PDA

View Full Version : People who don't leave voicemail messages

niccig
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
DH, MIL, some friends will call and refuse to leave a message. I am supposed to see the missed call and call them back. I don't. If it's not important enough to leave a message, then it's not important enough for me to call back. If you left a message what it is about, I could find the information you need, eg how many feet wide the outdoor seating area is, and then call back with the answer. But as you didn't leave a message, I won't know I need to find the measuring tape until your next phone call.

How difficult is it to leave a message

queenmama
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Ha! DH is on the opposite end of the spectrum; he HATES getting vm (never ever checks it) so he assumes everyone feels the same. ;)

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

hellokitty
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Lol. My mil is the same way or else she'll leave a message in Korean and then get upset if I don't respond or obviously cant pass it onto dh. It really helps a LOT if you take the time to leave the vm in a language that is understandable. Duh!

pastrygirl
07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes! If I want a call back, I'll leave a message. And PLEASE listen to my message before calling me back. But that's a topic for another bp.

rin
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Ha! DH is on the opposite end of the spectrum; he HATES getting vm (never ever checks it) so he assumes everyone feels the same. ;)

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

:yeahthat: except that's how I am. Most of my siblings don't listen to voicemail either, so we just send a text if we want to leave a message.

ha98ed14
07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Yes! If I want a call back, I'll leave a message. And PLEASE listen to my message before calling me back. But that's a topic for another bp.

I am totally guilty of this! I hate checking voicemail! It's one of the reasons I LOVE Google Voice. They email or text you the message transcription and you can read it!

gatorsmom
07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Ugh, that is so annoying! My brother is like that. It is annoying. Doesn't it make more sense to leave a short message telling me what you need instead of leaving no message or one saying simply, "call me, I need to ask you something."? And then we play phone tag all afternoon and by the end of the day I STILL have no idea what he needs. And it is always something simple that needs a yes/no answer. The last one was if i knew where the keys were to Dad's trailer. Um, nope, I don't. just one of the many things I love about my brother. :rolleye0014:

wellyes
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I honestly think modern etiquette, at least among younger folks, is no VM. A missed call means "let's chat", if there is actual info to impart they text or message, or, if dealing with an old person, send an email.

fivi2
07-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I honestly think modern etiquette, at least among younger folks, is no VM. A missed call means "let's chat", if there is actual info to impart they text or message, or, if dealing with an old person, send an email.

I don't know about the youngsters, but with my sister and my dh and me, this is what the standard is. With friends I usually leave a message.

trales
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I am the person you are talking about. I never leave messages and hate to get them. I love my missed call list.

niccig
07-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I am the person you are talking about. I never leave messages and hate to get them. I love my missed call list.

I never check this. On my phone it's annoying to get the missed messages pop-up, so I just close that so I can make the phone call I want, then I never go back to check who called me.

TwinFoxes
07-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I can see why it's annoying if someone needs something specific, and gets annoyed at you! But if I'm just calling to chat I don't leave a "hey, how's it going, just calling to say hi. You can call me back if you feel like it" message. Usually I have a small window of opportunity to talk, and chances are a callback will come at an inopportune time!

sarahsthreads
07-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I can see why it's annoying if someone needs something specific, and gets annoyed at you! But if I'm just calling to chat I don't leave a "hey, how's it going, just calling to say hi. You can call me back if you feel like it" message. Usually I have a small window of opportunity to talk, and chances are a callback will come at an inopportune time!

:yeahthat:

I pretty much only leave messages when I call older relatives. My grandmother assumes that if you call and don't leave a message, it's because you're in the midst of an emergency and didn't have time to stay on the line, and she will literally have a panic attack. I'm not entirely sure what her thinking is...I just got in a car accident and instead of calling 911 I decided to call my housebound grandmother...? So for her I am certain to leave a message, even if it's "Hi, I was just calling to chat, hope you're having a great day!" But sometimes even then she still calls me back on the verge of panic because she saw that I called but didn't check her messages yet. Sigh.

Sarah :)

LD92599
07-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I hate the co-workers that leave a vm: it's so&so, call me. They couldn't just IM me?!?

roseyloxs
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM

:yeahthat: I expect DH to call me back after a missed call. For everyone else though I either leave a VM, send a text or write an email depending on how urgent the situation is.

Green_Tea
07-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't call back people who don't leave a message and actually get annoyed when people call me and say, "I saw you called" when *I* didn't leave a message.

I hate VM and much prefer an email or a text.