PDA

View Full Version : Have you done a mud run?

smiles33
07-06-2012, 01:13 PM
A bunch of ladies from my kickboxing class are trying to recruit me to do a mud run in October with them, but I don't run (other than in this class, so it's been decades since I ran more than a mile). I'm also not sure how much training I'll need to do to get in shape. The good news is that the mud run they're looking at is for ladies only, of all abilities, so it's not Tough Mudder. I think they said 5K?

WWYD?

StantonHyde
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Do it!!! I am a runner and am planning on doing one with a group of women this fall. Now, the women who are getting me into this--they each have a good 40 pounds to lose and they love these mud runs. The one woman I know can't run a full 5K, she runs and walks. And she did a 10K mud run--took her 2 hours. She LOVES them. I am sold and said I want to do it with them. They didn't want me because they said I would be too fast for their group. I said I am not doing this for time--this is for fun!! And half the hilarity is watching each other get over the obstacles. (or in my friend's case, since she is really short--going UNDER them!) It's just pure fun. Expect to be bruised from the obstacles.

Wear shoes and clothes you plan on throwing away. My friend recommends going to Walmart and getting compression shorts and a sports bra. Wear an old t shirt. You dont' want baggy shorts because the mud and gravel get in them!! And pay for the hot shower afterwards--you will need it!!!

baymom
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Do it!!! I did my first one with some friends this year and it was a blast! While there are hard core participants, most people we saw were run/walking. I agree with PP about finding the most inexpensive shoes, bra and shorts you can find because you'll want to throw them out afterwards! At mine, they actually collected shoes people planned to toss and were going to wash and donate them. I bought mine for about $10 at KMart!

smiles33
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Cool! Glad to hear it's fun even if you're not a hard-core athlete. OK, I'm leaning towards doing it!