PDA

View Full Version : How many of each kind of dish to buy - Corelle is on sale

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2012, 06:01 AM
We grabbed 2 sets of the 12 piece Corelle last week b/c we were staying at someone's house and their dishes were huge, not easy to replace. I knew we were going to drop them. Please help me figure out a good number to purchase to round out our collection.

I got a $10 off $40 bounce back coupon, filled out an online survey for a $5 off $20, AND the outlet center has a $7 off $40 coupon they will also apply (YMMV.) The current sale is 50% off all plates, bowls, and cups if you buy 12 pieces.

Last night I grabbed some more open stock, and now I have:

8 dinner plates
12 luncheon plates
8 bread and butter plates
12 cereal bowls
8 small divided plates
3 1 qt. bowls - for serving
2 oval platters
5 clear plastic lids that aren't tight, but fit over/stack the luncheon plates, divided plates, and the 1qt bowls

What other pieces do you have and how many of them do you have? Keep in mind we have a family of 5 and pretty routinely serve up to 12 people at least a few times a month, if not a few times a week, when we have an actual home. (We are between homes now.)

We are not using the bread and butter plates much, but I did use one last night as a cover for a cereal bowl that had leftovers in it.

So what else should I be buying to "complete" my set? I have another bounce back coupon, will have another survey, and I'm sure they'll let me use another outlet coupon for another $22 off my next purchase.

Pieces I'm considering:
4-6 more dinner plates (12-14 total)
2 of the 2qt. serving bowls
12 of the salad/soup bowls that my stepmother said are good for soup/chili because it is shallow and cools stuff quickly
what else?

o_mom
07-06-2012, 06:39 AM
We have 14 dinner plates and 12 lunch plates. We always run out of lunch plates way before dinner plates (as in never get to the bottom of the dinner plate stack). The kids use the lunch plates for all meals and the adults use them for lunch and smaller meals/snacks. I'm considering picking up a few more lunch plates, but maybe with the divided plates in the mix you will be OK.

Part of it, though, is the size of your dishwasher. We replaced our 20+ yo small tub dishwasher recently and the 8 lunch plates that were getting us by were suddenly always in the diswasher, but it was not full enough to run. Same thing with cereal/soup bowls (we have 12) - what was fine with the small dishwasher being run at least once and usually twice a day was not enough when it is only run once a day or less.

Some smaller bowls for snacks or desserts are good as well. I think we have the 10 oz bowls and I would love to get some of the 6 oz bowls.

I think the rimmed soup bowls would be good. We have a few of those style that are a separate pattern, so I haven't added them to our Correlle yet, but eventually will.

liz
07-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Have you looked into the Corelle Simply Lite serving dishes? They are awesome! I have 3 dishes and my mom now has 2. If/when I break my more traditional ceramic serving dishes,
I will replace them with the Corelle. We looove them.

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Have you looked into the Corelle Simply Lite serving dishes? They are awesome! I have 3 dishes and my mom now has 2. If/when I break my more traditional ceramic serving dishes,
I will replace them with the Corelle. We looove them.
I haven't looked at them. What do you like about them?

Momit
07-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Pieces I'm considering:
4-6 more dinner plates (12-14 total)
2 of the 2qt. serving bowls
12 of the salad/soup bowls that my stepmother said are good for soup/chili because it is shallow and cools stuff quickly
what else?

We really like those shallow soup bowls. We have 5 of them that we use for DS's plates. The sides make it a little easier for him to scoop up his food (he's almost 4).

Dream
07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Is there a sale at the corelle outlets or is it a good deal because you're using coupons? We bought one of their boxed sets but would like to pick up 2 more sets and wondering whether they're discounted

MamaMolly
07-06-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm going to have to look into the lunch plates! We have about 16 or 20 of the dinner size and I use the bread and butter for the kids. I'd love to have something in between. I also have a TON of bowls. They were marked $1 each once upon a time at Walmart and I stocked up.

I also have the 2 qt serving or salad bowl. I'd love to have a total of 4. It is so handy and aways in the dishwasher.

liz
07-06-2012, 08:24 AM
I haven't looked at them. What do you like about them?

They are made of the same material as Corelle dishes, so they are VERY lightweight. This is esp good when the dish is full of food. Plus they have all the other benefits of corelle dishes, easy to wash, chip resistant etc. They also come with glass or plastic lids.

belovedgandp
07-06-2012, 08:31 AM
We are a family of 5 and last time I bought I did 16 place settings - dinner, salad, mug and bowl. The extra mugs get in the way, but we use everything else.

Salad plates get the most use here. If it's just us as a family I tend to use them for everything since they do fit in the dishwasher better. But we have people over enough and I use the dinner plates as serving pieces so do use those 16 also.

Plus I broke a salad plate so I feel like I'm regularly right on the edge of running out of those.

I like having two sets of bowls also. The ones with my pottery are larger sized. I have smaller ones I picked up for scoops of ice cream and little snacks.

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Is there a sale at the corelle outlets or is it a good deal because you're using coupons? We bought one of their boxed sets but would like to pick up 2 more sets and wondering whether they're discounted
The outlets have a sale (50%off when you buy 12 pieces- before my coupons - through the 15th I believe, but only on open stock plates, bowls, and something else - no accessories. The boxed sets weren't on a deep sale this week, but last week, it seemed like they were $20 vs $30 for the 12 piece set (no mugs.) The Fun Paks (2 qt. bowl, 4 deep 10 oz bowls) were marked down to $19 (from $27?) but the girl said they do go down to $12 sometimes. I'm waiting for that.

Ok, so it sounds like 16 lunch plates and dinner plates would be good? That makes sense. A billion of them seem to fit in the bosch dishwasher where we are staying right now.

jjordan
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
We don't have any lunch plates, just dinner and bread & butter. If you're routinely having 12 for dinner, do they all use dinner plates, or do some (ie kids?) use lunch plates? If everyone uses dinner plates then I'd honestly get a total of about 20 of those. They seem to be what breaks and/or goes missing for us more often than that. Plus we often use a few in preparing dinner for a crowd (eg holding the raw hamburgers when grilling, or using in the microwave to heat up tortillas, or whatever). So if we needed 12 for dinner, we'd want at least 16 in the house, and then add in a few for breaking/losing.

We also go through our bread & butter plates like water. But again, we don't have any lunch plates, so you might not use as many of those as us.

I'd probably get one more oval platter if I were you, and maybe another serving bowl or two (are these included in the sale?).

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes, the serving bowls are included. Our store was out of the 2qt but should have them back in stock over the weekend.