PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof sunscreen?

maestramommy
07-06-2012, 08:03 AM
We were using Neutrogena Baby Free or something like that. It's the pink and white tube that is spf 50. I think it worked okay, until you went in the water. Despite it's being labeled waterproof. I noticed it would start dribbling off the kids' faces. We usually only use sunscreen when the kids go swimming, and despite diligent application the kids are getting darker and darker:p

Any recs that won't break the bank? I remember using CVS sunscreen because it actually scored decently on the EWG website, but I don't know if it is waterproof.

brittone2
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
The FDA has cracked down on the labeling of sunscreens as waterproof:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/science/15sun.html

eta: looks like the date for it to go into effect got pushed back, but obviously even if it says waterproof the concern is that it really isn't. In a few months they won't be able to label it that way.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/truth-sunscreen-labels-lying/story?id=16432348#.T_baz3BXjrM

TwoBees
07-06-2012, 08:31 AM
No sunscreen is really water proof. Only water resistant. The J+J sunscreen stays on really well though in the water (I have to scrub DD in the bath to get it off).

DietCokeLover
07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
We have had good results from Coppertone Baby Pure and Simple SPF 50. We are in the pool 4 to 5 times per week.

boolady
07-06-2012, 08:47 AM
We have had good results from Coppertone Baby Pure and Simple SPF 50. We are in the pool 4 to 5 times per week.

We have, too. It says it's water resistant for 80 minutes, and DD has yet to get burned yet this year. It's zinc oxide based, so it leaves that whitish cast, but you can totally see the water bead on her skin on top of the sunscreen, so I know it's resistant, at least for a good while.

kristac
07-06-2012, 08:47 AM

:yeahthat:

lizzywednesday
07-06-2012, 08:48 AM
We use BabyGanics for DD's "water play days" at daycare. She's been fine. We do a combo of their pump-spray, lotion for the face and/or stick. The stick has the most water resistance.

I got this in a newsletter e-mail from CHoP yesterday:

Children's Health Tip of the Week
July 5, 2012
New Guidelines for Sunscreens

The sun has set on old sunscreen rules: goodbye SPF80, goodbye “sunblock,” goodbye waterproof and sweat proof. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced new requirements for sunscreens currently sold over the counter. That means big changes for the industry and for you. Soon the sunscreen aisles will be stocked with products bearing new labeling and new guidelines.

Before the changes, sunscreens mostly protected against sunburn, which is caused by ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation from the sun. However, it is the ultraviolet A radiation that contributes to skin cancer and early skin aging. The FDA seeks to establish “broad spectrum” tests for determining a sunscreen’s ultraviolet A (UVA) and UVB protection.

Sunscreens that pass the broad spectrum test will be labeled “broad spectrum” and will protect against both UVA and UVB rays. Data shows that broad spectrum SPF 15 or higher can reduce the risk of skin cancer and premature skin aging when combined with other protective measures, such as limiting time spent in the sun and wearing protective clothing.

Reading the label

Here is how it breaks down:

* Look for sunscreens that are labeled “broad spectrum.” Only “broad spectrum” sunscreens protect against UVA and UVB rays. Sunscreen products not labeled “broad spectrum,” or are “broad spectrum” with SPF levels between 2 and14 will carry a warning on the label indicating that the product can only protect against sunburn, and that spending time in the sun increases your chance of skin cancer and premature skin aging.
* Any sunscreen with an SPF higher than 50 will be labeled “50+.” The FDA does not have enough evidence to support that sunscreens with SPF higher than 50 provide better protection than those with SPF values of 15 to 50.
* Any claims of water or sweat resistance on the label must now indicate protection time. Labels will indicate how much time, 40 minutes or 80 minutes, you can enjoy the full protection benefits while sweating or swimming.
* For those of you who dread the repeat slather, we have some sad news. Manufacturers can no longer claim that their products are “waterproof” or “sweat proof.” Sunscreens should be re-applied every two hours, and more often if your child is spending a lot of time in the water. (emphasis mine)

Sun safety tips

No matter whether you are beachside, poolside or lakeside this summer, remember these basic sun safety tips:

* Use “broad spectrum” sunscreens. Choose ones with SPF 15 or higher.
* Limit time in the sun. Have fun indoors, especially between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
* Use extra protection for babies less than 6 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends protective clothing, hats and staying in the shade. However, if adequate clothing and shade aren’t available, you may use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher to small areas, such as the face and back of the hands. To treat sunburn in infants, use cool compresses on the affected areas.
* Dress yourself and your child in protective clothing. You can now find swim clothing that has UVA protection built in. Sunglasses and hats are also recommended.
* Reapply sunscreen often! Every two hours or more if your child is swimming or sweating.

Reviewed by: Patrick S. Pasquariello Jr., MD
Date: June 2012

sarahsthreads
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM

:yeahthat:

I'm so fair-skinned I burn if I stand too close to a window, and this sunblock prevents me (and both my kids) from burning, and our pool is in full sun for the vast majority of the day.

Interestingly enough, we did a science experiment with some UV sensitive beads and this sunblock last week, and they still changed color quickly...I can only assume it's because the beads are smooth plastic and the sunblock just didn't really "soak" into them? Because like I said, we don't get burned!

Sarah :)

TwoBees
07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Interestingly enough, we did a science experiment with some UV sensitive beads and this sunblock last week, and they still changed color quickly...I can only assume it's because the beads are smooth plastic and the sunblock just didn't really "soak" into them? Because like I said, we don't get burned!

Interesting. That coppertone sunblock is purely physical (I thought), which means it does not need to soak into the skin to work, it sits on top of the skin and forms a physical barrier. Maybe it didn't adhere well to the smooth beads?

georgiegirl
07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Interesting. That coppertone sunblock is purely physical (I thought), which means it does not need to soak into the skin to work, it sits on top of the skin and forms a physical barrier. Maybe it didn't adhere well to the smooth beads?

The copper tone sunblock is not purely physical. It's chemical too.

sarahsthreads
07-06-2012, 09:14 AM

That's what I meant - I know it doesn't soak in, but it was really hard to get any to stick! It did slow the color change down a little, but did not have the startling results we all expected.

I was trying to show DD1 why it was important to wear sunblock in the pool - so we had beads with and without sunblock in empty cups, and with and without sunblock in water. The beads with sunblock but not in water changed the least, the sunblock beads in water changed just as fast as without. Didn't really have the impact I was going for! I'm actually thinking they were so smooth they just rinsed right off, and maybe I should have put them in a baggie before dropping them in the water?

TwoBees
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
That's what I meant - I know it doesn't soak in, but it was really hard to get any to stick! It did slow the color change down a little, but did not have the startling results we all expected.

I was trying to show DD1 why it was important to wear sunblock in the pool - so we had beads with and without sunblock in empty cups, and with and without sunblock in water. The beads with sunblock but not in water changed the least, the sunblock beads in water changed just as fast as without. Didn't really have the impact I was going for! I'm actually thinking they were so smooth they just rinsed right off, and maybe I should have put them in a baggie before dropping them in the water?

Great experiment and teaching tool though! And it explains why it is so important to reapply sunblock when you get out of the water! Maybe the experiment would work better with some of that sun-changing paper instead? (like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/eafd/)

boolady
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Right. It's both.

sarahsthreads
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Great experiment and teaching tool though! And it explains why it is so important to reapply sunblock when you get out of the water! Maybe the experiment would work better with some of that sun-changing paper instead? (like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/eafd/)

Ooh, we have a pack of that stuff - we made sun prints just last week! I'll have to think about how to work that with being in water. The water makes the paper undergo a chemical reaction already, so maybe we'd just do a sun print of the same object on paper that has sunscreen and paper that doesn't for the same length of time and see how much clearer or darker the print is after. They've been asking to make more sun prints anyway!

maestramommy
07-06-2012, 09:26 AM
We have, too. It says it's water resistant for 80 minutes, and DD has yet to get burned yet this year. It's zinc oxide based, so it leaves that whitish cast, but you can totally see the water bead on her skin on top of the sunscreen, so I know it's resistant, at least for a good while.
Great, thanks! I don't care about the whitish cast. As long as it works.

So I should also start looking for the words, "Broad spectrum" now?

FTR, Dh and I use Neutrogena Dry touch spf 45 for ourselves. I just checked and it's broad spectrum. It also says waterproof, but I guess that will change. for the kids we were using up last year's Burts Bees spf 30, but although it's broad spectrum it doesn't say water resistant, in fact it says rinse with water to remove:p. I also hate the smell, esp. after it's been on for a while. Time to change brands!

Boolady and Dietcokelover, do you happen to know if it is non-core clogging? It would be nice to just have to buy one kind of sunscreen, but one reason I like the Neutrogena dry touch is that it doesn't make me break out. I *thought* I had heard that the physical barrier sunscreens tend to make you break out?

crl
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
You might also consider Blue Lizard. I have heard good things about it and water resistance.

The physical barrier sunblocks do not make me break out. In fact my everyday "foundation" is a tinted sunscreen that has a ton of zinc and it is one of the few kinds of make up my rosacea face can tolerate. (Believe it or not, it actually helps my rosacea) YMMV.

Catherine

Beth24
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
My kids are on a swim team and are doing a Junior lifeguard program (ie in the water a lot) and the babyganics lotion and stick has been working great for them.

sophiesmom03
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
We use Blue Lizard, the regular formula, and it stays on. It does give the kids a blue-ish tint to their skin, though. :)

SpaceGal
07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
We've used Vanicream Sport and it stays on. I tried Aveeno Baby but it comes off it the water...not a fan at all. Our dermatologist also recommended Vanicream for my son with horrible skin. Granted my kids look quite sparkly and white with it but it works.

Penny's Pappa
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I can only assume it's because the beads are smooth plastic and the sunblock just didn't really "soak" into them?

Or perhaps the beads are sensitive to UV wavelengths that the sunscreen is not designed to block?

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

Momit
07-06-2012, 01:32 PM
We love Vanicream Sensitive Skin SPF60 (or 50+ according to the new guidelines). We were in the water all day on the 4th and none of us burned at all - granted we also did hats, rashguards, sunglasses and took a break in the shade in the middle of the day, but still.

sarahsthreads
07-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Or perhaps the beads are sensitive to UV wavelengths that the sunscreen is not designed to block?

That's a good point as well. The sunscreen did make a difference (not a huge one) with the beads outside the water, though, so it was somewhat effective.

Tondi G
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
this goes on a bit white but we have had good luck with it. It's thick and I have had to use a washcloth and seriously scrub to get this off the back of my boys necks. Good Stuff!

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/314862/Johnson_%26_Johnson_Baby_Sunscreen_Lotion,_SPF_40/

We bought the Coppertone waterbabies pure and simple and while it didn't cause such a white cast it seemed to sting our eyes more when swimming (my DH even mentioned it stung his eyes some)

http://www.amazon.com/Coppertone-Waterbabies-Sunscreen-8-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001QXDZKM

MSWR0319
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
DS has been at swimming lessons this week for an hour each day during the worst part of the day and Babyganics has worked great. He's really fair and I can't tell he's been outside at all.

calv
07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
lots of raves for blue lizzard! works excellent w/only 1 application and many hours in the water

Kindra178
07-06-2012, 05:38 PM
You might also consider Blue Lizard. I have heard good things about it and water resistance.

The physical barrier sunblocks do not make me break out. Catherine

This to both. Love blue lizard. It's cheaper than CA Baby and goes on a little easier.

Tondi G
07-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Blue Lizard has Parabens in it, if that matters to you!

Blue Lizard Sensitive
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (5%), Zinc Oxide (10%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water (Purified), C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol, Hexyl Laurate, Trimethylated Silica/Dimethicone, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), PEG 7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sorbitol Oleate, Stearic Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben

Blue Lizard Baby
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (5%) (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide (10%) (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Trimethylated Silica/Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG 7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sorbitol Oleate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Stearic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

ahisma
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
We like All Terrain Sport. If we don't reapply after a couple of hours, the kids do get some color (as in a light tan), but we have never had a burn with it. I botched application on myself this week (missed a strip of my back) and burned badly within two hours. Much of that time was in the water, so it was definitely working.

maestramommy
07-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Blue Lizard Sensitive

Inactive Ingredients: Water (Purified), C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol, Hexyl Laurate, Trimethylated Silica/Dimethicone, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), PEG 7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sorbitol Oleate, Stearic Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben

Blue Lizard Baby
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (5%) (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide (10%) (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Trimethylated Silica/Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG 7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sorbitol Oleate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Stearic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

Rats! Really? I looked at the ingredients list on Amazon, and it didn't include parabens at all! I had actually decided to go with Blue Lizard over the coppertone because of this. BOO.

ETA: okay re-checked, and you're right. I misread. BOOOOOOOOOO. Well dang, I might as well just go with Coppertone and save money.

DrSally
07-07-2012, 10:46 AM

IT's too bad, b/c otherwise I would use it (I'm allergic to most chemical sunscreens). I use Blue Lizard baby/sensitive. IT does bead up, but I need to reapply. I also use a Walgreens spf 70 (meaningless when it gets that high). I think it's a knock off of Neutrogena. It's very "dry" in application, like drags over my face, but stays on through sweat. The kids and I have been getting dark this summer though, so I don't know if we're not reapplying enough or what.

DrSally
07-07-2012, 10:48 AM
If you buy blue lizard, I get the big bottle on drugstore.com when they have 20% off.

calv
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Blue Lizard Sensitive

Blue Lizard Baby

which block doesn't have parabens in it that people on here like/love?

AnnieW625
08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
which block doesn't have parabens in it that people on here like/love?

Coppertone Pure & Simple
Johnson & Johnson No More Tears Baby
Nature's Gate Aquablock SPF50

calv
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Coppertone Pure & Simple
Johnson & Johnson No More Tears Baby
Nature's Gate Aquablock SPF50

will DEF will be checking these out/getting some for our trip to FL. THANK YOU :D

Tondi G
08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to say we went on a trip to Cabo San Lucas. DH and I thought we would be alright with the new Alba mineral sunscreen we bought and decided to forgo our rash guards one day. We were SO sorry and burned like lobsters on our shoulders!

Our boys wore their rashguards and I put the J&J no more tears sun screen on their faces arms and legs.... with some re-applications with a Neutrogena pure and free baby stick on their faces regularly. The boys were fine. I also bought a kids kiss my face oil spray (for everyone's scalp since my boys have short cuts and DH is bald)... I figured a little chemical sunscreen on their scalps is better than a sunburned head.

learned our lesson... use the good thick stuff in Mexico (we used both J&J no more tears (face and arms) and coppertone pure & simple this one spreads better and easier to apply on legs)... save the Alba for at home here in so Cal.