to the OB but I think I'm also going to call around and keep my options open.

123LuckyMom
07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
It's always good to have options!

JTsMom
07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I joined but didn't post.

Go post your update! Did you find the thread that mctlaw started? She has a different user name there, but the title was something like VBAC hopeful in CT.

If anyone is still interested in my saga, here's the latest. I went for the NST today. My favorite midwife, the one that was with me during my last birth was there. I told her how I was pissed and was leaning toward finding a new practice. She said I should just talk to the Dr. because all they want is for me to know the risks. She said their issue is that the longer I labor, the higher the chance of an infection I'd I end up needing a c-section. I'm not sure I get that but im going to look it up. She said to tell the Dr. I'm not comfortable doing a c-section at 39 weeks for no good reason. She said they won't want me to go past 41 weeks but she doesn't think I'll make it that long anyway and she said they'll do stuff to help me go into labor before that.

It turns out it was that damn MFM that recommended 39 weeks, he never said that to my face. He just said he couldn't tell me what my odds of a successful VBAC would be. The OB's who plugged all my info into their algorithm for success came up with a 37% chance of success.

So, I made an appt to talk to the OB but I think I'm also going to call around and keep my options open.

Sure, they want you to know the risks=we want to terrify you with a bunch of stuff we make up on the spot. Tell them you want them to spend equal time talking about the risks of C/s, and you want actual stats based on science.

The longer you labor the higher your chance of infection?! What?! Are they assuming you're going to labor for a long time for some reason? What algorithm are they using? I'm calling BS on their 37% chance.

Please do call around- the sooner the better. Seriously, these people are throwing up every red flag in the book. You can try to fight, but why? If you're in labor, and nervous, and they are throwing a bunch of scary made up stuff at you, are you going to be in the mindset to fight? Midwives are great. I adore them, and choose them for myself too, but when the poo hits the fan, their hands are often tied, and they have to go with whatever the OB says. I will bet money that if you stay with them, the next line will be either your fluid is too low, or the baby is too big and there's no point in even trying, so why not go ahead and schedule now so that it will be more convenient for you. And at that point, it's going to be harder or even too late to get into a good practice, and you're going to be stuck.

KLD313
07-23-2012, 05:46 PM
I did find the thread, I'll post the update.

I don't get the infection thing either. I will definitely ask about the risks of a repeat c/s. From what my midwife says this OB is really laid back and not pushy and she would be really surprised if she didn't go along with it. I asked my midwife what she would do I'd she were me and she said without question she would try for a VBAC. She said she had a VBAC years ago when people still thought a rupture was highly likely. She said I could just ignore what the OB says.

The algorithm is actually the one i posted about awhile ago. When I did it with my info I got 37% too and then some other people did theirs and posted what they got. I'll try to find the thread.

Well, if I get the doula she should help me with the fighting. I am going to call around though.

Here's the thread with the success calculator. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=433329

JTsMom
07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I think the calculator is ridiculous. I got 43%. Of course, my baby was breech, and they didn't even ask about that, so I guess if I was speaking to them in real life, they would have told me my chance was 0%, bu there you go. I never got past 3.5 cm the first time around, but the "official" reason for my C/s was suspected fetal distress, so my score was higher b/c of that too.

I don't know if the regs for doulas are different in different states, but I know that hear, they can not help you fight. They can remind you of your wishes, but they aren't even supposed to interact with the medical team. (For the record, my OB is not like that, nor is anyone I would rec, but that is the rule.)

I'm going to PM you back about the other stuff so I can quote, and I started a new ICAN thread b/c I don't think most people were looking at the other one b/c they don't know of CT providers- I wouldn't have opened it if I didn't know the story.

mctlaw
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Haven't been on much past couple days but just wanted to say you can do it! Good luck with the OB, but I definitely second JT's mom and other PP re: keep looking at alternative providers. It is so hard when you are in labor and in patient mentality, to fight against what a medical provider is telling you is the only safe thing to do.

I know you'll get lots of BTDT from the ICAN board, so I'll leave it at that. Just know I'm rooting for you!

KLD313
07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't know if the regs for doulas are different in different states, but I know that hear, they can not help you fight. They can remind you of your wishes, but they aren't even supposed to interact with the medical team. (For the record, my OB is not like that, nor is anyone I would rec, but that is the rule.)

I'm going to PM you back about the other stuff so I can quote, and I started a new ICAN thread b/c I don't think most people were looking at the other one b/c they don't know of CT providers- I wouldn't have opened it if I didn't know the story.

The doula, from what I understand will slow things down and ask for some time alone to figure out what I want to do. That's basically what I was told by them, they also know my midwives and the OB's. When I had my DD my midwife advocated for me against the OB. I never even saw the OB until we decided to do the c-section. My midwife kept holding her off.

I think there are a lot of things that stupid calculator don't take into account.

I'll respond to the PM later.

KLD313
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
They've changed my appt to meet with the OB twice now. The one I was supposed to see can't see me until august. Now I'm waiting for the midwife to tell me the next best one to see. Maybe they'll push the appt off for so long I'll just go into labor. Yesterday while strapped to the monitor for my NST i was having consistent off the chart contractions. They thought I was in labor but I wouldn't let them check my cervix. Obviousy I wasn't but these crazy strong contractions happen daily.