PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling on a sitter - etiquette question

L'sMommy
07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
We were supposed to have a sitter tonight for DS for a couple of hours to go have dinner. DS is not well so I cancelled the sitter. Tried to get her for later in the weekend but she's leaving for a long vacation. Are you supposed to compensate a sitter for cancelling on them last minute? She's in high school, lives in the neighborhood, and I typically book her through her mom. This would have been the 3rd time we used her - we rarely get sitters. Just wondering what the rule of thumb is here.

pinkmomagain
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
My dd1 is a high school-aged babysitter who gets booked through me and we would not expect to be compensated for the cancellation. She's probably happy because she gets to go out with her friends - lol!

nfowife
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
No, in that scenario I wouldn't compensate her since it's not a regular job. Next time if I might give her $10 extra as a "sorry I cancelled on you last time" bonus.

KpbS
07-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I have offered to before--esp. when they have given up making plans like for a holiday or other important event but both times they have refused. I do like to schedule another date in the future as a do-over if possible.

hollybloom24
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
If I like the sitter and want her back, I pay her for 2-3 extra hours the next time I see her and tell her it is for cancelling on her short notice. If I cancel with more than a week to go, I typically do not compensate.

candaceb
07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I offer to pay and they have said "don't worry about it both times I have cancelled a sitter. I think it's nice to at least offer since they may have passed on something else.