PDA

View Full Version : What age for earbuds?

Toba
07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I love, love, love my noise canceling in-ear headphones. I use them frequently to de-stress and sometimes to go to sleep. DS (8) has been asking for a pair like mine, but up until now I've only let him use traditional big suction cup-like headphones. He just went through the last (cheap) pair that I bought him for Christmas. Should I spend a bit more and get him nice replacement headphones (ones that cancel noise out for him AND the people around him) or is he old enough for earbuds?

AnnieW625
07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
What about something like these? I can't stand traditional ear buds, but much prefer these over the head ones that don't cover the entire ear (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005N6KG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000095SB6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S2QBZPRKHJ90CGGKZYM).

I think I got my first ear buds when I was 12, but that was in 1989 so there wasn't much choice. I think I switched over to the above style when I was in high school or college and I got irritated with the ear buds falling out when I was jogging.

o_mom
07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I guess I don't understand what age has to do with it? My 5 yo uses earbuds and has for over a year. We got noise limiting ones so that he cannot turn it up too loud.

AngB
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
We've just had two teenage boys in our area a few weeks apart, die from walking home along railroad tracks with earbuds in, they were both hit by trains that they never heard coming even though both trains saw them and were blowing the horns in warning. So...I would make sure your 8 year old doesn't use them when playing outside, (or only has one in), but otherwise I think it's okay especially if you get ones that don't go as loud.

infomama
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Dd is 8 and she uses these. www.amazon.com/Kidz-Gear-Wired-Headphones-Kids/dp/B0007NWL70
She recently tried my marshmallow ear buds on a trip and she liked them as well.
www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+Marshmallow+Soft+Earbud+Headphones+-+Black/3294573.p?skuId=3294573&id=1218394224839

squimp
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
My DD didn't like them until about age 8 - she still prefers the over-ear variety though.

Toba
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Annie, yes, I like the ones you linked to, just not so sure how well the noise canceling would work with that type (for the listener AND the people in the same room).

O-mom, I think I've been wary because of developing eardrums/canals and all that. Most earbuds are made for adult ears, even though they (at least decent ones) usually come with different sized silicone tips. I'm also wary because I've been told by various audiophiles that the way I use earbuds is unsafe for my ears (dedicated side sleeper, so I'm always on the lookout for earbuds that don't "crush" and distort the sound when the weight of my head pushes down on the earbud that's against the pillow). DS likes to sleep the same way, so I'm really aware of that.

Ang-B, that is just so sad. DS never wears earphones outside and I wouldn't allow it anyway (he's not responsible enough to have possession of my iPod out in the dirt; his hand-me-down Touch just crapped out and we're considering replacing it). After reading your story, I have been reminded to tell DS WHY so that when he's older and more dependent, he'll know the dangers.

I think we might take him to Apple this weekend. When I bought my last pair, they actually allowed me to try a few pairs in-store and they also accept returns of them.